2.7.1 status

Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli-2
As we talked before [1], I am going to start the push for 2.7.1 [2].

Here are the things I am going to do, with help from others in the community
 - Review current 2.7.1 content to make sure only bug fixes went in
 - Review 2.8 to see if any important bug fixes didn't get merged into 2.7.1
 - Send notes to downstream projects to see if they can pick up 2.7.0
mainly with a view of catching incompatibilities/critical issues

If you feel like there is an important fix that you need in 2.7.1, please
mark it so on JIRA so we can coordinate the release timeline.

Also, it will be great if other community members share their testing
results on 2.7.0 +, so that we can settle on a stable 2.7.1.

Thanks
+Vinod

[1]: A 2.7.1 release to follow up 2.7.0
http://markmail.org/thread/zwzze6cqqgwq4rmw

[2] JIRA filter I am using to track blockers/criticals:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12331550

Re: 2.7.1 status

Vinod Vavilapalli
Been a while since 2.7.0 release.

I am going to do a scan of outstanding issues this weekend and start the push. There are 7 blockers/criticals as of now: https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12331550

I couldn't send notes to downstream projects as I originally anticipated. But from our internal testing with the latest releases/branches of other ecosystem projects like Hive, Pig, Oozie, I haven't yet seen any incompatible issues being reported. We also have done one preliminary round of rolling-upgrades testing which seems to have gone well.

Will post more results over this and next week. Has anyone else done any testing on 2.7.0? If so, please update here of your findings.

Hoping to get a release candidate out next week.

Thanks
+Vinod

On Apr 23, 2015, at 11:58 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Elliott Clark-2
HADOOP-12001 should probably be added to the blocker list since it's a
regression that can keep ldap from working.

Re: 2.7.1 status

Vinod Vavilapalli
Tx for reporting this, Elliot.

Made it a blocker, not with a deeper understanding of the problem. Can you please chime in with your opinion and perhaps code reviews?

Thanks
+Vinod

On May 26, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Elliott Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HADOOP-12001 should probably be added to the blocker list since it's a
> regression that can keep ldap from working.

Re: 2.7.1 status

larry mccay-2
Hi Vinod -

I think that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-11934 should also
be added to the blocker list.
This is a critical bug in our ability to protect the LDAP connection
password in LdapGroupsMapper.

thanks!

--larry

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tx for reporting this, Elliot.
>
> Made it a blocker, not with a deeper understanding of the problem. Can you
> please chime in with your opinion and perhaps code reviews?
>
> Thanks
> +Vinod
>
> On May 26, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Elliott Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > HADOOP-12001 should probably be added to the blocker list since it's a
> > regression that can keep ldap from working.

Re: 2.7.1 status

Chris Nauroth
Thanks, Larry.  I have marked HADOOP-11934 as a blocker for 2.7.1.  I have
reviewed and +1'd it.  I can commit it after we get feedback from Jenkins.

--Chris Nauroth

On 5/26/15, 12:41 PM, "larry mccay" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Vinod -
>
>I think that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-11934 should
>also
>be added to the blocker list.
>This is a critical bug in our ability to protect the LDAP connection
>password in LdapGroupsMapper.
>
>thanks!
>
>--larry
>
>On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <
>[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Tx for reporting this, Elliot.
>>
>> Made it a blocker, not with a deeper understanding of the problem. Can
>>you
>> please chime in with your opinion and perhaps code reviews?
>>
>> Thanks
>> +Vinod
>>
>> On May 26, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Elliott Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > HADOOP-12001 should probably be added to the blocker list since it's a
>> > regression that can keep ldap from working.

Re: 2.7.1 status

Vinod Vavilapalli
Tx for the move on that JIRA, folks.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12331550 still shows 4 blockers /  4 criticals. I'm going to start pushing them in/out.

Thanks
+Vinod

On May 27, 2015, at 3:20 PM, Chris Nauroth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Larry.  I have marked HADOOP-11934 as a blocker for 2.7.1.  I have
> reviewed and +1'd it.  I can commit it after we get feedback from Jenkins.
>
> --Chris Nauroth
>

> On 5/26/15, 12:41 PM, "larry mccay" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Vinod -
>>
>> I think that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-11934 should
>> also
>> be added to the blocker list.
>> This is a critical bug in our ability to protect the LDAP connection
>> password in LdapGroupsMapper.
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>> --larry
>>
>> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Tx for reporting this, Elliot.
>>>
>>> Made it a blocker, not with a deeper understanding of the problem. Can
>>> you
>>> please chime in with your opinion and perhaps code reviews?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> +Vinod

Re: 2.7.1 status

Vinod Vavilapalli
Did a quick scan.

Seems like HDFS-6478 which broke the functionality went into 2.6.0.

Given that, I don't this should block 2.7.1, but if you can get it in in a day or two, all good.

Thanks
+Vinod

On May 27, 2015, at 12:36 AM, Vinayakumar B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Vinod,
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-8270 seems to create some issue
> for the downstream projects in NonHA case.
> I will try to get it in for 2.7.1 if everyone agrees to remove IPC level
> retries only in case of NonHA for *create() *request.
>
> -Vinay
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Nijel s f <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for the update
>> We are using 2.7.0 for our platform, and testing it per our scenarios.
>>
>> Overall the test result looks fine. Basic performance test is done and no
>> degradation observed in our scenarios.
>> Functional scenarios are working fine and no issue reported in
>> compatibility with the usage scenarios
>>
>> Ran into few major issues,
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-3558
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-11628
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-3585
>>
>> As per the discussion with some of the members, YARN-3558 seems like not a
>> regression bug.
>>
>> Looking forward to get these fixed in 2.7.1
>>

>> Regards
>> Nijel

We are down to one blocker and a few critical tickets. I’ll try to push out an RC in a day or two.

Thanks
+Vinod

> On Jun 1, 2015, at 10:45 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tx for the move on that JIRA, folks.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12331550 still shows 4 blockers /  4 criticals. I'm going to start pushing them in/out.
>
> Thanks
> +Vinod
>
> On May 27, 2015, at 3:20 PM, Chris Nauroth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Larry.  I have marked HADOOP-11934 as a blocker for 2.7.1.  I have
>> reviewed and +1'd it.  I can commit it after we get feedback from Jenkins.
>>
>> --Chris Nauroth
>>

>> On 5/26/15, 12:41 PM, "larry mccay" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Vinod -
>>>
>>> I think that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-11934 should
>>> also
>>> be added to the blocker list.
>>> This is a critical bug in our ability to protect the LDAP connection
>>> password in LdapGroupsMapper.
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>>
>>> --larry

Re: 2.7.1 status

Tsuyoshi Ozawa-3
Hi Vinod,

Thank you for working to release 2.7!
YARN-3798 looks a critical issue for branch-2.7. I'll mark it as a
blocker of 2.7.1 if possible.

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 6:58 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are down to one blocker and a few critical tickets. I’ll try to push out an RC in a day or two.
>
> Thanks
> +Vinod
>

>> On Jun 1, 2015, at 10:45 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Tx for the move on that JIRA, folks.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12331550 still shows 4 blockers /  4 criticals. I'm going to start pushing them in/out.
>>
>> Thanks
>> +Vinod
>>
>> On May 27, 2015, at 3:20 PM, Chris Nauroth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, Larry.  I have marked HADOOP-11934 as a blocker for 2.7.1.  I have
>>> reviewed and +1'd it.  I can commit it after we get feedback from Jenkins.
>>>
>>> --Chris Nauroth

Re: 2.7.1 status

Vinod Vavilapalli
With a bit of effort from a bunch of contributors/committers, we are finally down to zero blocker/critical issues.

Unless, the situation changes, I’ll roll an RC in a day or two. This time for real.

Thanks
+Vinod

> On Jun 15, 2015, at 2:58 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We are down to one blocker and a few critical tickets. I’ll try to push out an RC in a day or two.
>
> Thanks
> +Vinod
>

>> On Jun 1, 2015, at 10:45 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Tx for the move on that JIRA, folks.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12331550 still shows 4 blockers /  4 criticals. I'm going to start pushing them in/out.
>>
>> Thanks
>> +Vinod
>>
>> On May 27, 2015, at 3:20 PM, Chris Nauroth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, Larry.  I have marked HADOOP-11934 as a blocker for 2.7.1.  I have
>>> reviewed and +1'd it.  I can commit it after we get feedback from Jenkins.
>>>
>>> --Chris Nauroth

Re: 2.7.1 status

Vinod Vavilapalli
Starting release process now.