8.6.1 Release

123

8.6.1 Release

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Hi,
There was a performance regression identified in 8.6.0 release due to SOLR-12845. I think it is serious enough to warrant an immediate bug fix release.

I propose a 8.6.1 release. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to volunteer for this release owning to some other commitments, however Andrzej mentioned in Slack that he might be able to volunteer for this post 27th.

Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
Regards,
Ishan

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Houston Putman
+1

Question about the change. Since this patch added a default autoscaling policy, if users upgrade to 8.6 and then 8.6.1, does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded? If so we probably want to include instructions in the release notes on how to fix this issue once upgrading.

- Houston

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 1:53 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
There was a performance regression identified in 8.6.0 release due to SOLR-12845. I think it is serious enough to warrant an immediate bug fix release.

I propose a 8.6.1 release. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to volunteer for this release owning to some other commitments, however Andrzej mentioned in Slack that he might be able to volunteer for this post 27th.

Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
Regards,
Ishan

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Atri Sharma-3
+1

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:23 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> There was a performance regression identified in 8.6.0 release due to SOLR-12845. I think it is serious enough to warrant an immediate bug fix release.
>
> I propose a 8.6.1 release. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to volunteer for this release owning to some other commitments, however Andrzej mentioned in Slack that he might be able to volunteer for this post 27th.
>
> Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
> Regards,
> Ishan

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Atri Sharma-3
Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to
8.6.1 get the earlier default policy?

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:09 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Question about the change. Since this patch added a default autoscaling policy, if users upgrade to 8.6 and then 8.6.1, does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded? If so we probably want to include instructions in the release notes on how to fix this issue once upgrading.
>
> - Houston
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 1:53 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> There was a performance regression identified in 8.6.0 release due to SOLR-12845. I think it is serious enough to warrant an immediate bug fix release.
>>
>> I propose a 8.6.1 release. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to volunteer for this release owning to some other commitments, however Andrzej mentioned in Slack that he might be able to volunteer for this post 27th.
>>
>> Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
>> Regards,
>> Ishan

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Ilan Ginzburg
I didn't look at the issue, but if it is due to a default inefficient policy, instead of a new release (that as Houston points out will not even solve the issue), can't we communicate a workaround, namely a way to reset the default policy to some other value after 8.6 deploy that would make the problem disappear?

But maybe the issue is more than config?

Ilan

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 5:46 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Regards,
Ishan

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Atri Sharma-3
Communicating a workaround may or may not reach everybody affected — unless we plan to publish it on every channel.

Whereas a release is much more visible and an obvious way to mitigate the issue.

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 at 21:40, Ilan Ginzburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Atri Sharma-3
Ignore this, I misread your email.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to
> 8.6.1 get the earlier default policy?
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:09 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Question about the change. Since this patch added a default autoscaling policy, if users upgrade to 8.6 and then 8.6.1, does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded? If so we probably want to include instructions in the release notes on how to fix this issue once upgrading.
> >
> > - Houston
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 1:53 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >> There was a performance regression identified in 8.6.0 release due to SOLR-12845. I think it is serious enough to warrant an immediate bug fix release.
> >>
> >> I propose a 8.6.1 release. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to volunteer for this release owning to some other commitments, however Andrzej mentioned in Slack that he might be able to volunteer for this post 27th.
> >>
> >> Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
> >> Regards,
> >> Ishan
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Atri
> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Houston Putman
If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.

I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ignore this, I misread your email.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to
> 8.6.1 get the earlier default policy?
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:09 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Question about the change. Since this patch added a default autoscaling policy, if users upgrade to 8.6 and then 8.6.1, does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded? If so we probably want to include instructions in the release notes on how to fix this issue once upgrading.
> >
> > - Houston
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 1:53 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >> There was a performance regression identified in 8.6.0 release due to SOLR-12845. I think it is serious enough to warrant an immediate bug fix release.
> >>
> >> I propose a 8.6.1 release. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to volunteer for this release owning to some other commitments, however Andrzej mentioned in Slack that he might be able to volunteer for this post 27th.
> >>
> >> Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
> >> Regards,
> >> Ishan
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Atri
> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Thanks Houston!

On Wed, 22 Jul, 2020, 10:51 pm Houston Putman, <[hidden email]> wrote:
If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.

I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ignore this, I misread your email.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to
> 8.6.1 get the earlier default policy?
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:09 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Question about the change. Since this patch added a default autoscaling policy, if users upgrade to 8.6 and then 8.6.1, does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded? If so we probably want to include instructions in the release notes on how to fix this issue once upgrading.
> >
> > - Houston
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 1:53 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >> There was a performance regression identified in 8.6.0 release due to SOLR-12845. I think it is serious enough to warrant an immediate bug fix release.
> >>
> >> I propose a 8.6.1 release. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to volunteer for this release owning to some other commitments, however Andrzej mentioned in Slack that he might be able to volunteer for this post 27th.
> >>
> >> Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
> >> Regards,
> >> Ishan
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Atri
> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Anshum Gupta
+1 for the release. Having a hotfix release that fixes regression is a great option for users who plan to be on 8.6.x.

Thanks Houston and Ishan!

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:15 AM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.

I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ignore this, I misread your email.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to
> 8.6.1 get the earlier default policy?
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:09 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Question about the change. Since this patch added a default autoscaling policy, if users upgrade to 8.6 and then 8.6.1, does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded? If so we probably want to include instructions in the release notes on how to fix this issue once upgrading.
> >
> > - Houston
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 1:53 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >> There was a performance regression identified in 8.6.0 release due to SOLR-12845. I think it is serious enough to warrant an immediate bug fix release.
> >>
> >> I propose a 8.6.1 release. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to volunteer for this release owning to some other commitments, however Andrzej mentioned in Slack that he might be able to volunteer for this post 27th.
> >>
> >> Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
> >> Regards,
> >> Ishan
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Atri
> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Anshum Gupta

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Atri Sharma-3
+1, thanks Houston.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.
>
> I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ignore this, I misread your email.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Atri
>> > Apache Concerted
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Atri
>> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Ilan Ginzburg
Shouldn't we add a note right away to 8.6 notifying of the issue?

Le mer. 22 juil. 2020 à 20:08, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> a écrit :
+1, thanks Houston.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.
>
> I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ignore this, I misread your email.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Atri
>> > Apache Concerted
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Atri
>> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Absolutely, Ilan! Good idea. I initially hesitated in doing so because Andrzej had a workaround in mind for them, so I thought it would be better if he did this. But, it makes sense to inform them of the issue right away anyway.

On Wed, 22 Jul, 2020, 11:42 pm Ilan Ginzburg, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Shouldn't we add a note right away to 8.6 notifying of the issue?

Le mer. 22 juil. 2020 à 20:08, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> a écrit :
+1, thanks Houston.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.
>
> I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ignore this, I misread your email.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Atri
>> > Apache Concerted
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Atri
>> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Houston Putman
So it looks like we all agree that 8.6.1 should be cut to fix this issue.

Unless there's any alternatives proposed, early next week I'm going to push my branch_8_6 that has the offending commits reverted and some additional documentation on reverting the defaulted autoscaling policy from 8.6.0.

Then I'll start the release process for 8.6.1.

Please speak up if there is any disagreement.

- Houston

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:40 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Absolutely, Ilan! Good idea. I initially hesitated in doing so because Andrzej had a workaround in mind for them, so I thought it would be better if he did this. But, it makes sense to inform them of the issue right away anyway.

On Wed, 22 Jul, 2020, 11:42 pm Ilan Ginzburg, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Shouldn't we add a note right away to 8.6 notifying of the issue?

Le mer. 22 juil. 2020 à 20:08, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> a écrit :
+1, thanks Houston.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.
>
> I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ignore this, I misread your email.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Atri
>> > Apache Concerted
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Atri
>> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Varun Thacker-4

Looking at https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/commit/8e0eae2/#diff-de88ca16848af57d2474e04e26ea462cR90 , it seems like just upgrading to Solr 8.6.1 will be enough.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 1:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
So it looks like we all agree that 8.6.1 should be cut to fix this issue.

Unless there's any alternatives proposed, early next week I'm going to push my branch_8_6 that has the offending commits reverted and some additional documentation on reverting the defaulted autoscaling policy from 8.6.0.

Then I'll start the release process for 8.6.1.

Please speak up if there is any disagreement.

- Houston

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:40 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Absolutely, Ilan! Good idea. I initially hesitated in doing so because Andrzej had a workaround in mind for them, so I thought it would be better if he did this. But, it makes sense to inform them of the issue right away anyway.

On Wed, 22 Jul, 2020, 11:42 pm Ilan Ginzburg, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Shouldn't we add a note right away to 8.6 notifying of the issue?

Le mer. 22 juil. 2020 à 20:08, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> a écrit :
+1, thanks Houston.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.
>
> I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ignore this, I misread your email.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Atri
>> > Apache Concerted
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Atri
>> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Houston Putman
Oh that's great. I thought it might be defaulting it in the autoscaling zookeeper node. Thanks for correcting me!

If that is all that is needed then I'll probably just add something to the release notes mentioning why the upgrade is necessary.

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 10:21 PM Varun Thacker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded?

Looking at https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/commit/8e0eae2/#diff-de88ca16848af57d2474e04e26ea462cR90 , it seems like just upgrading to Solr 8.6.1 will be enough.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 1:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
So it looks like we all agree that 8.6.1 should be cut to fix this issue.

Unless there's any alternatives proposed, early next week I'm going to push my branch_8_6 that has the offending commits reverted and some additional documentation on reverting the defaulted autoscaling policy from 8.6.0.

Then I'll start the release process for 8.6.1.

Please speak up if there is any disagreement.

- Houston

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:40 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Absolutely, Ilan! Good idea. I initially hesitated in doing so because Andrzej had a workaround in mind for them, so I thought it would be better if he did this. But, it makes sense to inform them of the issue right away anyway.

On Wed, 22 Jul, 2020, 11:42 pm Ilan Ginzburg, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Shouldn't we add a note right away to 8.6 notifying of the issue?

Le mer. 22 juil. 2020 à 20:08, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> a écrit :
+1, thanks Houston.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.
>
> I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ignore this, I misread your email.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Atri
>> > Apache Concerted
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Atri
>> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Gus Heck
I realized after I went looking for it in the new docs that I didn't actually push the doc changes for MOVEREPLICA to 8x (had intended to verify that nothing differed in 8x before pushing). Doing that now, and suspect that we probably want to include it for 8.6.1

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 10:20 PM Varun Thacker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded?

Looking at https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/commit/8e0eae2/#diff-de88ca16848af57d2474e04e26ea462cR90 , it seems like just upgrading to Solr 8.6.1 will be enough.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 1:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
So it looks like we all agree that 8.6.1 should be cut to fix this issue.

Unless there's any alternatives proposed, early next week I'm going to push my branch_8_6 that has the offending commits reverted and some additional documentation on reverting the defaulted autoscaling policy from 8.6.0.

Then I'll start the release process for 8.6.1.

Please speak up if there is any disagreement.

- Houston

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:40 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Absolutely, Ilan! Good idea. I initially hesitated in doing so because Andrzej had a workaround in mind for them, so I thought it would be better if he did this. But, it makes sense to inform them of the issue right away anyway.

On Wed, 22 Jul, 2020, 11:42 pm Ilan Ginzburg, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Shouldn't we add a note right away to 8.6 notifying of the issue?

Le mer. 22 juil. 2020 à 20:08, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> a écrit :
+1, thanks Houston.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.
>
> I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ignore this, I misread your email.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Atri
>> > Apache Concerted
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Atri
>> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Houston Putman
Yeah, push it to branch_8_6. I have to document the upgrade notes for the autoscaling stuff anyways.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 11:27 AM Gus Heck <[hidden email]> wrote:
I realized after I went looking for it in the new docs that I didn't actually push the doc changes for MOVEREPLICA to 8x (had intended to verify that nothing differed in 8x before pushing). Doing that now, and suspect that we probably want to include it for 8.6.1

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 10:20 PM Varun Thacker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded?

Looking at https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/commit/8e0eae2/#diff-de88ca16848af57d2474e04e26ea462cR90 , it seems like just upgrading to Solr 8.6.1 will be enough.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 1:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
So it looks like we all agree that 8.6.1 should be cut to fix this issue.

Unless there's any alternatives proposed, early next week I'm going to push my branch_8_6 that has the offending commits reverted and some additional documentation on reverting the defaulted autoscaling policy from 8.6.0.

Then I'll start the release process for 8.6.1.

Please speak up if there is any disagreement.

- Houston

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:40 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Absolutely, Ilan! Good idea. I initially hesitated in doing so because Andrzej had a workaround in mind for them, so I thought it would be better if he did this. But, it makes sense to inform them of the issue right away anyway.

On Wed, 22 Jul, 2020, 11:42 pm Ilan Ginzburg, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Shouldn't we add a note right away to 8.6 notifying of the issue?

Le mer. 22 juil. 2020 à 20:08, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> a écrit :
+1, thanks Houston.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.
>
> I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ignore this, I misread your email.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Atri
>> > Apache Concerted
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Atri
>> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Gus Heck
8x docs not building smoothly on my laptop... (without changes) troubleshooting, checking deps listed in README.adoc, etc.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 11:50 AM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, push it to branch_8_6. I have to document the upgrade notes for the autoscaling stuff anyways.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 11:27 AM Gus Heck <[hidden email]> wrote:
I realized after I went looking for it in the new docs that I didn't actually push the doc changes for MOVEREPLICA to 8x (had intended to verify that nothing differed in 8x before pushing). Doing that now, and suspect that we probably want to include it for 8.6.1

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 10:20 PM Varun Thacker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded?

Looking at https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/commit/8e0eae2/#diff-de88ca16848af57d2474e04e26ea462cR90 , it seems like just upgrading to Solr 8.6.1 will be enough.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 1:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
So it looks like we all agree that 8.6.1 should be cut to fix this issue.

Unless there's any alternatives proposed, early next week I'm going to push my branch_8_6 that has the offending commits reverted and some additional documentation on reverting the defaulted autoscaling policy from 8.6.0.

Then I'll start the release process for 8.6.1.

Please speak up if there is any disagreement.

- Houston

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:40 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Absolutely, Ilan! Good idea. I initially hesitated in doing so because Andrzej had a workaround in mind for them, so I thought it would be better if he did this. But, it makes sense to inform them of the issue right away anyway.

On Wed, 22 Jul, 2020, 11:42 pm Ilan Ginzburg, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Shouldn't we add a note right away to 8.6 notifying of the issue?

Le mer. 22 juil. 2020 à 20:08, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> a écrit :
+1, thanks Houston.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:51 PM Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.
>
> I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ignore this, I misread your email.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Atri
>> > Apache Concerted
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Atri
>> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release

Gus Heck
Doc changes are in. Still having trouble with that one link in 8x but just fixed it locally and made sure not to push that change.

Atri
Apache Concerted

123