Adding dependency to servlet-api

mark harwood
I'd like to add a web-based demo for the XML QueryParser but unlike the
existing web demo I'd prefer to use some Java code that gets compiled
rather than doing it all in JSP files that aren't part of the build.
Doing it this way will add a dependency on servlet-api.jar which will
need to be added to the build somehow.
Has anyone done this before on an Apache project before and know what
the license implications are? Tomcat/Struts must do this already but I'm
not sure what is involved.

Cheers
Mark

Re: Adding dependency to servlet-api

Konstantin Priblouda

----[ Konstantin Pribluda http://www.pribluda.de ]----------------
JTec quality components: http://www.pribluda.de/projects/

> I'd like to add a web-based demo for the XML QueryParser
> but unlike the existing web demo I'd prefer to use some
> Java code that gets compiled rather than doing it all in JSP
> files that aren't part of the build. Doing it this way
> will add a dependency on servlet-api.jar which will need to
> be added to the build somehow.
> Has anyone done this before on an Apache project before and
> know what the license implications are? Tomcat/Struts must
> do this already but I'm not sure what is involved.

Geronimo project provides servlet api declarations in m2 repository on apache.
Usually this is agood choice.

RE: Adding dependency to servlet-api

Uwe Schindler
E.g. Jetty webserver (Apache 2.0 License) ships the servlet 2.5 API in
source (SVN) and binary form along with its web container server.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Just checked Solr (forgot about that obvious precedent!) and they have it in trunk/lib and an entry in trunk/notice.txt which reads:

"  Includes software from other Apache Software Foundation projects, including, but not limited to:
      - Apache Tomcat (lib/servlet-api-2.4.jar)
 "
I thought the servlet api was Sun's to be honest so not sure why it is credited to Tomcat.

I could just follow this precedent. Anyone from the Solr camp care to comment?

E.g. Jetty webserver (Apache 2.0 License) ships the servlet 2.5 API in
source (SVN) and binary form along with its web container server.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Jetty or my project have the following text in NOTICE.txt:

"The javax.servlet package used by Jetty/panFMP is copyright
Sun Microsystems, Inc and Apache Software Foundation. It is
distributed under the Common Development and Distribution License.
You can obtain a copy of the license at:
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/CDDLv1.0.html."

I think, this is the correct way to refer to it. The source code of the
servlet API in Jetty contains the standard CDDL-Header on each .java file.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
> Just checked Solr (forgot about that obvious precedent!) and they have it
> in trunk/lib and an entry in trunk/notice.txt which reads:
>
> "  Includes software from other Apache Software Foundation projects,
> including, but not limited to:
>       - Apache Tomcat (lib/servlet-api-2.4.jar)
>  "
> I thought the servlet api was Sun's to be honest so not sure why it is
> credited to Tomcat.
>
> I could just follow this precedent. Anyone from the Solr camp care to
> comment?

Erik Hatcher
Mark,

How about simply adding a query parser plugin to Solr using the XML
query parser?   It'd be pretty short, sweet, easy, and a real value-
add to Solr too!   I'd be happy to help or to even go the full
distance and implement it myself.  I've considered it often, as it
would be great to provide the breadth of query types that your parser
can create.

        Erik

On Nov 5, 2008, at 4:16 AM, mark harwood wrote:

> Just checked Solr (forgot about that obvious precedent!) and they
> have it in trunk/lib and an entry in trunk/notice.txt which reads:
>
> "  Includes software from other Apache Software Foundation projects,
> including, but not limited to:
>      - Apache Tomcat (lib/servlet-api-2.4.jar)
> "
> I thought the servlet api was Sun's to be honest so not sure why it
> is credited to Tomcat.
>
> I could just follow this precedent. Anyone from the Solr camp care
> to comment?

My initial concern is to make public in Lucene/contrib the demo web app I have just written up for Lucene In Action 2. I wanted to put this in Lucene/contrib rather than limit it to being code distributed with the book.
This aside, I think it's generally important to maintain documentation/demos/code and other useful resources under the core Lucene project for those people where Solr might not necessarily be the answer.

>>I'd be happy to help or to even go the full distance and implement it myself.

Adding XML query support to Solr certainly sounds like it would be a sensible idea. I think applications with advanced query criteria struggle with the constraints of standard Lucene QueryParser syntax or passing "flat" parameters in Solr urls.
Not sure I can commit any time to extending Solr myself but happy to support you with any guidance you may need on this.

Cheers,
Mark

How about simply adding a query parser plugin to Solr using the XML query parser?   It'd be pretty short, sweet, easy, and a real value-add to Solr too!   I'd be happy to help or to even go the full distance and implement it myself.  I've considered it often, as it would be great to provide the breadth of query types that your parser can create.

    Erik

On Nov 5, 2008, at 4:16 AM, mark harwood wrote:

> Just checked Solr (forgot about that obvious precedent!) and they have it in trunk/lib and an entry in trunk/notice.txt which reads:
>
> "  Includes software from other Apache Software Foundation projects, including, but not limited to:
>      - Apache Tomcat (lib/servlet-api-2.4.jar)
> "
> I thought the servlet api was Sun's to be honest so not sure why it is credited to Tomcat.
>
> I could just follow this precedent. Anyone from the Solr camp care to comment?

Yonik Seeley-2
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:16 AM, mark harwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just checked Solr (forgot about that obvious precedent!) and they have it in trunk/lib and an entry in trunk/notice.txt which reads:
>
> "  Includes software from other Apache Software Foundation projects, including, but not limited to:
>      - Apache Tomcat (lib/servlet-api-2.4.jar)
>  "
> I thought the servlet api was Sun's to be honest so not sure why it is credited to Tomcat.

That's where I grabbed it from (Tomcat) and they have nothing special
in NOTICE about it, so technically nothing extra at all is needed in
Solr's NOTICE.

As far as how Sun fits in, perhaps they did the spec (a document), and
Tomcat made their own compilable java files?  As an ASF project, I
relied on Tomcat having done their license/notice stuff correctly.

RE: Adding dependency to servlet-api

Uwe Schindler
Tomcat and also jetty have a set of source java files in their dev tree from
what they build the servlet-2.5.jar. Each JAVA file under javax.servlet
(version 2.5) starts with the following text comment:

/*
 * The contents of this file are subject to the terms
 * of the Common Development and Distribution License
 * (the "License").  You may not use this file except
 * in compliance with the License.
 *
 * You can obtain a copy of the license at
 * glassfish/bootstrap/legal/CDDLv1.0.txt or
 * https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/CDDLv1.0.html.
 * See the License for the specific language governing
 * permissions and limitations under the License.
 *
 * When distributing Covered Code, include this CDDL
 * HEADER in each file and include the License file at
 * glassfish/bootstrap/legal/CDDLv1.0.txt.  If applicable,
 * add the following below this CDDL HEADER, with the
 * fields enclosed by brackets "[]" replaced with your
 * own identifying information: Portions Copyright [yyyy]
 * [name of copyright owner]
 *
 * Copyright 2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
 *
 * Portions Copyright Apache Software Foundation.
 */

I think this is a clear license note. And there is also the link to "Apache"
in the last sentence!

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
eMail: [hidden email]

I'm not seeing it:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/javax/servlet/Servlet.java
can you give a link?

If Tomcat needs a NOTICE for this, we should bring it up on tomcat-dev.

-Yonik

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tomcat and also jetty have a set of source java files in their dev tree from
> what they build the servlet-2.5.jar. Each JAVA file under javax.servlet
> (version 2.5) starts with the following text comment:
>
> /*
>  * The contents of this file are subject to the terms
>  * of the Common Development and Distribution License
>  * (the "License").  You may not use this file except
>  * in compliance with the License.
>  *
>  * You can obtain a copy of the license at
>  * glassfish/bootstrap/legal/CDDLv1.0.txt or
>  * https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/CDDLv1.0.html.
>  * See the License for the specific language governing
>  * permissions and limitations under the License.
>  *
>  * When distributing Covered Code, include this CDDL
>  * HEADER in each file and include the License file at
>  * glassfish/bootstrap/legal/CDDLv1.0.txt.  If applicable,
>  * add the following below this CDDL HEADER, with the
>  * fields enclosed by brackets "[]" replaced with your
>  * own identifying information: Portions Copyright [yyyy]
>  * [name of copyright owner]
>  *
>  * Copyright 2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * Portions Copyright Apache Software Foundation.
>  */
>
> I think this is a clear license note. And there is also the link to "Apache"
> in the last sentence!
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de
> eMail: [hidden email]

This notice was from the redistributed file in Jetty 6.1.12 (which is
elsewhere licensed by Apache 2.0 License):
http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty/tags/jetty-6.1.12.rc5/modules/servlet-ap
i-2.5/src/main/java/javax/servlet/Servlet.java

The interesting thing is that the rest of the files are identical, only the
license header is different, even the Javadocs and comments are exactly the
same in the Tomcat-Apache-2.0 and Sun-CDDL version: e.g., in HttpUtils.java
is some part of "disabled" code in getRequestURL(), that is *identical* in
the Tomcat and Jetty version, so even both "developers" (maybe they are
really the same person) had the same idea of disabling code by "//". In my
opinion, as the code is identical to 100%, I think the licenses are not the
problem. So for me it does not seem, that the Apache people wrote a "own"
compileable version of the spec - they also copied the reference
implementation (or maybe the Tomcat version is also Sun's reference
implementation of the spec?)

The CDDL license notice is always in the files downloaded from Sun
Microsystems, on Tomcats server is the Apache 2.0 Header. But the CDDL
header references Apache and I think the other way round it maybe the same.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
eMail: [hidden email]

Mark - I've done a quick implementation here:

   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-839>

I'm not familiar, yet, with what it takes (haven't read your
contribution to LIA2 yet, bad, Erik, bad) to configure it - so any
feedback you have on what might be needed beyond this is welcome:

   public Query parse() throws ParseException {
     CorePlusExtensionsParser parser = new
CorePlusExtensionsParser(getReq().getSchema().getQueryAnalyzer(),
getReq().getSchema().getSolrQueryParser(null));
     try {
       return parser.parse(new
ByteArrayInputStream(getString().getBytes()));
     } catch (ParserException e) {
       throw new ParseException(e.getMessage());
     }
   }

        Erik