using Plucene and Plucene::Simple

Dean Hoover-2
I have developed some simple programs in java form creating lucene indexes and then using them to search. I now have an interest in using perl to use the indexes for search purposes, but am having trouble doing even the simplest thing using Plucene and Plucene::Simple. If anyone here can help, I would appreciate it. After googling and attempting to use Plucene directly, it appeared that it would be better to use Plucene::Simple. Trouble is, it will not install, either on my windows XP box or my linux box. In both cases, the install fails (more or less) the same way. Here is the message from the linux box:

  make: *** [test] Error 255
  /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
Running make install
  make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
Failed during this command:
  ADIE/Test-Class-0.11.tar.gz                  : make_test NO
  STRYTOAST/PluceneSimple-1.04.tar.gz          : make_test NO

  There are a bunch of test failures before that. I installed Plucene (1.24) just fine.

  The example code on the Plucene perldoc page could be a little more complete. All I want to do is use QueryParser against a lucene index I created using java, and get back a list of documents. I have done this in java but seem to be lacking the Rosetta stone to do it in perl. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  Thanks.
  Dean

---------------------------------
Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone  calls to 30+ countries for just 2ยข/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

Re: using Plucene and Plucene::Simple

Marvin Humphrey

On Apr 18, 2006, at 2:20 AM, Dean Hoover wrote:

> I have developed some simple programs in java form creating lucene
> indexes and then using them to search. I now have an interest in
> using perl to use the indexes for search purposes, but am having
> trouble doing even the simplest thing using Plucene and
> Plucene::Simple.

Plucene and Lucene do not use the same index format.  It's very
difficult to implement the Lucene format using Perl.  KinoSearch 0.05
managed it if your source material was pure ASCII, but I changed the
format in 0.06 and they're no longer compatible.

Things will get a lot easier if this change is made: <http://
issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-510>.

> If anyone here can help, I would appreciate it. After googling and
> attempting to use Plucene directly, it appeared that it would be
> better to use Plucene::Simple.

Plucene::Simple is just a wrapper -- it won't help.

Plucene can of course read and write its own indexes, but if you are
considering doing that, you should also be aware that it is quite
slow: <http://www.rectangular.com/kinosearch/benchmarks.html>.

Regards,

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: using Plucene and Plucene::Simple

Chris Hostetter-3

As marvin mentioned, there are some UTF-8 incompatabilities between java
lucene and Plucene.

Incidently: your best bet for getting assistence with Plucene is the
Plucene mailing lists, as identified at the bottom of "perldoc Plucene" ...

...perl discusions don't tend to come up much on java-dev@lucene.

: Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 06:35:29 -0700
: From: Marvin Humphrey <[hidden email]>
: To: [hidden email]
: Subject: Re: using Plucene and Plucene::Simple
:
:
[...]
: To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
: For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
: