wiki software

Mark Miller-3
I know there was a long debate about wiki software and docs and what not. It got long enough that I petered out on it.

In some ways, I guess this is a lazy plea for someone that did follow along to summarize. Did we get anywhere? Is there an action item to start on?

I'm in the same spot I was when I started that thread - the first bite I'm after is switching from the dated moin moin to the modern confluence. It seems as easy as opening a JIRA issue to get a confluence space up.

Should we just do that and start migrating, and take further leaps from there?

Or is there some fallout from the previous debate that should be incorporated into the next move?

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Re: wiki software

Ryan McKinley
A *long* time ago we discussed converting to confluence to replace the
forest site.  The key issue was that only commiters could have access
if we want to include the generated PDF in the distribution.  This is
all moot now that we have ditched forest.

Since then the discussion has come up and I think everyone is in favor
of the idea, but noone has taken the steps to make it happen.  I
suggest we:

1. Create infra JIRA issue to:
 * delete the old https://cwiki.apache.org/SOLRxSITE/  test
 * create https://cwiki.apache.org/SOLR
 * create https://cwiki.apache.org/LUCENE

2. Convert existing sites using
 https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/UWC/UWC+MoinMoin+Notes
I don't know if this is something we can do, or we can make an infra
JIRA issue for

3. replace existing MoinMoin sites with links to cwiki
https://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/

ryan

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know there was a long debate about wiki software and docs and what not. It got long enough that I petered out on it.
>
> In some ways, I guess this is a lazy plea for someone that did follow along to summarize. Did we get anywhere? Is there an action item to start on?
>
> I'm in the same spot I was when I started that thread - the first bite I'm after is switching from the dated moin moin to the modern confluence. It seems as easy as opening a JIRA issue to get a confluence space up.
>
> Should we just do that and start migrating, and take further leaps from there?
>
> Or is there some fallout from the previous debate that should be incorporated into the next move?
>
> - Mark Miller
> lucidimagination.com

Re: wiki software

Grant Ingersoll-2

On May 19, 2012, at 5:55 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

A *long* time ago we discussed converting to confluence to replace the
forest site.  The key issue was that only commiters could have access
if we want to include the generated PDF in the distribution.  This is
all moot now that we have ditched forest.

Since then the discussion has come up and I think everyone is in favor
of the idea, but noone has taken the steps to make it happen.  I
suggest we:

1. Create infra JIRA issue to:
* delete the old https://cwiki.apache.org/SOLRxSITE/  test
* create https://cwiki.apache.org/SOLR
* create https://cwiki.apache.org/LUCENE

+1

2. Convert existing sites using
https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/UWC/UWC+MoinMoin+Notes
I don't know if this is something we can do, or we can make an infra
JIRA issue for

I'd actually argue we skip this, kind of.  I'd like to see us have a left hand nav that represents the versions and then we copy the docs into each version and then go through and make sure everything jives per version.  While this is more work up front, I think in the long run, it will result in a much better experience for our users.

[...]

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Agree with Grant that we need a better, more structured documentation set, per version.
But let's first do what Ryan suggests - switch to Confluence - put all converted MoinMoin pages in a separate legacy section of the Wiki.

Then in phase II start an effort do do a fresh documentation for version 4.0 only, but first outlining the structure and placeholder pages and then filling in the meat. A good thing about Confluence is that we could probably use macros to link to SVN and Javadoc and in various ways auto genereate parts of the docs.

This way we can migrate Wiki software without being held up by the need to rewrite everything, and we do not need to keep updating two systems.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.facebook.com/Cominvent

On May 23, 2012, at 7:57 PM, Jan Høydahl wrote:

> Agree with Grant that we need a better, more structured documentation set, per version.
> But let's first do what Ryan suggests - switch to Confluence - put all converted MoinMoin pages in a separate legacy section of the Wiki.
>
> Then in phase II start an effort do do a fresh documentation for version 4.0 only, but first outlining the structure and placeholder pages and then filling in the meat. A good thing about Confluence is that we could probably use macros to link to SVN and Javadoc and in various ways auto genereate parts of the docs.

I'll open up the JIRA issues.

> This way we can migrate Wiki software without being held up by the need to rewrite everything, and we do not need to keep updating two systems.

I'm investigating ways to make this go smoother (maybe able to get some help to do this)