unsubscribe

Amir Sanjar

unsubscribe

Re: unsubscribe

Brian Bockelman
Alright folks, enough is enough.

While it's fun to watch the number of people who do not know how to work with a basic mailing list, I'd like to have my inbox back.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, do not send a message like the one below.

Instead, send an email to [hidden email] containing the subject "unsubscribe".

Thanks,

Brian

On Aug 8, 2012, at 9:03 AM, Amir Sanjar <[hidden email]> wrote:

unsubscribe

Re: unsubscribe

John Armstrong-2
On 08/08/2012 10:33 AM, Shailesh Samudrala wrote:
> why are so many people unsubscribing? and this isnt the place to
> unsubscribe too!. Am i missing something? I got like 40 unsubscribe
> emails today morning!

My best guess is that they've been spam-filtering the old X-user@hadoop
lists for a while now and didn't realize they were still subscribed
(probably 'cause they CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE A MAILING LIST).  When
the list address changed they started getting emails in their inboxes again.

Re: unsubscribe

Dan O'Bryan
The behavior of this list has changed in the last 24 hours, thus emails that were previously filtered nicely into the proper folder are now hitting my inbox. I dont know what has changed, but based on the number of people unsubscribing (improperly), I'm guessing my experience is not unusual and all these people are trying to get *their* inboxes back. Possibly the list is sending from or to a different address now?

Dan O'Bryan, SBD, HND

On Aug 8, 2012, at 10:29 AM, "Brian Bockelman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alright folks, enough is enough.

While it's fun to watch the number of people who do not know how to work with a basic mailing list, I'd like to have my inbox back.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, do not send a message like the one below.

Instead, send an email to [hidden email] containing the subject "unsubscribe".

Thanks,

Brian

On Aug 8, 2012, at 9:03 AM, Amir Sanjar <[hidden email]> wrote:

unsubscribe

RE: unsubscribe

Chris Folsom

I suppose it would't be politically correct to ask how anyone expects to
be able to write software if they can't read.

  unsubscribe

Re: unsubscribe

Alex McLintock
> what the hell, why so many unsubscribing mail

Because so many people were made to join this mailing list without
being asked first.

On 8 August 2012 15:50, Dan O'Bryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The behavior of this list has changed in the last 24 hours, thus emails that
> were previously filtered nicely into the proper folder are now hitting my
> inbox. I dont know what has changed,

Lots of us were on totally different mailing lists but were just
subscribed to the [hidden email] without being asked. But that
mailing list has been subsumed into the all purpose user one.

> but based on the number of people
> unsubscribing (improperly), I'm guessing my experience is not unusual and
> all these people are trying to get *their* inboxes back. Possibly the list
> is sending from or to a different address now?

It is. For instance I was reading [hidden email] and my
mail program filters were using that string specifically.

===

Someone also commented on being able to read. Well I can look at this
email and it is NOT obvious how to unsubscribe especially to a list
they didn't join in the first place.

Re: unsubscribe

zGreenfelder
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Alex McLintock
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> what the hell, why so many unsubscribing mail
>
> Because so many people were made to join this mailing list without
> being asked first.

no, they weren't asked, but they were informed several times that the
lists would be merging.   I know I've seen no less than 3 emails,
probably received far more.

> On 8 August 2012 15:50, Dan O'Bryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The behavior of this list has changed in the last 24 hours, thus emails that
>> were previously filtered nicely into the proper folder are now hitting my
>> inbox. I dont know what has changed,
>

> Lots of us were on totally different mailing lists but were just
> subscribed to the [hidden email] without being asked. But that
> mailing list has been subsumed into the all purpose user one.

No.  No.  No.   you were on X-user@, and several of the X-user lists
all merged down into a single list since there's lots and lots of
cross pollination.

>> but based on the number of people
>> unsubscribing (improperly), I'm guessing my experience is not unusual and
>> all these people are trying to get *their* inboxes back. Possibly the list
>> is sending from or to a different address now?
>
> It is. For instance I was reading [hidden email] and my
> mail program filters were using that string specifically.

so you are familiar with email headers, but still having a problem.

> ===
>
> Someone also commented on being able to read. Well I can look at this
> email and it is NOT obvious how to unsubscribe especially to a list
> they didn't join in the first place.

merging lists isn't nearly the same as randomly subscribing people to
lists.   if you'd look at your mail headers, it's excessively clear:

so people didn't read the notices coming in about merging, can't be
bothered to read headers for something they clearly understand is a
list and want to unsubscribe from, can't be bothered to do some
googling to find how to properly unsubscribe, won't check old emails
to see how they subscribed in the first place and don't seem to read
their own "UNSUBSCRIBE" attempts.   I perhaps less 'can't' and more
won't.
--
Even the Magic 8 ball has an opinion on email clients: Outlook not so good.