AC 2010 Draft Blurb

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC 2010 Draft Blurb

Grant Ingersoll-2
Riffing off of last years...  Could use a little more meat, IMO, but I don't think my brain is on yet.

<snip>

Apache Lucene is a robust and powerful, open source, search toolkit that powers search and discovery in thousands of applications and websites ranging from very well known corporations to startups creating next generation intelligent applications.  Whether it’s embedding Lucene on a mobile app or leveraging the power and simplicity of Apache Solr’s search and faceting capabilities or the large scale crawling features of Nutch, chances are Lucene has a solution to meet your needs.

The Lucene Track at ApacheCon will feature a full slate of training, talks and networking on the entire Lucene ecosystem. A wide range of talks will cover both the technical details and the business aspects of Lucene. Networking events will help connect you with the creators of all the Lucene projects as well as other users.  

</snip>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AC 2010 Draft Blurb

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
Hi Grant,

+1, what do you think of these mods?


On 3/22/10 8:15 AM, "Grant Ignersoll" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Riffing off of last years...  Could use a little more meat, IMO, but I don't
> think my brain is on yet.
>
> <snip>
>
> Apache Lucene is a robust and powerful, open source, search toolkit that
> powers search and discovery in thousands of applications and websites ranging
> from very well known corporations to startups creating next generation
> intelligent applications.  Whether it¹s embedding Lucene on a mobile app or
> leveraging the power and simplicity of Apache Solr¹s search and faceting
harnessing the power and simplicity of Apache Solr's free-text search and
faceting

> capabilities or the large scale crawling features of Nutch, chances are Lucene

capabilities, or simply power web-scale search via Apache Nutch, changes are
Lucene

> has a solution to meet your needs.
>
> The Lucene Track at ApacheCon will feature a full slate of training, talks and
> networking on the entire Lucene ecosystem. A wide range of talks will cover
> both the technical details and the business aspects of Lucene. Networking

both the technical and business details of Lucene. Networking

> events will help connect you with the creators of all the Lucene projects as
> well as other users.

well as other members of the rapidly growing Lucene community. We look
forward to seeing you there!


>
> </snip>
>


Cheers,
Chris

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: [hidden email]
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AC 2010 Draft Blurb

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
Hi Grant,

One correction:

>
>> capabilities or the large scale crawling features of Nutch, chances are
>> Lucene
>
> capabilities, or simply power web-scale search via Apache Nutch, changes are
> Lucene

capabilities, or simply power web-scale search via Apache Nutch, chances are

(changes=>chances)

Cheers,
Chris

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: [hidden email]
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AC 2010 Draft Blurb

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
Sigh.

Let me just put down my entire update since I keep missing little nuances:

<snip>
Apache Lucene is a robust and powerful, open source, search toolkit that powers search and discovery in thousands of applications and websites ranging from very well known corporations to startups creating next generation intelligent applications.  Whether it's embedding Lucene on a mobile app or harnessing the power and simplicity of Apache Solr's free-text search and
faceting capabilities, or simply powering web-scale search via Apache Nutch, chances are Lucene has a solution to meet your needs.

The Lucene Track at ApacheCon will feature a full slate of training, talks and networking on the entire Lucene ecosystem. A wide range of discussions will cover both the technical and business details of Lucene. Networking events will help connect you with the creators of all of the Lucene projects as well as other members of the rapidly growing Lucene community. We look
forward to seeing you there!
</snip>

Cheers,
Chris



On 3/23/10 8:50 AM, "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Grant,

One correction:

>
>> capabilities or the large scale crawling features of Nutch, chances are
>> Lucene
>
> capabilities, or simply power web-scale search via Apache Nutch, changes are
> Lucene

capabilities, or simply power web-scale search via Apache Nutch, chances are

(changes=>chances)

Cheers,
Chris

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: [hidden email]
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++





++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: [hidden email]
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AC 2010 Draft Blurb

hossman
In reply to this post by Grant Ingersoll-2

: Riffing off of last years...  Could use a little more meat, IMO, but I don't think my brain is on yet.

I got the sense from Norin's email that what they're really looking for at
this time is a "vision" statement of what we intend/expect the Lucene
track to be like.  This feels like a good marketing blub to entice/impress
perspective attendees, whereas i think what would be ideal for now is a
blurb intended to entice/impress the confrence organizers.

Perhaps we should focus more on the type of info in your second paragraph
-- stressing the type of track we hope to have, and the expected audience
(and audience sizes) ?

Off the cuff here...

---
Based on size of hte LUcene community, and the success of the Lucene track
at previous confrences, we believes there is sufficient intrest in a
two-day track of sessions focusing on the broader Lucene Ecosystem
(Solr, Nutch, Tika, Mahout, Lucene-Java, and Lucene ports to other
langauges) ...

 * Day #1: Focusing on introductory material for beginer and
   novice users of Lucene products.  These types of talks have
   routinely been "standing room only" at previous confrences.
   (In rooms with 100+ chairs)
   - High level introduction to the Lucene Ecosystem
   - Deep dives and demonstrations of the features of various
     Lucene (and related) products: Lucene-Java, Solr, Nutch, Tika,
     (and Mahout?)

 * Day #2: Focusing on more detailed topics, that will appeal to more
   experienced Users.  While these types of talks generally attract
   smaller more niche audiences then the introductory talks, they
   generally still well attented.
   - In depth case studies of using one or more Lucene products
   - Discussions of advanced techniques for utilizing Lucene
     products to solve novel problems
   - emonstrations of lesser known features



-Hoss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AC 2010 Draft Blurb

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
Hey Hoss,


> : Riffing off of last years...  Could use a little more meat, IMO, but I don't
> think my brain is on yet.
>
> I got the sense from Norin's email that what they're really looking for at
> this time is a "vision" statement of what we intend/expect the Lucene
> track to be like.  This feels like a good marketing blub to entice/impress
> perspective attendees, whereas i think what would be ideal for now is a
> blurb intended to entice/impress the confrence organizers.
>
> Perhaps we should focus more on the type of info in your second paragraph
> -- stressing the type of track we hope to have, and the expected audience
> (and audience sizes) ?
>
> Off the cuff here...
>

How about the below, with spelling corrections/typo fixes:

---
Based on size of the Lucene community, and the success of the Lucene track
at previous conferences, we believe there is sufficient interest in a
two-day track of sessions focusing on the broader Lucene Ecosystem
(Solr, Nutch, Tika, Mahout, Lucene-Java, and Lucene ports to other
languages) ...

 * Day #1: Focusing on introductory material for beginner and
   novice users of Lucene products.  These types of talks have
   routinely been "standing room only" at previous conferences.
   (In rooms with 100+ chairs)
   - High level introduction to the Lucene Ecosystem
   - Deep dives and demonstrations of the features of various
     Lucene (and related) products: Lucene-Java, Solr, Nutch, Tika,
     (and Mahout?)

 * Day #2: Focusing on more detailed topics, that will appeal to more
   experienced users.  While these types of talks generally attract
   smaller more niche audiences than the introductory talks, they
   generally still well attended.
   - In depth case studies of using one or more Lucene products
   - Discussions of advanced techniques for utilizing Lucene
     products to solve novel problems
   - Demonstrations of lesser known features

Sounds great, +1.

Cheers,
Chris

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: [hidden email]
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AC 2010 Draft Blurb

Grant Ingersoll-2
In reply to this post by hossman
Hoss, I think you are right.  We can send them both blurbs, that way they have them.  I notice Sally has put out a Biz. Track CFP already.   I'll submit both (with the edits)

-Grant

On Mar 23, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

>
> : Riffing off of last years...  Could use a little more meat, IMO, but I don't think my brain is on yet.
>
> I got the sense from Norin's email that what they're really looking for at
> this time is a "vision" statement of what we intend/expect the Lucene
> track to be like.  This feels like a good marketing blub to entice/impress
> perspective attendees, whereas i think what would be ideal for now is a
> blurb intended to entice/impress the confrence organizers.
>
> Perhaps we should focus more on the type of info in your second paragraph
> -- stressing the type of track we hope to have, and the expected audience
> (and audience sizes) ?
>
> Off the cuff here...
>
> ---
> Based on size of hte LUcene community, and the success of the Lucene track
> at previous confrences, we believes there is sufficient intrest in a
> two-day track of sessions focusing on the broader Lucene Ecosystem
> (Solr, Nutch, Tika, Mahout, Lucene-Java, and Lucene ports to other
> langauges) ...
>
> * Day #1: Focusing on introductory material for beginer and
>   novice users of Lucene products.  These types of talks have
>   routinely been "standing room only" at previous confrences.
>   (In rooms with 100+ chairs)
>   - High level introduction to the Lucene Ecosystem
>   - Deep dives and demonstrations of the features of various
>     Lucene (and related) products: Lucene-Java, Solr, Nutch, Tika,
>     (and Mahout?)
>
> * Day #2: Focusing on more detailed topics, that will appeal to more
>   experienced Users.  While these types of talks generally attract
>   smaller more niche audiences then the introductory talks, they
>   generally still well attented.
>   - In depth case studies of using one or more Lucene products
>   - Discussions of advanced techniques for utilizing Lucene
>     products to solve novel problems
>   - emonstrations of lesser known features
>
>
>
> -Hoss

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem using Solr/Lucene: http://www.lucidimagination.com/search