8.5 release

123

8.5 release

Alan Woodward-3
Hi all,

It’s been a while since we released lucene-solr 8.4, and we’ve accumulated quite a few nice new features since then.  I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.5 release.  If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on Tuesday 3rd March.

- Alan

Re: 8.5 release

Atri Sharma-3
+1

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 9:28 PM Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It’s been a while since we released lucene-solr 8.4, and we’ve accumulated quite a few nice new features since then.  I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.5 release.  If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on Tuesday 3rd March.
>
> - Alan

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.5 release

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
+1

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 7:58 AM Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

It’s been a while since we released lucene-solr 8.4, and we’ve accumulated quite a few nice new features since then.  I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.5 release.  If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on Tuesday 3rd March.

- Alan

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Best regards,
Cao Mạnh Đạt

Re: 8.5 release

Adrien Grand
+1

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 4:58 PM Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

It’s been a while since we released lucene-solr 8.4, and we’ve accumulated quite a few nice new features since then.  I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.5 release.  If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on Tuesday 3rd March.

- Alan

Adrien

Re: 8.5 release

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
+1

That should give us time to update release docs for the new website too.

Jan Høydahl

18. feb. 2020 kl. 18:28 skrev Adrien Grand <[hidden email]>:

+1

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 4:58 PM Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

It’s been a while since we released lucene-solr 8.4, and we’ve accumulated quite a few nice new features since then.  I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.5 release.  If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on Tuesday 3rd March.

- Alan

Adrien

Adrien

Re: 8.5 release

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
+1

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 9:35 PM Ignacio Vera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 7:26 PM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> That should give us time to update release docs for the new website too.
>>
>> Jan Høydahl
>>
>> 18. feb. 2020 kl. 18:28 skrev Adrien Grand <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> +1
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 4:58 PM Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> It’s been a while since we released lucene-solr 8.4, and we’ve accumulated quite a few nice new features since then.  I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.5 release.  If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on Tuesday 3rd March.
>>>
>>> - Alan
>>>

>> --
>> Adrien

Re: 8.5 release

Alan Woodward-3
PSA: I’ve had to generate a new GPG key for this release, and it takes a while for it to get mirrored to the lucene KEYS file.  I’ll hold off cutting the branch until everything is ready, so it will probably now be tomorrow UK time before I start the release proper.

> On 25 Feb 2020, at 07:49, Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 9:35 PM Ignacio Vera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 7:26 PM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> That should give us time to update release docs for the new website too.
>>>
>>> Jan Høydahl
>>>
>>> 18. feb. 2020 kl. 18:28 skrev Adrien Grand <[hidden email]>:
>>>

>>> +1

>>> --
>>> Adrien

Re: 8.5 release

Alan Woodward-3
I’ve created a branch for the 8.5 release (`branch_8_5`) and pushed it to the apache repository.  We’re now at feature freeze, so only bug fixes should be pushed to the branch.

I can see from <a href="https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project in (SOLR, LUCENE) AND status in (Open, Reopened) AND priority = Blocker AND fixVersion = 8.5 ORDER BY priority DESC" class="">https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20in%20(SOLR%2C%20LUCENE)%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%208.5%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC that we have 4 tickets marked as Blockers for this release.  I plan to build a first release candidate next Monday, which gives us a few days to resolve these.  If that’s not going to be long enough, please let me know.

Uwe, Steve, can one of you start the Jenkins tasks for the new branch?

Thanks, Alan

On 3 Mar 2020, at 14:50, Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

For additional commands, [hidden email]

--
Adrien

For additional commands, [hidden email]

Re: 8.5 release

Chris Hostetter-3

: I’ve created a branch for the 8.5 release (`branch_8_5`) and pushed it
: to the apache repository.  We’re now at feature freeze, so only bug
: fixes should be pushed to the branch.

I'm a little confused where folks should put stuff in CHANGES.txt right
now if it's *NOT* something ready to backport all the way to branch_8_5.

specifically: branch_8x now has an 8.6 section in CHANGES.txt, but master
doesn't ... so if i have a feature (or low priority bug fix that I don't
want to rush into 8.5 w/o more review) I'm not sure where/how to record it
w/o having weird merge conflicts (or causing weird merge conflicts later0

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: 8.5 release

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Alas, I've left a comment for you in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9170. I leave it up to
your judgement whether it continues to be a blocker or can be
prioritized down.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 10:59 PM Chris Hostetter
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> : I’ve created a branch for the 8.5 release (`branch_8_5`) and pushed it
> : to the apache repository.  We’re now at feature freeze, so only bug
> : fixes should be pushed to the branch.
>
> I'm a little confused where folks should put stuff in CHANGES.txt right
> now if it's *NOT* something ready to backport all the way to branch_8_5.
>
> specifically: branch_8x now has an 8.6 section in CHANGES.txt, but master
> doesn't ... so if i have a feature (or low priority bug fix that I don't
> want to rush into 8.5 w/o more review) I'm not sure where/how to record it
> w/o having weird merge conflicts (or causing weird merge conflicts later0
>

> -Hoss
> http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: 8.5 release

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Alan*, not Alas.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> : I’ve created a branch for the 8.5 release (`branch_8_5`) and pushed it
> : to the apache repository.  We’re now at feature freeze, so only bug
> : fixes should be pushed to the branch.
>
> I'm a little confused where folks should put stuff in CHANGES.txt right
> now if it's *NOT* something ready to backport all the way to branch_8_5.
>
> specifically: branch_8x now has an 8.6 section in CHANGES.txt, but master
> doesn't ... so if i have a feature (or low priority bug fix that I don't
> want to rush into 8.5 w/o more review) I'm not sure where/how to record it
> w/o having weird merge conflicts (or causing weird merge conflicts later0
>

> -Hoss
> http://www.lucidworks.com/

RE: 8.5 release

Uwe Schindler

FYI, I cleaned, renamed, and changed the Jenkins Jobs, so the 8.5 branch is in the loop on ASF Jenkins and Policeman Jenkins.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: 8.5 release

Alan Woodward-3
It looks like Robert added the relevant 8.6 section to master in 4360fa750644 (thanks Robert!) - I’ve been using the release wizard for this process so far and either missed a step about pushing this to master or it isn’t in there yet; I’ll check and make changes to the wizard if necessary.

> On 6 Mar 2020, at 17:28, Chris Hostetter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> : I’ve created a branch for the 8.5 release (`branch_8_5`) and pushed it
> : to the apache repository.  We’re now at feature freeze, so only bug
> : fixes should be pushed to the branch.
>
> I'm a little confused where folks should put stuff in CHANGES.txt right
> now if it's *NOT* something ready to backport all the way to branch_8_5.
>
> specifically: branch_8x now has an 8.6 section in CHANGES.txt, but master
> doesn't ... so if i have a feature (or low priority bug fix that I don't
> want to rush into 8.5 w/o more review) I'm not sure where/how to record it
> w/o having weird merge conflicts (or causing weird merge conflicts later0
>

> -Hoss
> http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: 8.5 release

Alan Woodward-3
Hi Joel,

I’ve got some yaks to shave here before I build the release candidate, so please go ahead and backport.