8.6 release

12

8.6 release

Bruno Roustant
Hi all,

It’s been a while since we released Lucene/Solr 8.5.
I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.6 release. If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on June 30th, and then to build the first RC two days later.

This will be my first time as release manager so I'll probably need some guidance. Currently I have two resource links on this subject:
If you have more, please share with me.

Bruno

Re: 8.6 release

David Smiley
+1 Thanks for volunteering Bruno!

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

Bruno

Adrien

Re: 8.6 release

Atri Sharma-3
+1, thanks Bruno!

I would like to volunteer to be the RM for the next release. I will
shadow Bruno for this one and learn to prepare for the next release if
that is fine.

Atri

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 7:05 PM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 Thanks Bruno!
>
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 3:33 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1 Thanks for volunteering Bruno!
>>
>> ~ David Smiley
>> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 9:31 AM Bruno Roustant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> It’s been a while since we released Lucene/Solr 8.5.
>>> I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.6 release. If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on June 30th, and then to build the first RC two days later.
>>>
>>> This will be my first time as release manager so I'll probably need some guidance. Currently I have two resource links on this subject:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseTodo
>>> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/tree/master/dev-tools/scripts#releasewizardpy
>>> If you have more, please share with me.
>>>
>>> Bruno
>

> --
> Adrien

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6 release

Ignacio Vera
+1 thanks!

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 3:43 PM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1, thanks Bruno!

I would like to volunteer to be the RM for the next release. I will
shadow Bruno for this one and learn to prepare for the next release if
that is fine.

Atri

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 7:05 PM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 Thanks Bruno!
>
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 3:33 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1 Thanks for volunteering Bruno!
>>
>> ~ David Smiley
>> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 9:31 AM Bruno Roustant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> It’s been a while since we released Lucene/Solr 8.5.
>>> I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.6 release. If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on June 30th, and then to build the first RC two days later.
>>>
>>> This will be my first time as release manager so I'll probably need some guidance. Currently I have two resource links on this subject:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseTodo
>>> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/tree/master/dev-tools/scripts#releasewizardpy
>>> If you have more, please share with me.
>>>
>>> Bruno
>

> --
> Adrien

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6 release

Atri Sharma-3
Bruno,

If you would want, I am willing to help you out in doing the 8.6 release. Will help learn the process as well.

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 19:01, Bruno Roustant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

It’s been a while since we released Lucene/Solr 8.5.
I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.6 release. If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on June 30th, and then to build the first RC two days later.

This will be my first time as release manager so I'll probably need some guidance. Currently I have two resource links on this subject:
If you have more, please share with me.

Bruno

Atri
Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6 release

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
+1.

5.5, 6.6, 7.7... 8x line should get 3 more releases to keep the trend going.

On Tue, 16 Jun, 2020, 8:20 pm Bruno Roustant, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Atri, yes sure. More eyes to verify the steps.

Le mar. 16 juin 2020 à 16:38, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Bruno,

If you would want, I am willing to help you out in doing the 8.6 release. Will help learn the process as well.

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 19:01, Bruno Roustant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

It’s been a while since we released Lucene/Solr 8.5.
I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.6 release. If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on June 30th, and then to build the first RC two days later.

This will be my first time as release manager so I'll probably need some guidance. Currently I have two resource links on this subject:
If you have more, please share with me.

Bruno

Atri
Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6 release

Mike Drob-3
+1

The release wizard python script should be sufficient for everything. If you run into any issues with it, let me know, I used it for 8.5.2 and think I understand it pretty well.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 8:31 AM Bruno Roustant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

It’s been a while since we released Lucene/Solr 8.5.
I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.6 release. If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on June 30th, and then to build the first RC two days later.

This will be my first time as release manager so I'll probably need some guidance. Currently I have two resource links on this subject:
If you have more, please share with me.

Bruno

Bruno

Re: 8.6 release

Cassandra Targett
I started looking at the Ref Guide for 8.6 to get it ready, and notice there are no Upgrade Notes in `solr-upgrade-notes.adoc` for 8.6. Is it really true that none are needed at all?

I’ll add what I usually do about new features/changes that maybe wouldn’t normally make the old Upgrade Notes section, I just find it surprising that there weren’t any devs who thought any of the 100 or so Solr changes warrant any user caveats.
On Jun 17, 2020, 12:27 PM -0500, Tomás Fernández Löbbe <[hidden email]>, wrote:
+1. Thanks Bruno

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 6:22 AM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

The release wizard python script should be sufficient for everything. If you run into any issues with it, let me know, I used it for 8.5.2 and think I understand it pretty well.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 8:31 AM Bruno Roustant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

It’s been a while since we released Lucene/Solr 8.5.
I’d like to volunteer to be a release manager for an 8.6 release. If there's agreement, then I plan to cut the release branch two weeks today, on June 30th, and then to build the first RC two days later.

This will be my first time as release manager so I'll probably need some guidance. Currently I have two resource links on this subject:
If you have more, please share with me.

Bruno

Re: 8.6 release

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
Thanks starting this discussion, Cassandra.

I reviewed the issues I was involved with and I don't quite see something worth noting.

I plan to add a note about a change in defaults within UnifiedHighlighter that could be a significant perf regression.  This wasn't introduced in 8.6 but introduced in 8.5 and it's significant enough to bring attention to.  I could add it in 8.5's section but then add a short pointer to it in 8.6.

~ David

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 2:52 PM Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bruno

Re: 8.6 release

Bruno Roustant
So the plan is to cut the release branch on next Tuesday June 30th. If you anticipate a problem with the date, please reply.

Is there any JIRA issue that must be committed before the release is made and that has not already the appropriate "Fix Version"?

Currently there 3 unresolved issues flagged as Fix Version = 8.6:
Add tests for corruptions caused by byte flips LUCENE-9356
Fix linefiledocs compression or replace in tests LUCENE-9191
Can we merge small segments during refresh, for faster searching? LUCENE-8962

Le mer. 24 juin 2020 à 21:05, David Smiley <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Bruno

Re: 8.6 release

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Unresolved Solr issues tagged with 8.6:

SOLR-14593   Package store API to disable file upload over HTTP                  Blocker
SOLR-14580   CloudSolrClient cannot be initialized using 'zkHosts' builder       Blocker
SOLR-14516   NPE during Realtime GET                                             Major
SOLR-14502   increase bin/solr's post kill sleep                                 Minor
SOLR-14398   package store PUT should be idempotent                              Trivial
SOLR-14311   Shared schema should not have access to core level classes          Major
SOLR-14182   Move metric reporters config from solr.xml to ZK cluster properties Major
SOLR-14066   Deprecate DIH                                                       Blocker
SOLR-14022   Deprecate CDCR from Solr in 8.x                                     Blocker

Plus two private JIRA issues.

Jan

26. jun. 2020 kl. 12:06 skrev Bruno Roustant <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Bruno

Re: 8.6 release

Michael Sokolov-4
I think Simon is working on LUCENE-8962 and seems to be close, but we
have been here before; it's quite possible we need more time to fully
bake this change. I'll let him weigh in on whether he thinks targeting
8.6 is reasonable, but we might need to slip until 8.7 for that one

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 6:06 AM Bruno Roustant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So the plan is to cut the release branch on next Tuesday June 30th. If you anticipate a problem with the date, please reply.
>
> Is there any JIRA issue that must be committed before the release is made and that has not already the appropriate "Fix Version"?
>
> Currently there 3 unresolved issues flagged as Fix Version = 8.6:
> Add tests for corruptions caused by byte flips LUCENE-9356
> Fix linefiledocs compression or replace in tests LUCENE-9191
> Can we merge small segments during refresh, for faster searching? LUCENE-8962
>

> Le mer. 24 juin 2020 à 21:05, David Smiley <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Thanks starting this discussion, Cassandra.
>>
>> I reviewed the issues I was involved with and I don't quite see something worth noting.
>>
>> I plan to add a note about a change in defaults within UnifiedHighlighter that could be a significant perf regression.  This wasn't introduced in 8.6 but introduced in 8.5 and it's significant enough to bring attention to.  I could add it in 8.5's section but then add a short pointer to it in 8.6.
>>
>> ~ David
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 2:52 PM Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I started looking at the Ref Guide for 8.6 to get it ready, and notice there are no Upgrade Notes in `solr-upgrade-notes.adoc` for 8.6. Is it really true that none are needed at all?
>>>
>>> I’ll add what I usually do about new features/changes that maybe wouldn’t normally make the old Upgrade Notes section, I just find it surprising that there weren’t any devs who thought any of the 100 or so Solr changes warrant any user caveats.
>>> On Jun 17, 2020, 12:27 PM -0500, Tomás Fernández Löbbe <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>>>
>>> +1. Thanks Bruno

Re: 8.6 release

Theyaa Matti
Would 8.6 use gradle for build or still use Ant?

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 9:35 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think Simon is working on LUCENE-8962 and seems to be close, but we
have been here before; it's quite possible we need more time to fully
bake this change. I'll let him weigh in on whether he thinks targeting
8.6 is reasonable, but we might need to slip until 8.7 for that one

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 6:06 AM Bruno Roustant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So the plan is to cut the release branch on next Tuesday June 30th. If you anticipate a problem with the date, please reply.
>
> Is there any JIRA issue that must be committed before the release is made and that has not already the appropriate "Fix Version"?
>
> Currently there 3 unresolved issues flagged as Fix Version = 8.6:
> Add tests for corruptions caused by byte flips LUCENE-9356
> Fix linefiledocs compression or replace in tests LUCENE-9191
> Can we merge small segments during refresh, for faster searching? LUCENE-8962
>

> Le mer. 24 juin 2020 à 21:05, David Smiley <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Thanks starting this discussion, Cassandra.
>>
>> I reviewed the issues I was involved with and I don't quite see something worth noting.
>>
>> I plan to add a note about a change in defaults within UnifiedHighlighter that could be a significant perf regression.  This wasn't introduced in 8.6 but introduced in 8.5 and it's significant enough to bring attention to.  I could add it in 8.5's section but then add a short pointer to it in 8.6.
>>
>> ~ David
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 2:52 PM Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I started looking at the Ref Guide for 8.6 to get it ready, and notice there are no Upgrade Notes in `solr-upgrade-notes.adoc` for 8.6. Is it really true that none are needed at all?
>>>
>>> I’ll add what I usually do about new features/changes that maybe wouldn’t normally make the old Upgrade Notes section, I just find it surprising that there weren’t any devs who thought any of the 100 or so Solr changes warrant any user caveats.
>>> On Jun 17, 2020, 12:27 PM -0500, Tomás Fernández Löbbe <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>>>
>>> +1. Thanks Bruno

Re: 8.6 release

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
RE 8.x:  Ant!
Gradle is master (9.x)

~ David

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:00 AM Theyaa Matti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Would 8.6 use gradle for build or still use Ant?

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 9:35 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think Simon is working on LUCENE-8962 and seems to be close, but we
have been here before; it's quite possible we need more time to fully
bake this change. I'll let him weigh in on whether he thinks targeting
8.6 is reasonable, but we might need to slip until 8.7 for that one

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 6:06 AM Bruno Roustant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So the plan is to cut the release branch on next Tuesday June 30th. If you anticipate a problem with the date, please reply.
>
> Is there any JIRA issue that must be committed before the release is made and that has not already the appropriate "Fix Version"?
>
> Currently there 3 unresolved issues flagged as Fix Version = 8.6:
> Add tests for corruptions caused by byte flips LUCENE-9356
> Fix linefiledocs compression or replace in tests LUCENE-9191
> Can we merge small segments during refresh, for faster searching? LUCENE-8962
>

> Le mer. 24 juin 2020 à 21:05, David Smiley <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Thanks starting this discussion, Cassandra.
>>
>> I reviewed the issues I was involved with and I don't quite see something worth noting.
>>
>> I plan to add a note about a change in defaults within UnifiedHighlighter that could be a significant perf regression.  This wasn't introduced in 8.6 but introduced in 8.5 and it's significant enough to bring attention to.  I could add it in 8.5's section but then add a short pointer to it in 8.6.
>>
>> ~ David
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 2:52 PM Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I started looking at the Ref Guide for 8.6 to get it ready, and notice there are no Upgrade Notes in `solr-upgrade-notes.adoc` for 8.6. Is it really true that none are needed at all?
>>>
>>> I’ll add what I usually do about new features/changes that maybe wouldn’t normally make the old Upgrade Notes section, I just find it surprising that there weren’t any devs who thought any of the 100 or so Solr changes warrant any user caveats.
>>> On Jun 17, 2020, 12:27 PM -0500, Tomás Fernández Löbbe <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>>>
>>> +1. Thanks Bruno

Re: 8.6 release

Theyaa Matti
Thank you!

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:01 AM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
RE 8.x:  Ant!
Gradle is master (9.x)

~ David

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:00 AM Theyaa Matti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Would 8.6 use gradle for build or still use Ant?

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 9:35 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think Simon is working on LUCENE-8962 and seems to be close, but we
have been here before; it's quite possible we need more time to fully
bake this change. I'll let him weigh in on whether he thinks targeting
8.6 is reasonable, but we might need to slip until 8.7 for that one

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 6:06 AM Bruno Roustant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So the plan is to cut the release branch on next Tuesday June 30th. If you anticipate a problem with the date, please reply.
>
> Is there any JIRA issue that must be committed before the release is made and that has not already the appropriate "Fix Version"?
>
> Currently there 3 unresolved issues flagged as Fix Version = 8.6:
> Add tests for corruptions caused by byte flips LUCENE-9356
> Fix linefiledocs compression or replace in tests LUCENE-9191
> Can we merge small segments during refresh, for faster searching? LUCENE-8962
>

> Le mer. 24 juin 2020 à 21:05, David Smiley <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Thanks starting this discussion, Cassandra.
>>
>> I reviewed the issues I was involved with and I don't quite see something worth noting.
>>
>> I plan to add a note about a change in defaults within UnifiedHighlighter that could be a significant perf regression.  This wasn't introduced in 8.6 but introduced in 8.5 and it's significant enough to bring attention to.  I could add it in 8.5's section but then add a short pointer to it in 8.6.
>>
>> ~ David
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 2:52 PM Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I started looking at the Ref Guide for 8.6 to get it ready, and notice there are no Upgrade Notes in `solr-upgrade-notes.adoc` for 8.6. Is it really true that none are needed at all?
>>>
>>> I’ll add what I usually do about new features/changes that maybe wouldn’t normally make the old Upgrade Notes section, I just find it surprising that there weren’t any devs who thought any of the 100 or so Solr changes warrant any user caveats.
>>> On Jun 17, 2020, 12:27 PM -0500, Tomás Fernández Löbbe <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>>>
>>> +1. Thanks Bruno

Re: 8.6 release

Andrzej Białecki-2
Jan,

I just removed SOLR-14182 from 8.6, this needs proper back-compat shims and testing, and I don’t have enough time to get it done properly for 8.6.