0.8 release

Sami Siren-2
How would folks feel about releasing 0.8 now, there has been quite a lot
of improvements/new features
since 0.7 series and I strongly feel that we should push the first 0.8
series release (alfa/beta)
out the door now. It would IMO lower the barrier to first timers try the
0.8 series and that would
give us more feedback about the overall quality.

If there is a consensus about this I can volunteer to be the RM.

--
 Sami Siren

Re: 0.8 release

Andrzej Białecki-2
Sami Siren wrote:
> How would folks feel about releasing 0.8 now, there has been quite a
> lot of improvements/new features
> since 0.7 series and I strongly feel that we should push the first 0.8
> series release (alfa/beta)
> out the door now. It would IMO lower the barrier to first timers try
> the 0.8 series and that would
> give us more feedback about the overall quality.

Definitely +1. Let's do some testing, however, after the upgrade to
hadoop 0.3.2 - hadoop had many, many changes, so we just need to make
sure it's stable when used with Nutch ...

We should also check JIRA and apply any trivial fixes before the release.

> If there is a consensus about this I can volunteer to be the RM.

That would be great, thanks!

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: 0.8 release

Lukáš Vlček
Hi,
Is there a real chance that NUTCH-273 would be fixed soon (let's say
once 0.8 is relased)?
Lukas

On 6/10/06, Andrzej Bialecki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sami Siren wrote:
> > How would folks feel about releasing 0.8 now, there has been quite a
> > lot of improvements/new features
> > since 0.7 series and I strongly feel that we should push the first 0.8
> > series release (alfa/beta)
> > out the door now. It would IMO lower the barrier to first timers try
> > the 0.8 series and that would
> > give us more feedback about the overall quality.
>
> Definitely +1. Let's do some testing, however, after the upgrade to
> hadoop 0.3.2 - hadoop had many, many changes, so we just need to make
> sure it's stable when used with Nutch ...
>
> We should also check JIRA and apply any trivial fixes before the release.
>

> > If there is a consensus about this I can volunteer to be the RM.
>
> That would be great, thanks!
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Andrzej Bialecki     <><
>  ___. ___ ___ ___ _ _   __________________________________
> http://www.sigram.com  Contact: info at sigram dot com

Re: 0.8 release

Piotr Kosiorowski
+1.
P.
Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Sami Siren wrote:
>> How would folks feel about releasing 0.8 now, there has been quite a
>> lot of improvements/new features
>> since 0.7 series and I strongly feel that we should push the first 0.8
>> series release (alfa/beta)
>> out the door now. It would IMO lower the barrier to first timers try
>> the 0.8 series and that would
>> give us more feedback about the overall quality.
>
> Definitely +1. Let's do some testing, however, after the upgrade to
> hadoop 0.3.2 - hadoop had many, many changes, so we just need to make
> sure it's stable when used with Nutch ...
>
> We should also check JIRA and apply any trivial fixes before the release.
>

>> If there is a consensus about this I can volunteer to be the RM.
>
> That would be great, thanks!

Re: 0.8 release

Doug Cutting
+1

Piotr Kosiorowski wrote:

> +1.
> P.
> Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
>> Sami Siren wrote:
>>> How would folks feel about releasing 0.8 now, there has been quite a
>>> lot of improvements/new features
>>> since 0.7 series and I strongly feel that we should push the first
>>> 0.8 series release (alfa/beta)
>>> out the door now. It would IMO lower the barrier to first timers try
>>> the 0.8 series and that would
>>> give us more feedback about the overall quality.
>>
>> Definitely +1. Let's do some testing, however, after the upgrade to
>> hadoop 0.3.2 - hadoop had many, many changes, so we just need to make
>> sure it's stable when used with Nutch ...
>>
>> We should also check JIRA and apply any trivial fixes before the release.
>>

>>> If there is a consensus about this I can volunteer to be the RM.
>>
>> That would be great, thanks!

Re: 0.8 release

Stefan Groschupf-2
+1, but I really would love to see NUTCH-293 as part of nutch .8
since this all about being more polite.
Thanks.
Stefan

On 05.07.2006, at 03:46, Doug Cutting wrote:

> +1
>
> Piotr Kosiorowski wrote:
>> +1.
>> P.
>> Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
>>>
>>> Definitely +1. Let's do some testing, however, after the upgrade
>>> to hadoop 0.3.2 - hadoop had many, many changes, so we just need
>>> to make sure it's stable when used with Nutch ...
>>>
>>> We should also check JIRA and apply any trivial fixes before the
>>> release.

>>> That would be great, thanks!

RE: 0.8 release

T. Kuro Kurosaka
May I suggest someone take a look at NUTCH-266 before releaseing 0.8?
Nutch build as of half a month ago was not working for me and another
person.

-kuro

Re: 0.8 release

Sami Siren-2
I will start working on the 0.8 release on next moday or tuesday. If
there are no surprises I will post another message when package is
available for testing.

--
 Sami Siren

Doug Cutting wrote:

> +1
>
> Piotr Kosiorowski wrote:
>
>> +1.
>> P.
>> Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

>>> Definitely +1. Let's do some testing, however, after the upgrade to
>>> hadoop 0.3.2 - hadoop had many, many changes, so we just need to
>>> make sure it's stable when used with Nutch ...
>>>
>>> We should also check JIRA and apply any trivial fixes before the
>>> release.

>>> That would be great, thanks!

Re: 0.8 release

Sami Siren-2
There is a package available for testing in
http://people.apache.org/~siren/nutch-0.8/

please give it some testing and post in your opinion - is it good enough
to be a public release?

I have some doubts because of NUTCH-266, but so far only 3 people have
reported this to be problem
(me included)

--
 Sami Siren

Sami Siren wrote:

> I will start working on the 0.8 release on next moday or tuesday. If
> there are no surprises I will post another message when package is
> available for testing.
>
> --
> Sami Siren
>
> Doug Cutting wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Piotr Kosiorowski wrote:
>>
>>> +1.
>>> P.

Re: 0.8 release

Andrzej Białecki-2
Sami Siren wrote:
> There is a package available for testing in
> http://people.apache.org/~siren/nutch-0.8/
>
> please give it some testing and post in your opinion - is it good
> enough to be a public release?
>
> I have some doubts because of NUTCH-266, but so far only 3 people have
> reported this to be problem
> (me included)

This is I guess related to a very specific environment - multiple nodes
running on cygwin. Usually people run multiple nodes on some flavor of Unix.

I don't have any means to test it for this issue ...

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: 0.8 release

Sami Siren-2
Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Sami Siren wrote:
>
>> There is a package available for testing in
>> http://people.apache.org/~siren/nutch-0.8/
>>
>> please give it some testing and post in your opinion - is it good
>> enough to be a public release?
>>
>> I have some doubts because of NUTCH-266, but so far only 3 people
>> have reported this to be problem
>> (me included)
>

> This is I guess related to a very specific environment - multiple
> nodes running on cygwin. Usually people run multiple nodes on some
> flavor of Unix.
>
> I don't have any means to test it for this issue ...

Bug also appears in singlenode configuration, but I think that it is not
that common (quessing from the number of people who have reported it).
However that is now fixed in hadoop trunk. Should we use a patched
version of hadoop-0.4.0 in Nutch or wait for 0.5 (which at least still
seems to be 1.4 compatible)?

The 0.8 package has now hit the mirrors, has anybody any objections
about announcing it? Stefan allready commented about two issues he
wished to be fixed in 0.8 but to me it looks that they can both be
addressed with configuration changes and documentation in the first
place and there's nothing stopping us from releasing 0.8.1 in very short
time addressing the issues discovered in 0.8.

 Sami Siren

Re: 0.8 release

Piotr Kosiorowski
No objections form me. We waited long and we can fix things in
maitenance release in few weeks.
Regards
Piotr