9.0 release

Michael Sokolov-4
Hi everyone, as we head into a new year full of optimism, is it time
to start discussing the next major release? We released 8.0 on Jun 18,
2019, over 18 months ago. Since then we've switched to a gradle-based
build. We have added vector-valued fields and an HNSW neighbor search
algorithm for them.  At the same time Solr has been getting a major
overhaul which should justify a release, I think? IIRC there was talk
of making 9.0 be the first release of Solr as its own TLP. Is it time
to start planning for that now?

-Mike

Re: 9.0 release

Nicholas Knize
+1 on starting 9.0 release planning.

Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
Principal Engineer - Search  |  Amazon
Apache Lucene PMC Member and Committer
[hidden email]

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 12:34 PM Timothy Potter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dawid Weiss-2
It would be great indeed if we could push to finalize dividing the
codebases (some things have been proven to be doable - snapshot
builds, splitting the code,
build, etc.) and then follow up with proper releases of both Lucene
and Solr (on their independent TLP).

Dawid

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 7:17 PM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone, as we head into a new year full of optimism, is it time
> to start discussing the next major release? We released 8.0 on Jun 18,
> 2019, over 18 months ago. Since then we've switched to a gradle-based
> build. We have added vector-valued fields and an HNSW neighbor search
> algorithm for them.  At the same time Solr has been getting a major
> overhaul which should justify a release, I think? IIRC there was talk
> of making 9.0 be the first release of Solr as its own TLP. Is it time
> to start planning for that now?
>
> -Mike

Re: 9.0 release

Atri Sharma-3
+1

I think the division steps are pretty clearly documented-- a matter of executing them now.

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 01:03 Dawid Weiss, <[hidden email]> wrote:
It would be great indeed if we could push to finalize dividing the
codebases (some things have been proven to be doable - snapshot
builds, splitting the code,
build, etc.) and then follow up with proper releases of both Lucene
and Solr (on their independent TLP).

Dawid

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 7:17 PM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone, as we head into a new year full of optimism, is it time
> to start discussing the next major release? We released 8.0 on Jun 18,
> 2019, over 18 months ago. Since then we've switched to a gradle-based
> build. We have added vector-valued fields and an HNSW neighbor search
> algorithm for them.  At the same time Solr has been getting a major
> overhaul which should justify a release, I think? IIRC there was talk
> of making 9.0 be the first release of Solr as its own TLP. Is it time
> to start planning for that now?
>
> -Mike

Re: 9.0 release

Erick Erickson
It’ll really be nice to not have to switch between gradle and ant when
verifying changes ;).

Not to mention that we’ll be able to stop having to deal with Java 8
.vs. Java 11.

I don’t expect this to be a short release, so yeah, I think it’s time to
start the process.

Erick

> On Dec 28, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> I think the division steps are pretty clearly documented-- a matter of executing them now.
>
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 01:03 Dawid Weiss, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It would be great indeed if we could push to finalize dividing the
> codebases (some things have been proven to be doable - snapshot
> builds, splitting the code,
> build, etc.) and then follow up with proper releases of both Lucene
> and Solr (on their independent TLP).
>

> Dawid
>
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 7:17 PM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone, as we head into a new year full of optimism, is it time
> > to start discussing the next major release? We released 8.0 on Jun 18,
> > 2019, over 18 months ago. Since then we've switched to a gradle-based
> > build. We have added vector-valued fields and an HNSW neighbor search
> > algorithm for them.  At the same time Solr has been getting a major
> > overhaul which should justify a release, I think? IIRC there was talk
> > of making 9.0 be the first release of Solr as its own TLP. Is it time
> > to start planning for that now?
> >
> > -Mike

Re: 9.0 release

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
+1

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 8:43 AM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It’ll really be nice to not have to switch between gradle and ant when
> verifying changes ;).
>
> Not to mention that we’ll be able to stop having to deal with Java 8
> .vs. Java 11.
>
> I don’t expect this to be a short release, so yeah, I think it’s time to
> start the process.
>
> Erick
>
> > On Dec 28, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> >
> > I think the division steps are pretty clearly documented-- a matter of executing them now.
> >
> > On Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 01:03 Dawid Weiss, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It would be great indeed if we could push to finalize dividing the
> > codebases (some things have been proven to be doable - snapshot
> > builds, splitting the code,
> > build, etc.) and then follow up with proper releases of both Lucene
> > and Solr (on their independent TLP).
> >

> > Dawid
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 7:17 PM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone, as we head into a new year full of optimism, is it time
> > > to start discussing the next major release? We released 8.0 on Jun 18,
> > > 2019, over 18 months ago. Since then we've switched to a gradle-based
> > > build. We have added vector-valued fields and an HNSW neighbor search
> > > algorithm for them.  At the same time Solr has been getting a major
> > > overhaul which should justify a release, I think? IIRC there was talk
> > > of making 9.0 be the first release of Solr as its own TLP. Is it time
> > > to start planning for that now?
> > >
> > > -Mike

Re: 9.0 release

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
+1

New year and time to get this ball rolling!

Jan

> 28. des. 2020 kl. 19:17 skrev Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi everyone, as we head into a new year full of optimism, is it time
> to start discussing the next major release? We released 8.0 on Jun 18,
> 2019, over 18 months ago. Since then we've switched to a gradle-based
> build. We have added vector-valued fields and an HNSW neighbor search
> algorithm for them.  At the same time Solr has been getting a major
> overhaul which should justify a release, I think? IIRC there was talk
> of making 9.0 be the first release of Solr as its own TLP. Is it time
> to start planning for that now?
>
> -Mike

Re: 9.0 release

Adrien Grand
+1 to start planning 9.0.

Since you mentioned the Gradle build, I believe that we still need to migrate some of the release tooling from Ant to Gradle, e.g. dev-tools/scripts/addBackcompatIndexes.py. These scripts are not easy to test without actually doing a release so the 9.0 RM might have some debugging to do.

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 7:17 PM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone, as we head into a new year full of optimism, is it time
to start discussing the next major release? We released 8.0 on Jun 18,
2019, over 18 months ago. Since then we've switched to a gradle-based
build. We have added vector-valued fields and an HNSW neighbor search
algorithm for them.  At the same time Solr has been getting a major
overhaul which should justify a release, I think? IIRC there was talk
of making 9.0 be the first release of Solr as its own TLP. Is it time
to start planning for that now?

-Mike

Adrien