[ANNOUNCE] Hadoop version 1.2.1 (stable) released

[ANNOUNCE] Hadoop version 1.2.1 (stable) released

Matt Foley-2
I'm happy to announce that Hadoop version 1.2.1 has passed its release vote
and is now available.  It has 18 bug fixes and patches over the previous
1.2.0 release; please see Hadoop 1.2.1 Release
Notes<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.2.1/releasenotes.html>for
details.  This release of Hadoop-1.2 is now considered
*stable*.

The next set of release work will focus on producing Hadoop-1.3.0, which
will include Windows native compatibility.

Thank you,
--Matt
release manager, hadoop-1

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Hadoop version 1.2.1 (stable) released

Matt Foley-2
>> which will include Windows native compatibility.

My apologies, this was incorrect.  Windows has only been integrated to
trunk and branch-2.1.

Thanks,
--Matt

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Matt Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm happy to announce that Hadoop version 1.2.1 has passed its release
> vote and is now available.  It has 18 bug fixes and patches over the
> previous 1.2.0 release; please see Hadoop 1.2.1 Release Notes<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.2.1/releasenotes.html>for details.  This release of Hadoop-1.2 is now considered
> *stable*.
>
> The next set of release work will focus on producing Hadoop-1.3.0, which
> will include Windows native compatibility.
>
> Thank you,
> --Matt
> release manager, hadoop-1

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Hadoop version 1.2.1 (stable) released

Chris K Wensel-2
any particular reason the 1.1.2 releases were pulled from the mirrors (so quickly)?

--
Chris K Wensel
[hidden email]
http://concurrentinc.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Hadoop version 1.2.1 (stable) released

Matt Foley-2
It's still available in archive at
http://archive.apache.org/dist/hadoop/core/.  I can put it back on the main
download site if desired, but the model is that the main download site is
for stuff we actively want people to download.  Here is the relevant quote
from http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease , under the "Publishing"
section:

3. The release directory usually contains just two releases, the most
recent from two branches, with a link named 'stable' to the most recent
recommended version.

Quite a few more than two versions have accumulated, because more than two
branches are active.  But within the Hadoop-1 set I've tried to keep it
minimal.  Since 1.2.1 was accepted as a "stable" release, I saw no reason
to keep 1.1.2, since we'd rather people downloaded 1.2.1.  When 1.3.0 is
produced, since it will be "beta" quality, 1.2.1 will of course remain as
the "stable" version.

--Matt

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Chris K Wensel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> any particular reason the 1.1.2 releases were pulled from the mirrors (so
> quickly)?
>
> On Aug 4, 2013, at 2:08 PM, Matt Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm happy to announce that Hadoop version 1.2.1 has passed its release
> vote
> > and is now available.  It has 18 bug fixes and patches over the previous
> > 1.2.0 release; please see Hadoop 1.2.1 Release
> > Notes<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.2.1/releasenotes.html>for
> > details.  This release of Hadoop-1.2 is now considered
> > *stable*.
> >
> > The next set of release work will focus on producing Hadoop-1.3.0, which
> > will include Windows native compatibility.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > --Matt
> > release manager, hadoop-1
>
> --
> Chris K Wensel
> [hidden email]
> http://concurrentinc.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Hadoop version 1.2.1 (stable) released

Chris K Wensel-2
regardless of what was written in a wiki somewhere, it is a bit aggressive I think.

there are a fair number of automated things that link to the former stable releases that are now broken as they weren't given a grace period to cut over.

not the end of the world or anything. just a bit of a disconnect to reference something labeled stable where the reference itself isn't. too bad there isn't some 'stable' link that itself is updated to the actual stable release.

we do this now with all of the cascading artifacts. it prevents automated things from breaking immediately.

http://files.cascading.org/sdk/2.1/latest.txt

ckw

--
Chris K Wensel
[hidden email]
http://concurrentinc.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Hadoop version 1.2.1 (stable) released

Matt Foley
Chris, there is a stable link for exactly this purpose:
http://www.apache.org/dist/hadoop/core/stable/
--Matt

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Chris K Wensel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > and is now available.  It has 18 bug fixes and patches over the previous
>> > 1.2.0 release; please see Hadoop 1.2.1 Release
>> > Notes<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.2.1/releasenotes.html>for
>> > details.  This release of Hadoop-1.2 is now considered
>> > *stable*.
>> >
>> > The next set of release work will focus on producing Hadoop-1.3.0, which
>> > will include Windows native compatibility.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > --Matt
>> > release manager, hadoop-1
>>
>> --
>> Chris K Wensel
>> [hidden email]
>> http://concurrentinc.com
>>

>     --
> Chris K Wensel
> [hidden email]
> http://concurrentinc.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Hadoop version 1.2.1 (stable) released

that works, thanks for clearing that up.

--
Chris K Wensel
[hidden email]