AJAX(XHR) is killing search engine?

scott green
Hi list.

We built one website used XMLHttpRequest a lot(OK, a lot of
JSON.  Now, we try to build our own search engine, and face the
problem.

I got some advice by searching "ajax seo". But still one question
here: Is AJAX killing search engine? say we cannot spider the (TRUE)
data from googlemaps.

-- scott

Re: AJAX(XHR) is killing search engine?

kkrugler
>We built one website used XMLHttpRequest a lot(OK, a lot of
>JSON.  Now, we try to build our own search engine, and face the
>problem.
>
>I got some advice by searching "ajax seo". But still one question
>here: Is AJAX killing search engine? say we cannot spider the (TRUE)
>data from googlemaps.

If I understand your question correctly, then yes, having a very
dynamic web site makes it harder for your content to get crawled. In
general spiders don't try to execute JavaScript, so if that's how the
bulk of the content on your web pages is generated, then you have a
problem.

The way we solved this at Krugle (http://krugle.com) is to support
both an AJAX UI for our data, and also static (Web 1.0) pages. They
both get served up by the same back-end, but with different
middleware support. This is also how we handle requests to display
stand-alone pages for content such as files and projects (e.g.
http://krugle.com/projects/pm3pDfP is a URL to the stand-alone page
for the Nutch project, which normally shows up in a tab inside of our
browser UI)

-- Ken
--
Ken Krugler