Add Tika as a Lucene project

chrismattmann
Hi Folks:

I spoke with Doug off line about adding Apache Tika (http://incubator.apache.org/tika/), which is sponsored by the Lucene PMC, as a link underneath the "What is Lucene?" section at the top of the http://lucene.apache.org site, that lists the sub-projects of Lucene. Listed there is "Lucene.NET", which is currently incubating, like Tika. I was wondering if it would make sense to put a link to Tika on that main Lucene page too, since its goal is to graduate to a Lucene sub-project (hopefully sometime in the next 6 months, with another release under our belts, and perhaps, with Nutch [existing], and Solr dependencies on it) and since we've just made our first Apache Incubator release.

Doug thought this sounded like a good idea. I think I have (via my Nutch committership) the ability to update the Lucene website. Would everyone be OK with me adding a link to Tika underneath Lucene.NET on the Lucene main page, as stated above?

Let me know, and if so, I'd be happy to rebuild the site, and svn up it on the apache servers.

Thanks!

Cheers,
 Chris

Re: Add Tika as a Lucene project

hossman

: I spoke with Doug off line about adding Apache Tika
: (http://incubator.apache.org/tika/), which is sponsored by the Lucene PMC,
: as a link underneath the "What is Lucene?" section at the top of the

Excellent idea ... I'm sorry it hasn't happened sooner.

: Doug thought this sounded like a good idea. I think I have (via my Nutch
: committership) the ability to update the Lucene website. Would everyone be

I'm pretty sure only PMC members can edit the TLP site, but i'll do it now
(i've got a few minutes to kill before a meeting)

Re: Add Tika as a Lucene project

Andrzej Białecki-2
Chris Mattmann wrote:

> Hi Folks:
>
> I spoke with Doug off line about adding Apache Tika
> (http://incubator.apache.org/tika/), which is sponsored by the Lucene PMC,
> as a link underneath the "What is Lucene?" section at the top of the
> http://lucene.apache.org site, that lists the sub-projects of Lucene. Listed
> there is "Lucene.NET", which is currently incubating, like Tika. I was
> wondering if it would make sense to put a link to Tika on that main Lucene
> page too, since its goal is to graduate to a Lucene sub-project (hopefully
> sometime in the next 6 months, with another release under our belts, and
> perhaps, with Nutch [existing], and Solr dependencies on it) and since we've
> just made our first Apache Incubator release.
>
> Doug thought this sounded like a good idea. I think I have (via my Nutch
> committership) the ability to update the Lucene website. Would everyone be
> OK with me adding a link to Tika underneath Lucene.NET on the Lucene main
> page, as stated above?
>
> Let me know, and if so, I'd be happy to rebuild the site, and svn up it on
> the apache servers.

+1 - Tika definitely needs more exposure.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: Add Tika as a Lucene project

Grant Ingersoll-2
+1
On Jan 8, 2008, at 4:03 PM, Chris Mattmann wrote:

> Hi Folks:
>
> I spoke with Doug off line about adding Apache Tika
> (http://incubator.apache.org/tika/), which is sponsored by the
> Lucene PMC,
> as a link underneath the "What is Lucene?" section at the top of the
> http://lucene.apache.org site, that lists the sub-projects of
> Lucene. Listed
> there is "Lucene.NET", which is currently incubating, like Tika. I was
> wondering if it would make sense to put a link to Tika on that main
> Lucene
> page too, since its goal is to graduate to a Lucene sub-project
> (hopefully
> sometime in the next 6 months, with another release under our belts,
> and
> perhaps, with Nutch [existing], and Solr dependencies on it) and
> since we've
> just made our first Apache Incubator release.
>
> Doug thought this sounded like a good idea. I think I have (via my
> Nutch
> committership) the ability to update the Lucene website. Would
> everyone be
> OK with me adding a link to Tika underneath Lucene.NET on the Lucene
> main
> page, as stated above?
>
> Let me know, and if so, I'd be happy to rebuild the site, and svn up
> it on
> the apache servers.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,