9.0 Release Planing
- Will release Lucene/Solr separately
- Vector work in Lucene, lots of work in Solr as well burning to be released.
- 8.x releases could continue… (8.9 Solr depending on 8.8 Lucene?)
- Reminder that there are issues with new minors after a major release (8.9 after a 9.0) - somebody to research.
- Action Item: Label as blockers any issues that MUST be resolved before a release.
- Solr packages need an upgrade strategy (minor-minor, minor-major)
- May consider decoupling organizational change from code change.
- Release train keeps getting bigger and bigger?
- Action item: define critical path to releasing split code.
Solr TLP Creation
- Should happen before 9.0
- Ton of interest initially, but activity has since seemed to slow down
- Just more forward with everybody current on the PMC/Committer list?
- Several people claim that it “feels wrong” but difficult to articulate the actual concerns
- Potential compromise is to mark folks as emeritus on website, while still providing commit bit
- Auto-opt-in for anybody active in the past X years
- Smiley volunteered to reach out to all committers to ascertain their desired relationship with Solr TLP.
- Important to have communication for restoring status for people who may have been missed.
- …And then send board resolution
- Expect all of this to take ~month between vote and next board meeting/report.
- Isolation of components that need a separate release cadence
- Goal is to work and contribute directly to Apache (some companies have issues with personal projects)
- Apache Commons had a “commons sandbox” with lower barrier to entry and lower expectations
- Solr Extras, Solr Contrib, Solr Commons?
- First party packages should still live in the repo
- - example LTR?
- - example Streaming Expressions that could work with multiple versions
- Best candidates are contribs that “sit there” once they are done
- Post 9.0, plan to provide Docker images via solr repo instead of docker-solr repo
- How is it going to be released - official image or apache image or ???
- Need to understand verification steps for “official” images
- Can we release at the same time (Release and Docker)
- Are these releasable according to ASF policy (source v binary)
- Likely need to be released to ASF org on docker hub.