6.5.1 release?

123

Re: 6.5.1 release?

Joel Bernstein
I'm building a release candidate locally. Then I'll need to push it to dist.apache.org.

This is apparently done through SVN. Do I need special credentials to commit to dist.apache.org?

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
I signed your key and uploaded it again.

Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 17:28, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> a écrit :
addVersion should indeed be run on those 3 branches.

Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 17:28, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> a écrit :
OK, let me try to sign it. FYI Ishan is not in the list of recipients of your email.

Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 17:26, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> a écrit :
The key id is: EE64CB1E

Ishan, I'll review your personal notes. Thanks!

I'm currently at the point of running addVersion.py. I believe this is meant to be run on master, branch_6x, and branch_6_5.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is correct indeed. What is your key ID?

Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 17:09, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> a écrit :
I've create a key using gpg2 and uploaded it to a public key store. I believe this key needs to be signed by another committer in order to sign the release. Is this correct?

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
The next hurdle I'm working on is the PGP key.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool! I agree with you the wiki feels a bit prehistoric. :s

Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 16:24, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Yeah, it's not a great system, but I was able to create the new pages.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does it work now?

Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 16:05, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Yeah, that must be it. I created an account on lucene-java also. It let me copy the page.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Maybe this is part of the confusion but the lucene-java and solr wikis are different wikis if I remember correctly. You need to have an account for each of them.

Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 16:00, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> a écrit :
The wiki seems to have lost the account I just created. Asked for an email to be sent for a new password, and nothing has arrived.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually I think it logged me out. Getting logged back in.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
It wouldn't let me copy https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote621. Gave the following message:

You are not allowed to copy this page!

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
It should be ok now, can you check? You were already in the admin group for the Solr wiki so I did not change anything.

Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 15:36, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> a écrit :
My username is JoelBernstein, thanks!

Re: 6.5.1 release?

sarowe
Hi Joel,

Your Apache LDAP credentials are used for both Subversion and Git, and all Lucene/Solr committers have commit karma on dist.apache.org.

Although the above implies that only PMC members can commit to the Subversion repo on dist.apache.org, see <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-6813>, where ASF Infra granted dist.apache.org commit karma to all Lucene/Solr committers.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> [...]
> Actually I think it logged me out. Getting logged back in.
>
> Joel Bernstein
> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It wouldn't let me copy https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote621. Gave the following message:
>
> You are not allowed to copy this page!
>
> Joel Bernstein
> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It should be ok now, can you check? You were already in the admin group for the Solr wiki so I did not change anything.
>
> Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 15:36, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> My username is JoelBernstein, thanks!
>
> Joel Bernstein
> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

Yep, I've got a release candidate uploading now.

From <https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#data-checks>:

> [...]

> Actually I think it logged me out. Getting logged back in.
>
> Joel Bernstein
> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It wouldn't let me copy https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote621. Gave the following message:
>
> You are not allowed to copy this page!
>
> Joel Bernstein
> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It should be ok now, can you check? You were already in the admin group for the Solr wiki so I did not change anything.
>
> Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 15:36, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> My username is JoelBernstein, thanks!
>
> Joel Bernstein
> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

I've got a RC uploaded here: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-6.5.1-RC1-revfa827447f5829fe729b779faed675775e3c0b7c8/

But I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done with the keys.

I see there is a KEYS file in both the lucene and solr directories. I tried using the commands Ishan mentioned in his documents to add my key to these files but the output looked different then the other keys listed in the file. Here is what my entry looked like:

pub   4096R/EE64CB1E 2017-04-07

uid       [ultimate] Joel Bernstein (CODE SIGNING KEY) <[hidden email]>

sig 3        EE64CB1E 2017-04-07  Joel Bernstein (CODE SIGNING KEY) <[hidden email]>

sub   4096R/D4FCCE80 2017-04-07

sig          EE64CB1E 2017-04-07  Joel Bernstein (CODE SIGNING KEY) <[hidden email]>

mQINBFjnqFIBEADxPOfLdqbOsyisRSeDspWKSU7zN1jCgM2oEHGRckBDju53Jat8

XM2aQ6ndDecFtIbeNzi870jfbFZ0AAWbyqgJ/1bKzcIcr/jE3AqaJR+kIv7AO80V

oaio/LnWsdAAVZfZfTLGPNGw7UslmuHxwuIgxXRFaYYqiyNWlGJ77bl10MRfOHBG

5PmPPuZ3I9XEOTirqVFHFurgYWvwTy0bDmdQMAyEbNBGHKeDEX+givff/LXUVtCC

iTHf/85knZ85hbOD1yvV11VuaLEvMdhPJTGfrJQKFONAYUmcvSO4h0SjZbb15Hxw

FFGyESlOTfSe3qs2YiPrKGWYDlukFRiFFbAg0qRa+VqDJSYHEGvu3PBS+laAou89

7zzMImo3fOOU2+pas9ZmoIybfyXFfK9fRS4geDclO8BjKzk0GNL8sygCLJZXSebw

BDsPYCxNOr7TpAAHF5Ju2k5QCPvCUVG3GtXBo69klHXsAwrT/7MFRpIW/ZNdlVAR

Yt+0d1ANcgkdkDSIeQ0+B/Id4cr2Oiybc3eExDjOCa13wORDbAZ3BL+cwT3A2Y58

ND2vuV0113hvdtRoyDEmxnoDPkBP0kuA50u1VNSN8tPJHo43q7+uyTpdjtZDpMk5

woL257KR7tlY5xG1XA82n9CxLncJwnHyRMKYHQ6/OqBGOnPIAucm+c/EGwARAQAB

tDdKb2VsIEJlcm5zdGVpbiAoQ09ERSBTSUdOSU5HIEtFWSkgPGpiZXJuc3RlQGFw

YWNoZS5vcmc+iQI3BBMBCgAhBQJY56hSAhsDBQsJCAcDBRUKCQgLBRYCAwEAAh4B

AheAAAoJEKM20MDuZMseLAwQAIlLr3lCjxU9+H8ER1JqwJMuMxVOqf9VAFUMzYZM

EP2NClMl+aROOkA2xtD8rF6ZutPeNcz3mcsZQjsIHsUyqePMGL5NNin2baxIqbCN

0VU9IVpNIXlwiz6AelHUjtGhQ2Qg2nWgZSvwSHZO3+YqJLcmsaDCFxjVQbNOtfta

pc8Lfjwg/+4gK+SJmtdi4+HDQQCNYAgEQhoagtXZulK4XGDvJ68p9y2xUR8JBpcC

PNuQOr8AGGZ3VyoNRa2gGjKj0lC0WkJLB8GmieV7dCjQCdkHQk2qjJlrj4z39M3t

WgAiYDj6BAbbnugWHyTwQYn2mj6PlYoiivYNNq7LO96SLbINJ/hTHT6HZhM2b6WV

zzT6z63gTU2eBWxPzfHAeyKl2/8+MOckPYCXjejni4uB5aFPLV9Zmqtij4fefzy5

gF3zOmJNEMkMjeKQ/I41Gm3vWxaJBKSmG5NO3cvGFWI0o0DEGN+C6W2uqMO+OAE0

WIqloQSlS2bcJczT/CPGlRZheI5gv+3plHMz0Qv0PZE2DhIi+K8dk19Va0YYLwoP

MGN/m2jiRxid1ExuO5bL3wCVXdsXWnJM5c8Sbwp9jWpKwoM

From <https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#data-checks>:

> [...]

> Actually I think it logged me out. Getting logged back in.
>
> Joel Bernstein
> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It wouldn't let me copy https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote621. Gave the following message:
>
> You are not allowed to copy this page!
>
> Joel Bernstein
> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It should be ok now, can you check? You were already in the admin group for the Solr wiki so I did not change anything.
>
> Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 15:36, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> My username is JoelBernstein, thanks!
>
> Joel Bernstein
> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

Currently when the smoke test I get the error:

gpg: Signature made Fri Apr  7 13:40:58 2017 EDT using RSA key ID EE64CB1E

From <https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#data-checks>:

> [...]

> Actually I think it logged me out. Getting logged back in.
>
> Joel Bernstein
> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It wouldn't let me copy https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote621. Gave the following message:
>
> You are not allowed to copy this page!
>
> Joel Bernstein
> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It should be ok now, can you check? You were already in the admin group for the Solr wiki so I did not change anything.
>
> Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 15:36, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> My username is JoelBernstein, thanks!
>
> Joel Bernstein
> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

Joel,

The KEYS situation is a mess.

Here’s what’s happening:

1. Roughly(?) every 24 hours, the keys stored in LDAP for Lucene/Solr committers are automatically exported to <http://home.apache.org/keys/group/lucene.asc>.  Yours isn’t there yet, but will eventually be, assuming you pasted your public key into your profile on id.apache.org.

2. When you prepare a release, the target “-dist-keys” in {lucene,solr}/build.xml downloads the above-linked lucene.asc and renames it to KEYS in the distribution directories.

3. There are static KEYS files on dist.apache.org, that don’t automatically get populated with a release: <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/lucene/KEYS>, <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/lucene/java/KEYS>, and <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/lucene/solr/KEYS>.

Ishan’s personal notes mention how he put his key into the static files in #3.  To me your entry looks quite similar to some of the other entries in those files.

*Important*: you should delay producing your first RC until the #1 process has completed, and you see your key in lucene.asc (this gets copied to per-release KEYS files, e.g. <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-6.5.1-RC1-revfa827447f5829fe729b779faed675775e3c0b7c8/lucene/KEYS> and <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-6.5.1-RC1-revfa827447f5829fe729b779faed675775e3c0b7c8/solr/KEYS>).

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> [...]
> > Actually I think it logged me out. Getting logged back in.
> >
> > Joel Bernstein
> > http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It wouldn't let me copy https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote621. Gave the following message:
> >
> > You are not allowed to copy this page!
> >
> > Joel Bernstein
> > http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It should be ok now, can you check? You were already in the admin group for the Solr wiki so I did not change anything.
> >
> > Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 15:36, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> > My username is JoelBernstein, thanks!
> >
> > Joel Bernstein
> > http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

The error message means that ‘gpg’ can't find your public key.

I’m guessing that this is because you have both ‘gpg’ and ‘gpg2’ installed on your machine.  These maintain separate key stores, so a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Ishan ran into the same issue - you can see how he dealt with it in his personal notes: h3 symlinked gpg to gpg2.

(For the future: the Ant build has a property ‘gpg.exe’ that defaults to ‘gpg’; you should be able to specify an alternate value when you run buildAndPushRelease.py, but at present there is no such support.)

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> [...]
> > It wouldn't let me copy https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote621. Gave the following message:
> >
> > You are not allowed to copy this page!
> >
> > Joel Bernstein
> > http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It should be ok now, can you check? You were already in the admin group for the Solr wiki so I did not change anything.
> >
> > Le ven. 7 avr. 2017 à 15:36, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> > My username is JoelBernstein, thanks!
> >
> > Joel Bernstein
> > http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

Re: 6.5.1 release?

sarowe
Joel,

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Lower-impact fix (maybe) than symlinking - this will make your public key visible to ‘gpg’:

$ gpg --recv-key EE64CB1E

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Re: 6.5.1 release?

Joel Bernstein
I need to get me public key into my profile on id.apache.org. I'll work on that first.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joel,

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Lower-impact fix (maybe) than symlinking - this will make your public key visible to ‘gpg’:

$ gpg --recv-key EE64CB1E

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Re: 6.5.1 release?

Joel Bernstein
Ok, I've added the PGP fingerprint to my account on id.apache.org. I'll wait until step #1 completes.

Then I'll populate the three key files mentioned in Ishan's notes.

Then I'll regenerate the RC.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to get me public key into my profile on id.apache.org. I'll work on that first.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joel,

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Lower-impact fix (maybe) than symlinking - this will make your public key visible to ‘gpg’:

$ gpg --recv-key EE64CB1E

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Re: 6.5.1 release?

Joel Bernstein
My key has appeared: http://home.apache.org/keys/group/lucene.asc.

I'll work on an RC this evening.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I've added the PGP fingerprint to my account on id.apache.org. I'll wait until step #1 completes.

Then I'll populate the three key files mentioned in Ishan's notes.

Then I'll regenerate the RC.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to get me public key into my profile on id.apache.org. I'll work on that first.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joel,

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Lower-impact fix (maybe) than symlinking - this will make your public key visible to ‘gpg’:

$ gpg --recv-key EE64CB1E

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Re: 6.5.1 release?

Joel Bernstein
Ok, the keys appear to be sorted out now. Smoke test now gets much further but fails with the error below. I'll go back see if I've missed a step...

Releases that don't seem to be tested:

  6.5.0

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1476, in <module>

    main()

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1420, in main

    smokeTest(c.java, c.url, c.revision, c.version, c.tmp_dir, c.is_signed, ' '.join(c.test_args))

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1458, in smokeTest

    unpackAndVerify(java, 'lucene', tmpDir, 'lucene-%s-src.tgz' % version, gitRevision, version, testArgs, baseURL)

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 622, in unpackAndVerify

    verifyUnpacked(java, project, artifact, unpackPath, gitRevision, version, testArgs, tmpDir, baseURL)

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 768, in verifyUnpacked

    confirmAllReleasesAreTestedForBackCompat(version, unpackPath)

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1396, in confirmAllReleasesAreTestedForBackCompat

    raise RuntimeError('some releases are not tested by TestBackwardsCompatibility?')

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
My key has appeared: http://home.apache.org/keys/group/lucene.asc.

I'll work on an RC this evening.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I've added the PGP fingerprint to my account on id.apache.org. I'll wait until step #1 completes.

Then I'll populate the three key files mentioned in Ishan's notes.

Then I'll regenerate the RC.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to get me public key into my profile on id.apache.org. I'll work on that first.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joel,

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Lower-impact fix (maybe) than symlinking - this will make your public key visible to ‘gpg’:

$ gpg --recv-key EE64CB1E

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Re: 6.5.1 release?

Joel Bernstein
I don't believe I've missed any steps listed:

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 6:56 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, the keys appear to be sorted out now. Smoke test now gets much further but fails with the error below. I'll go back see if I've missed a step...

Releases that don't seem to be tested:

  6.5.0

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1476, in <module>

    main()

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1420, in main

    smokeTest(c.java, c.url, c.revision, c.version, c.tmp_dir, c.is_signed, ' '.join(c.test_args))

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1458, in smokeTest

    unpackAndVerify(java, 'lucene', tmpDir, 'lucene-%s-src.tgz' % version, gitRevision, version, testArgs, baseURL)

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 622, in unpackAndVerify

    verifyUnpacked(java, project, artifact, unpackPath, gitRevision, version, testArgs, tmpDir, baseURL)

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 768, in verifyUnpacked

    confirmAllReleasesAreTestedForBackCompat(version, unpackPath)

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1396, in confirmAllReleasesAreTestedForBackCompat

    raise RuntimeError('some releases are not tested by TestBackwardsCompatibility?')

RuntimeError: some releases are not tested by TestBackwardsCompatibility?

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
My key has appeared: http://home.apache.org/keys/group/lucene.asc.

I'll work on an RC this evening.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I've added the PGP fingerprint to my account on id.apache.org. I'll wait until step #1 completes.

Then I'll populate the three key files mentioned in Ishan's notes.

Then I'll regenerate the RC.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to get me public key into my profile on id.apache.org. I'll work on that first.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joel,

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Lower-impact fix (maybe) than symlinking - this will make your public key visible to ‘gpg’:

$ gpg --recv-key EE64CB1E

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Re: 6.5.1 release?

Joel Bernstein
Looks like I need to add the back compat indexes. In  the releaseTodo this is post release activity but it looks that has changed.

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't believe I've missed any steps listed:

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 6:56 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, the keys appear to be sorted out now. Smoke test now gets much further but fails with the error below. I'll go back see if I've missed a step...

Releases that don't seem to be tested:

  6.5.0

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1476, in <module>

    main()

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1420, in main

    smokeTest(c.java, c.url, c.revision, c.version, c.tmp_dir, c.is_signed, ' '.join(c.test_args))

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1458, in smokeTest

    unpackAndVerify(java, 'lucene', tmpDir, 'lucene-%s-src.tgz' % version, gitRevision, version, testArgs, baseURL)

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 622, in unpackAndVerify

    verifyUnpacked(java, project, artifact, unpackPath, gitRevision, version, testArgs, tmpDir, baseURL)

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 768, in verifyUnpacked

    confirmAllReleasesAreTestedForBackCompat(version, unpackPath)

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1396, in confirmAllReleasesAreTestedForBackCompat

    raise RuntimeError('some releases are not tested by TestBackwardsCompatibility?')

RuntimeError: some releases are not tested by TestBackwardsCompatibility?

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
My key has appeared: http://home.apache.org/keys/group/lucene.asc.

I'll work on an RC this evening.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I've added the PGP fingerprint to my account on id.apache.org. I'll wait until step #1 completes.

Then I'll populate the three key files mentioned in Ishan's notes.

Then I'll regenerate the RC.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to get me public key into my profile on id.apache.org. I'll work on that first.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joel,

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Lower-impact fix (maybe) than symlinking - this will make your public key visible to ‘gpg’:

$ gpg --recv-key EE64CB1E

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Re: 6.5.1 release?

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
No, this has not changed. I think backcompat indexes for the previous release was not added. The 6.5.0 's RM might've missed this step.

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 4:45 AM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks like I need to add the back compat indexes. In  the releaseTodo this is post release activity but it looks that has changed.

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't believe I've missed any steps listed:

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 6:56 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, the keys appear to be sorted out now. Smoke test now gets much further but fails with the error below. I'll go back see if I've missed a step...

Releases that don't seem to be tested:

  6.5.0

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1476, in <module>

    main()

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1420, in main

    smokeTest(c.java, c.url, c.revision, c.version, c.tmp_dir, c.is_signed, ' '.join(c.test_args))

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1458, in smokeTest

    unpackAndVerify(java, 'lucene', tmpDir, 'lucene-%s-src.tgz' % version, gitRevision, version, testArgs, baseURL)

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 622, in unpackAndVerify

    verifyUnpacked(java, project, artifact, unpackPath, gitRevision, version, testArgs, tmpDir, baseURL)

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 768, in verifyUnpacked

    confirmAllReleasesAreTestedForBackCompat(version, unpackPath)

  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1396, in confirmAllReleasesAreTestedForBackCompat

    raise RuntimeError('some releases are not tested by TestBackwardsCompatibility?')

RuntimeError: some releases are not tested by TestBackwardsCompatibility?

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
My key has appeared: http://home.apache.org/keys/group/lucene.asc.

I'll work on an RC this evening.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I've added the PGP fingerprint to my account on id.apache.org. I'll wait until step #1 completes.

Then I'll populate the three key files mentioned in Ishan's notes.

Then I'll regenerate the RC.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to get me public key into my profile on id.apache.org. I'll work on that first.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joel,

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Lower-impact fix (maybe) than symlinking - this will make your public key visible to ‘gpg’:

$ gpg --recv-key EE64CB1E

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Re: 6.5.1 release?

jim ferenczi
Joel,
The backcompat indexes are not added for a minor release. They are added on the first bugfix release on the minor branch. There is a note in the TODO:
"Make sure that the backcompat index for the previous release has been added to the release branch. (Note that this will ordinarily not have been done if the current release is X.Y.1, i.e. the first bugfix release off the stable branch.) See the post-release section "Generate Backcompat Indexes" below - remember you'll be generating an index for the previous release."

I just pushed the backcompat indices in the release branch. You'll need to generate a new release candidate though.

> [...]

My key has appeared: http://home.apache.org/keys/group/lucene.asc.

I'll work on an RC this evening.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I've added the PGP fingerprint to my account on id.apache.org. I'll wait until step #1 completes.

Then I'll populate the three key files mentioned in Ishan's notes.

Then I'll regenerate the RC.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to get me public key into my profile on id.apache.org. I'll work on that first.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joel,

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Lower-impact fix (maybe) than symlinking - this will make your public key visible to ‘gpg’:

Thanks Jim, I don't quite understand the rational for when the backcompat indexes are created, but that's OK. I'll create a new RC this evening.

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 4:44 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

My key has appeared: http://home.apache.org/keys/group/lucene.asc.

I'll work on an RC this evening.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I've added the PGP fingerprint to my account on id.apache.org. I'll wait until step #1 completes.

Then I'll populate the three key files mentioned in Ishan's notes.

Then I'll regenerate the RC.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to get me public key into my profile on id.apache.org. I'll work on that first.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joel,

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Lower-impact fix (maybe) than symlinking - this will make your public key visible to ‘gpg’:

Ok sorry I should have been more specific. The backcompat tests are not created on the release branch for the first minor release (eg. 6.5.0). They are only created for the master branch and the 6x branch. Then during the first bugfix of the current release branch (eg. 6.5.1) we push the backcompat test directly on the release branch. This is not done before because we cannot test the backcompatibitily of the 6.5.0 branch with itself.

> [...]

My key has appeared: http://home.apache.org/keys/group/lucene.asc.

I'll work on an RC this evening.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I've added the PGP fingerprint to my account on id.apache.org. I'll wait until step #1 completes.

Then I'll populate the three key files mentioned in Ishan's notes.

Then I'll regenerate the RC.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to get me public key into my profile on id.apache.org. I'll work on that first.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joel,

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Lower-impact fix (maybe) than symlinking - this will make your public key visible to ‘gpg’:

Ok, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 6:05 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

My key has appeared: http://home.apache.org/keys/group/lucene.asc.

I'll work on an RC this evening.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I've added the PGP fingerprint to my account on id.apache.org. I'll wait until step #1 completes.

Then I'll populate the three key files mentioned in Ishan's notes.

Then I'll regenerate the RC.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to get me public key into my profile on id.apache.org. I'll work on that first.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joel,

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 4:36 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a key generated with gpg2 won’t be visible to gpg.

Lower-impact fix (maybe) than symlinking - this will make your public key visible to ‘gpg’:

It’s not true that “we cannot test the backcompatibility of the 6.5.0 branch with itself”.  After releasing a *.0 releae, the RM can just set the release branch version to *.1, and then there are no issues with adding the *.0 backcompat indexes.

I believe the real reason these don’t get added to the release branches is economy of effort.  It’s not certain that there will be a *.1 release after a *.0 release, so why bother?

This is a constant source of confusion, though.  Effort is definitely not economized when considering an RM who’s never done a bugfix release before.

Some perspective: 8/12 of the 5.X and 6.X relase branches had, or will have (6.5.1), at least one bugfix release.  It’s now the *ordinary* case that release branches will get a bugfix release.

I think it’s time to change the ReleaseToDo to tell RMs to always generate the backcompat indexes on the release branch, regardless of whether the current release is a bugfix release.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

123