versions of documentation: suggestion for improvement

versions of documentation: suggestion for improvement

Arturas Mazeika
Hi Solr-Team,

If I google for specific features for solr, I usually get redirected to 6.6
version of the documentation, like this one:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/overview-of-documents-fields-and-schema-design.html

Since I am playing with 7.2 version of solr, I almost always need to change
this manually through to:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_2/overview-of-documents-fields-and-schema-design.html

(by clicking on the url, going to the number, and replacing two
characters). This is somewhat cumbersome (especially after the first dozen
of changes in urls. Suggestion:

(1) Would it make sense to include other versions of the document as urls
on the page? See, e.g., the following documentation of postgres, where each
page has a pointer to the same page in different versions:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-createtable.html

(especially "This page in other versions: 9.3
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-createtable.html> / 9.4
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-createtable.html> / 9.5
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/sql-createtable.html> / *9.6* /
current
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createtable.html> (10
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-createtable.html>)" line on
the page)

(2) Would it make sense in addition to include "current", pointing to the
latest current release?

This would help to find solr relevant infos from search engines faster.

Cheers,
Arturas

Re: versions of documentation: suggestion for improvement

Chris Hostetter-3

There's been some discussion along the lines of doing some things like
what you propose which were spun out of discussion in SOLR-10595 into the
issue LUCENE-7924 ... but so far no one has attempted the
tooling/scripting work needed to make it happen.

Pathes certainly welcome.

: Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 09:55:35 +0200
: From: Arturas Mazeika <[hidden email]>
: To: [hidden email]
: Subject: versions of documentation: suggestion for improvement
:
: Hi Solr-Team,
:
[...]

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: versions of documentation: suggestion for improvement

Erick Erickson
One thing I do is download the complete ref guide as a PDF file.The
"Other formats">>"Archived PDFs" will let you download them.

Then I can search just within that PDF. This has plusses and minuses,
but I thought I'd mention it.

Best,
Erick

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 4:49 PM, Chris Hostetter
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's been some discussion along the lines of doing some things like
> what you propose which were spun out of discussion in SOLR-10595 into the
> issue LUCENE-7924 ... but so far no one has attempted the
> tooling/scripting work needed to make it happen.
>
> Pathes certainly welcome.
>

> : Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 09:55:35 +0200
> : From: Arturas Mazeika <[hidden email]>
> : To: [hidden email]
> : Subject: versions of documentation: suggestion for improvement
> :
> : Hi Solr-Team,
> :
> : If I google for specific features for solr, I usually get redirected to 6.6
> : version of the documentation, like this one:
> :
> : https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/overview-of-documents-fields-and-schema-design.html
> :
> : Since I am playing with 7.2 version of solr, I almost always need to change
> : this manually through to:
> :
> : https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_2/overview-of-documents-fields-and-schema-design.html
> :
> : (by clicking on the url, going to the number, and replacing two
> : characters). This is somewhat cumbersome (especially after the first dozen
> : of changes in urls. Suggestion:
> :
> : (1) Would it make sense to include other versions of the document as urls
> : on the page? See, e.g., the following documentation of postgres, where each
> : page has a pointer to the same page in different versions:
> :
> : https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-createtable.html
> :
> : (especially "This page in other versions: 9.3
> : <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-createtable.html> / 9.4
> : <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-createtable.html> / 9.5
> : <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/sql-createtable.html> / *9.6* /
> : current
> : <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createtable.html> (10
> : <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-createtable.html>)" line on
> : the page)
> :
> : (2) Would it make sense in addition to include "current", pointing to the
> : latest current release?
> :
> : This would help to find solr relevant infos from search engines faster.
> :
> : Cheers,
> : Arturas
> :
>
> -Hoss
> http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: versions of documentation: suggestion for improvement

Arturas Mazeika
Hi Hoss et al,

Thanks for the prompt answer and the links. I see there's quite some
interesting discussions around the issue already. Let me take some time to
get into details.

I also noticed that there's the concept of "latest" (similar to "current"
in postgres documentation) in solr. This is pretty cool. I am afraid
though, that this currently is somewhat confusing. E.g., if I search for
managed schema in google I get this as 1st url:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/schema-factory-definition-in-solrconfig.html

now if I try to replace 6_6 with latest:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/latest/schema-factory-definition-in-solrconfig.html

I am redirected to

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_3/latest/schema-factory-definition-in-solrconfig.html

(with "latest" in the url, which, of course, does not exist).

But let me meditate on this a bit.

@Erik: good point w.r.t PDF :-)

Cheers,
Arturas

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 1:49 AM, Chris Hostetter <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> : This would help to find solr relevant infos from search engines faster.
> :
> : Cheers,
> : Arturas
> :
>
> -Hoss
> http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: versions of documentation: suggestion for improvement

Chris Hostetter-3

: I also noticed that there's the concept of "latest" (similar to "current"
: in postgres documentation) in solr. This is pretty cool. I am afraid
: though, that this currently is somewhat confusing. E.g., if I search for
: managed schema in google I get this as 1st url:
:
: https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/schema-factory-definition-in-solrconfig.html
:
: now if I try to replace 6_6 with latest:

i'm not sure where you got the impression that *replacing* a version
number with "/latest" in the URL was designed to work ... the redirects
are setup so that if you *remove* the version number, the rest of the path
will redirect to the current version.

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/schema-factory-definition-in-solrconfig.html

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/