0.8 not loading plugins

Chris Stephens-3
I think I finally have my plugin ported to 0.8, however I cannot get my
plugin to load.

My plugin.includes file in conf/nutch-site.xml has the following for its
plugin.includes value:

<value>protocol-http|urlfilter-regex|parse-(text|html|js)|index-basic|query-(basic|site|url)|summary-basic|scoring-opic|custom-meta</value>

My plugin is the 'custom-meta' entry at the end.

My plugin never shows up in the Registered Plugins list in the
hadoop.log, and lines in my plugin that run logger.info never show up as
well.  Is there a step I am missing with 0.8, what should I do next to
debug the problem?

Thank you,

Chris Stephens

Re: 0.8 not loading plugins

Jonathan Addison
Hi Chris,

Chris Stephens wrote:

> I think I finally have my plugin ported to 0.8, however I cannot get
> my plugin to load.
>
> My plugin.includes file in conf/nutch-site.xml has the following for
> its plugin.includes value:
>
> <value>protocol-http|urlfilter-regex|parse-(text|html|js)|index-basic|query-(basic|site|url)|summary-basic|scoring-opic|custom-meta</value>
>

> My plugin is the 'custom-meta' entry at the end.
>
> My plugin never shows up in the Registered Plugins list in the
> hadoop.log, and lines in my plugin that run logger.info never show up
> as well.  Is there a step I am missing with 0.8, what should I do next
> to debug the problem?
Have you also added your plugin to plugin/build.xml?

--
Jonathan Addison                                 jon<at>wyona.com
Wyona Inc.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: 0.8 not loading plugins

Chris Stephens-3
I have this line in src/plugin/build.xml under the deploy section:

<ant dir="custom-meta" target="deploy" />

The plugin is compiling ok.  I spent several days getting errors on
compile and investing how to port them to 0.8.

Jonathan Addison wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Chris Stephens wrote:
>> I think I finally have my plugin ported to 0.8, however I cannot get
>> my plugin to load.
>>
>> My plugin.includes file in conf/nutch-site.xml has the following for
>> its plugin.includes value:
>>
>> <value>protocol-http|urlfilter-regex|parse-(text|html|js)|index-basic|query-(basic|site|url)|summary-basic|scoring-opic|custom-meta</value>
>>

>> My plugin is the 'custom-meta' entry at the end.
>>
>> My plugin never shows up in the Registered Plugins list in the
>> hadoop.log, and lines in my plugin that run logger.info never show up
>> as well.  Is there a step I am missing with 0.8, what should I do
>> next to debug the problem?
> Have you also added your plugin to plugin/build.xml?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Chris Stephens

RE: 0.8 not loading plugins

HUYLEBROECK Jeremy RD-ILAB-SSF-2

Did you check if your plugin.xml is read by putting the plugin package
in debug mode?
(put this in the log4j.properties)
log4j.logger.org.apache.nutch.plugin=DEBUG

Jonathan Addison wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Chris Stephens wrote:
>> I think I finally have my plugin ported to 0.8, however I cannot get
>> my plugin to load.
>>
>> My plugin.includes file in conf/nutch-site.xml has the following for
>> its plugin.includes value:
>>
>> <value>protocol-http|urlfilter-regex|parse-(text|html|js)|index-basic
>> |query-(basic|site|url)|summary-basic|scoring-opic|custom-meta</value
>> >

>> My plugin is the 'custom-meta' entry at the end.
>>
>> My plugin never shows up in the Registered Plugins list in the
>> hadoop.log, and lines in my plugin that run logger.info never show up

>> as well.  Is there a step I am missing with 0.8, what should I do
>> next to debug the problem?
> Have you also added your plugin to plugin/build.xml?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Chris Stephens

Re: 0.8 not loading plugins

Jonathan Addison
Chris Stephens wrote:
> I have this line in src/plugin/build.xml under the deploy section:
>
> <ant dir="custom-meta" target="deploy" />
>
> The plugin is compiling ok.  I spent several days getting errors on
> compile and investing how to port them to 0.8.

Ok, I've also added nutch-extensionpoints to the beginning of
plugin.includes. So for yours it would be:

<value>nutch-extensionpoints|protocol-http|urlfilter-regex|parse-(text|html|js)|index-basic|query-(basic|site|url)|summary-basic|scoring-opic|custom-meta</value>

And usually in plugin.xml there is:

<requires>
    <import plugin="nutch-extensionpoints"/>
 </requires>

HTH

--
Jonathan Addison                                 jon<at>wyona.com
Wyona Inc.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya
http://www.wyona.com                      http://lenya.apache.org

Re: 0.8 not loading plugins

Chris Stephens-3
Its definitely not trying to load my plugin, I added that debug setting
and didn't see anything regarding my plugin.  One thing I noticed is
that my plugin is not in the plugins directory.  At what point do the
plugs get copied there?  Here is the output from my compile:

compile:
     [echo] Compiling plugin: custom-meta
    [javac] Compiling 3 source files to
/usr/local/nutch-0.8/build/custom-meta/classes
    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.

jar:
      [jar] Building jar:
/usr/local/nutch-0.8/build/custom-meta/custom-meta.jar

deps-test:

deploy:
     [copy] Copying 1 file to /usr/local/nutch-0.8/build/plugins/custom-meta

HUYLEBROECK Jeremy RD-ILAB-SSF wrote:

> Did you check if your plugin.xml is read by putting the plugin package
> in debug mode?
> (put this in the log4j.properties)
> log4j.logger.org.apache.nutch.plugin=DEBUG

Re: 0.8 not loading plugins

chrismattmann
Hi Chris,

 It seems from your email message that your plugin is located in
$NUTCH_HOME/build/custom-meta? Is this where your plugin * code * is
currently stored? If so, this is the wrong location and the most likely
reason that your plugin isn't being loaded.

 Plugin code should live in $NUTCH_HOME/src/plugins, so in your case, you'd
have /usr/local/nutch-0.8/src/plugin/custom-meta, with the underlying plugin
code dir structure underneath there. Then, to deploy your plugin to the
build directory (which is $NUTCH_HOME/build/plugins), you would type: ant
deploy.

Give this a shot and see if that fixes it.

Cheers,
  Chris

On 8/17/06 3:05 PM, "Chris Stephens" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Its definitely not trying to load my plugin, I added that debug setting
> and didn't see anything regarding my plugin.  One thing I noticed is
> that my plugin is not in the plugins directory.  At what point do the
> plugs get copied there?  Here is the output from my compile:
>
> compile:
>      [echo] Compiling plugin: custom-meta
>     [javac] Compiling 3 source files to
> /usr/local/nutch-0.8/build/custom-meta/classes
>     [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
>     [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
>
> jar:
>       [jar] Building jar:
> /usr/local/nutch-0.8/build/custom-meta/custom-meta.jar
>
> deps-test:
>
> deploy:
>      [copy] Copying 1 file to /usr/local/nutch-0.8/build/plugins/custom-meta
>
> HUYLEBROECK Jeremy RD-ILAB-SSF wrote:
>> Did you check if your plugin.xml is read by putting the plugin package
>> in debug mode?
>> (put this in the log4j.properties)
>> log4j.logger.org.apache.nutch.plugin=DEBUG

Re: 0.8 not loading plugins

Chris Stephens-3
My code currently resides in $NUTCH_HOME/src/plugin/custom-meta .  The
output I pasted was from ant, I'm not sure what it does with the build
directory.  I do know that custom-meta never shows up in $NUTCH_HOME/plugin.

Chris Mattmann wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
>  It seems from your email message that your plugin is located in
> $NUTCH_HOME/build/custom-meta? Is this where your plugin * code * is
> currently stored? If so, this is the wrong location and the most likely
> reason that your plugin isn't being loaded.
>
>  Plugin code should live in $NUTCH_HOME/src/plugins, so in your case, you'd
> have /usr/local/nutch-0.8/src/plugin/custom-meta, with the underlying plugin
> code dir structure underneath there. Then, to deploy your plugin to the
> build directory (which is $NUTCH_HOME/build/plugins), you would type: ant
> deploy.
>
> Give this a shot and see if that fixes it.
>
> Cheers,
>   Chris
>

> On 8/17/06 3:05 PM, "Chris Stephens" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Its definitely not trying to load my plugin, I added that debug setting
>> and didn't see anything regarding my plugin.  One thing I noticed is
>> that my plugin is not in the plugins directory.  At what point do the
>> plugs get copied there?  Here is the output from my compile:
>>
>> compile:
>>      [echo] Compiling plugin: custom-meta
>>     [javac] Compiling 3 source files to
>> /usr/local/nutch-0.8/build/custom-meta/classes
>>     [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
>>     [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
>>
>> jar:
>>       [jar] Building jar:
>> /usr/local/nutch-0.8/build/custom-meta/custom-meta.jar
>>
>> deps-test:
>>
>> deploy:
>>      [copy] Copying 1 file to /usr/local/nutch-0.8/build/plugins/custom-meta
>>
>> HUYLEBROECK Jeremy RD-ILAB-SSF wrote:
>>
>>> Did you check if your plugin.xml is read by putting the plugin package
>>> in debug mode?
>>> (put this in the log4j.properties)
>>> log4j.logger.org.apache.nutch.plugin=DEBUG

Re: 0.8 not loading plugins

Chris Stephens-3
By manually copying the the custom-meta directory in build/plugin to
plugin/ I was able to get at least some debug output in my log.  It
doesn't really tell me much, any idea why it wouldn't be loading the
plugin when it has the correct entry in my nutch-site.xml?

2006-08-18 13:34:35,007 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - parsing:
/usr/local/nutch-0.8/plugins/custom-meta/plugin.xml
2006-08-18 13:34:35,010 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - plugin:
id=custommeta name=Custom Meta Parser/Filter version=0.0.1
provider=liveoakinteractive.comclass=null
2006-08-18 13:34:35,010 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - impl:
point=org.apache.nutch.parse.HtmlParseFilter
class=org.liveoak.nutch.parse.custommeta.CustomMetaParser
2006-08-18 13:34:35,011 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - impl:
point=org.apache.nutch.indexer.IndexingFilter
class=org.liveoak.nutch.parse.custommeta.CustomMetaIndexer
2006-08-18 13:34:35,011 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - impl:
point=org.apache.nutch.searcher.QueryFilter
class=org.liveoak.nutch.parse.custommeta.CustomMetaQueryFilter

2006-08-18 13:34:35,244 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - not including:
custommeta

Re: 0.8 not loading plugins

Chris Stephens-3
I'm at a loss on this.  I'm going to revert to using 0.7.2.  If anyone
has any insight on my problem, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Chris Stephens wrote:

> By manually copying the the custom-meta directory in build/plugin to
> plugin/ I was able to get at least some debug output in my log.  It
> doesn't really tell me much, any idea why it wouldn't be loading the
> plugin when it has the correct entry in my nutch-site.xml?
>
> 2006-08-18 13:34:35,007 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - parsing:
> /usr/local/nutch-0.8/plugins/custom-meta/plugin.xml
> 2006-08-18 13:34:35,010 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - plugin:
> id=custommeta name=Custom Meta Parser/Filter version=0.0.1
> provider=liveoakinteractive.comclass=null
> 2006-08-18 13:34:35,010 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - impl:
> point=org.apache.nutch.parse.HtmlParseFilter
> class=org.liveoak.nutch.parse.custommeta.CustomMetaParser
> 2006-08-18 13:34:35,011 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - impl:
> point=org.apache.nutch.indexer.IndexingFilter
> class=org.liveoak.nutch.parse.custommeta.CustomMetaIndexer
> 2006-08-18 13:34:35,011 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - impl:
> point=org.apache.nutch.searcher.QueryFilter
> class=org.liveoak.nutch.parse.custommeta.CustomMetaQueryFilter
>
> 2006-08-18 13:34:35,244 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - not including:
> custommeta

RE: 0.8 not loading plugins

HUYLEBROECK Jeremy RD-ILAB-SSF-2

The "not including: custommeta" sounds like a config file prob
Check your "plugin.includes" config in nutch-site.xml and the "id" of
your plugin and that everything match properly everywhere (your id is
custommeta apparently and should be the value in the plugin.includes if
I am not wrong).

The fact that the jar file is not copied in the
"build/plugins/custom-meta" folder is most likely a build.xml prob
during the deploy task.
You can modify the "src/plugin/build-plugin.xml" to verbose more stuff
if you want (verbose="true" in the deploy target for instance) or enable
the failonerror.

Aren't you missing a "-" somewhere in the plugin id of the project name
or elsewhere?

Chris Stephens wrote:

> By manually copying the the custom-meta directory in build/plugin to
> plugin/ I was able to get at least some debug output in my log.  It
> doesn't really tell me much, any idea why it wouldn't be loading the
> plugin when it has the correct entry in my nutch-site.xml?
>
> 2006-08-18 13:34:35,007 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - parsing:
> /usr/local/nutch-0.8/plugins/custom-meta/plugin.xml
> 2006-08-18 13:34:35,010 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - plugin:
> id=custommeta name=Custom Meta Parser/Filter version=0.0.1
> provider=liveoakinteractive.comclass=null
> 2006-08-18 13:34:35,010 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - impl:
> point=org.apache.nutch.parse.HtmlParseFilter
> class=org.liveoak.nutch.parse.custommeta.CustomMetaParser
> 2006-08-18 13:34:35,011 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - impl:
> point=org.apache.nutch.indexer.IndexingFilter
> class=org.liveoak.nutch.parse.custommeta.CustomMetaIndexer
> 2006-08-18 13:34:35,011 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - impl:
> point=org.apache.nutch.searcher.QueryFilter
> class=org.liveoak.nutch.parse.custommeta.CustomMetaQueryFilter
>
> 2006-08-18 13:34:35,244 DEBUG plugin.PluginRepository - not including:

> custommeta

Re: 0.8 not loading plugins

Chris Stephens-3
Thank you for pointing this out.  I'm not sure how my plugin ever worked
with 0.7.2.  Its working great now.