Adding the suggest component

Brian Lamb
Hi all,

When I installed Solr, I downloaded the most recent version (1.4.1) I
believe. I wanted to implement the Suggester (
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Suggester). I copied and pasted the information
there into my solrconfig.xml file but I'm getting the following error:

Error loading class 'org.apache.solr.spelling.suggest.Suggester'

I read up on this error and found that I needed to checkout a newer version
from SVN. I checked out a full version and copied the contents of
src/java/org/apache/spelling/suggest to the same location on my set up.
However, I am still receiving this error.

Did I not put the files in the right place? What am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks,

Brian Lamb

Re: Adding the suggest component

Erick Erickson
What do you mean "you copied the contents...to the right place"? If you
checked out trunk and copied the files into 1.4.1, you have mixed source
files between disparate versions. All bets are off.

Or do you mean jar files? or???

I'd build the source you checked out (at the Solr level) and use that rather
than try to mix-n-match.

BTW, if you're just starting (as in not in production), you may want to consider
using 3.1, as it's being released even as we speak and has many improvements
over 1.4. You can get a nightly build from here:
https://builds.apache.org/hudson/view/S-Z/view/Solr/

Best
Erick

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Brian Lamb
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When I installed Solr, I downloaded the most recent version (1.4.1) I
> believe. I wanted to implement the Suggester (
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Suggester). I copied and pasted the information
> there into my solrconfig.xml file but I'm getting the following error:
>
> Error loading class 'org.apache.solr.spelling.suggest.Suggester'
>
> I read up on this error and found that I needed to checkout a newer version
> from SVN. I checked out a full version and copied the contents of
> src/java/org/apache/spelling/suggest to the same location on my set up.
> However, I am still receiving this error.
>
> Did I not put the files in the right place? What am I doing incorrectly?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Lamb

Re: Adding the suggest component

Brian Lamb
That does seem like a better solution. I downloaded a recent version and
there were the following files/folders:

build.xml
dev-tools
LICENSE.txt
lucene
NOTICE.txt
README.txt
solr

So I did cp -r solr/* /path/to/solr/stuff/ and started solr. I didn't get
any error message but I only got the following messages:

2011-03-18 14:11:02.016:INFO::Logging to STDERR via
org.mortbay.log.StdErrLog
2011-03-18 14:11:02.240:INFO::jetty-6.1-SNAPSHOT
2011-03-18 14:11:02.284:INFO::Started SocketConnector@0.0.0.0:8983

Where as before I got a bunch of messages indicating various libraries had
been loaded. Additionally, when I go to http://localhost/solr/admin/, I get
the following message:

HTTP ERROR: 404

Problem accessing /solr/admin. Reason:

    NOT_FOUND

What did I do incorrectly?

Thanks,

Brian Lamb

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> What do you mean "you copied the contents...to the right place"? If you
> checked out trunk and copied the files into 1.4.1, you have mixed source
> files between disparate versions. All bets are off.
>
> Or do you mean jar files? or???
>
> I'd build the source you checked out (at the Solr level) and use that
> rather
> than try to mix-n-match.
>
> BTW, if you're just starting (as in not in production), you may want to
> consider
> using 3.1, as it's being released even as we speak and has many
> improvements
> over 1.4. You can get a nightly build from here:
> https://builds.apache.org/hudson/view/S-Z/view/Solr/
>
> Best
> Erick
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Brian Lamb
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > When I installed Solr, I downloaded the most recent version (1.4.1) I
> > believe. I wanted to implement the Suggester (
> > http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Suggester). I copied and pasted the
> information
> > there into my solrconfig.xml file but I'm getting the following error:
> >
> > Error loading class 'org.apache.solr.spelling.suggest.Suggester'
> >
> > I read up on this error and found that I needed to checkout a newer
> version
> > from SVN. I checked out a full version and copied the contents of
> > src/java/org/apache/spelling/suggest to the same location on my set up.
> > However, I am still receiving this error.
> >
> > Did I not put the files in the right place? What am I doing incorrectly?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Brian Lamb

Re: Adding the suggest component

Darx Oman
Hi
Solr 3.x and 4.x (trunk) include a component called Suggester
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Suggester

Re: Adding the suggest component

britske
> 2011-03-18 14:11:02.284:INFO::Started SocketConnector@0.0.0.0:8983
Solr started on port 8983

instead of this:
> http://localhost/solr/admin/

try this instead:
http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/ <http://localhost/solr/admin/>

Cheers,
Geert-Jan

2011/3/18 Brian Lamb <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> > Erick
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Brian Lamb
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > When I installed Solr, I downloaded the most recent version (1.4.1) I
> > > believe. I wanted to implement the Suggester (
> > > http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Suggester). I copied and pasted the
> > information
> > > there into my solrconfig.xml file but I'm getting the following error:
> > >
> > > Error loading class 'org.apache.solr.spelling.suggest.Suggester'
> > >
> > > I read up on this error and found that I needed to checkout a newer
> > version
> > > from SVN. I checked out a full version and copied the contents of
> > > src/java/org/apache/spelling/suggest to the same location on my set up.
> > > However, I am still receiving this error.
> > >
> > > Did I not put the files in the right place? What am I doing

Sorry, that was a typo on my part.

I was using http://localhost:8983/solr/admin and getting the above error
messages.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Geert-Jan Brits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > 2011-03-18 14:11:02.284:INFO::Started SocketConnector@0.0.0.0:8983
> Solr started on port 8983
>
> instead of this:
> > http://localhost/solr/admin/
>
> try this instead:
> http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/ <http://localhost/solr/admin/>
>
> Cheers,
> Geert-Jan
>

> 2011/3/18 Brian Lamb <[hidden email]>
>
> > That does seem like a better solution. I downloaded a recent version and
> > there were the following files/folders:
> >
> > build.xml
> > dev-tools
> > LICENSE.txt
> > lucene
> > NOTICE.txt
> > README.txt
> > solr
> >
> > So I did cp -r solr/* /path/to/solr/stuff/ and started solr. I didn't get
> > any error message but I only got the following messages:
> >
> > 2011-03-18 14:11:02.016:INFO::Logging to STDERR via
> > org.mortbay.log.StdErrLog
> > 2011-03-18 14:11:02.240:INFO::jetty-6.1-SNAPSHOT
> > 2011-03-18 14:11:02.284:INFO::Started SocketConnector@0.0.0.0:8983
> >
> > Where as before I got a bunch of messages indicating various libraries
> had
> > been loaded. Additionally, when I go to http://localhost/solr/admin/, I
> > get
> > the following message:
> >
> > HTTP ERROR: 404
> >
> > Problem accessing /solr/admin. Reason:
> >
> >    NOT_FOUND
> >
> > What did I do incorrectly?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Brian Lamb
> >

> > On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > What do you mean "you copied the contents...to the right place"? If you
> > > checked out trunk and copied the files into 1.4.1, you have mixed
> source
> > > files between disparate versions. All bets are off.
> > >
> > > Or do you mean jar files? or???
> > >
> > > I'd build the source you checked out (at the Solr level) and use that
> > > rather
> > > than try to mix-n-match.
> > >
> > > BTW, if you're just starting (as in not in production), you may want to
> > > consider
> > > using 3.1, as it's being released even as we speak and has many
> > > improvements
> > > over 1.4. You can get a nightly build from here:
> > > https://builds.apache.org/hudson/view/S-Z/view/Solr/
> > >
> > > Best
> > > Erick

> > > information
> error:

> > > version
> up.

> > incorrectly?

Re: Adding the suggest component

iorixxx
> downloaded a recent version and
> > > there were the following files/folders:
> > >
> > > build.xml
> > > dev-tools
> > > LICENSE.txt
> > > lucene
> > > NOTICE.txt
> > > README.txt
> > > solr
> > >
> > > So I did cp -r solr/* /path/to/solr/stuff/ and
> started solr. I didn't get
> > > any error message but I only got the following
> messages:

How do you start solr? using java -jar start.jar? Did you run 'ant clean example' in the solr folder?

Re: Adding the suggest component

Erick Erickson
OK, I think you're jumping ahead and trying to do
too many things at once.

What did you download? Source? The distro? The error
you posted usually happens for me when I haven't
compiled the "example" target from source. So I'd guess
you don't have the proper targets built. This assumes you
downloaded the source via SVN.

If you downloaded a distro, I'd start by NOT copying anything
anywhere, just go to the example code and start Solr. Make
sure you have what you think you have.

I've seen "interesting" things get cured by removing the entire
directory where your servlet container unpacks war files, but
that's usually in development environments.

When I get in these situations, I usually find it's best to back
up, do one thing at a time and verify that I get the expected
results at each step. It's tedious, but....

Best
Erick

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Ahmet Arslan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> downloaded a recent version and

>> started solr. I didn't get
>> messages:
>
> How do you start solr? using java -jar start.jar? Did you run 'ant clean example' in the solr folder?

Re: Adding the suggest component

Brian Lamb
Thanks everyone for the advice. I checked out a recent version from SVN and
ran:

ant clean example

This worked just fine. However when I went to start the solr server, I get
this error message:

SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading class
'org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler'

It looks like those files are there:

contrib/dataimporthandler/src/main/java/org/apache/solr/handler/dataimport/

But for some reason, they aren't able to be found. Where would I update this
setting and what would I update it to?

Thanks,

Brian Lamb

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> OK, I think you're jumping ahead and trying to do
> too many things at once.
>
> What did you download? Source? The distro? The error
> you posted usually happens for me when I haven't
> compiled the "example" target from source. So I'd guess
> you don't have the proper targets built. This assumes you
> downloaded the source via SVN.
>
> If you downloaded a distro, I'd start by NOT copying anything
> anywhere, just go to the example code and start Solr. Make
> sure you have what you think you have.
>
> I've seen "interesting" things get cured by removing the entire
> directory where your servlet container unpacks war files, but
> that's usually in development environments.
>
> When I get in these situations, I usually find it's best to back
> up, do one thing at a time and verify that I get the expected
> results at each step. It's tedious, but....
>
> Best
> Erick
>

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Ahmet Arslan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> downloaded a recent version and

> >> started solr. I didn't get
> >> messages:
> >
> > How do you start solr? using java -jar start.jar? Did you run 'ant clean
> example' in the solr folder?

Re: Adding the suggest component

Brian Lamb
I found the following in the build.xml file:

<invoke-javadoc destdir="${build.javadoc}">
   <sources>
    <packageset dir="${src}/common" />
    <packageset dir="${src}/solrj" />
    <packageset dir="${src}/java" />
    <packageset dir="${src}/webapp/src" />
    <packageset dir="contrib/dataimporthandler/src/main/java" />
    <packageset dir="contrib/clustering/src/main/java" />
    <packageset dir="contrib/extraction/src/main/java" />
    <packageset dir="contrib/uima/src/main/java" />
    <packageset dir="contrib/analysis-extras/src/java" />
    <group title="Core" packages="org.apache.*" />
    <group title="Common" packages="org.apache.solr.common.*" />
    <group title="SolrJ" packages="org.apache.solr.client.solrj*" />
    <group title="contrib: DataImportHandler"
packages="org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport*" />
    <group title="contrib: Clustering"
packages="org.apache.solr.handler.clustering*" />
    <group title="contrib: Solr Cell"
packages="org.apache.solr.handler.extraction*" />
    <group title="contrib: Solr UIMA" packages="org.apache.solr.uima*" />
  </sources>
</invoke-javadoc>

It looks like the dataimport handler path is correct in there so I don't
understand why it's not being compile.

I ran ant example again today but I'm still getting the same error.

Thanks,

Brian Lamb

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Brian Lamb
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the advice. I checked out a recent version from SVN and
> ran:
>
> ant clean example
>
> This worked just fine. However when I went to start the solr server, I get
> this error message:
>
> SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading class
> 'org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler'
>
> It looks like those files are there:
>
> contrib/dataimporthandler/src/main/java/org/apache/solr/handler/dataimport/
>
> But for some reason, they aren't able to be found. Where would I update
> this setting and what would I update it to?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Lamb
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> OK, I think you're jumping ahead and trying to do
>> too many things at once.
>>
>> What did you download? Source? The distro? The error
>> you posted usually happens for me when I haven't
>> compiled the "example" target from source. So I'd guess
>> you don't have the proper targets built. This assumes you
>> downloaded the source via SVN.
>>
>> If you downloaded a distro, I'd start by NOT copying anything
>> anywhere, just go to the example code and start Solr. Make
>> sure you have what you think you have.
>>
>> I've seen "interesting" things get cured by removing the entire
>> directory where your servlet container unpacks war files, but
>> that's usually in development environments.
>>
>> When I get in these situations, I usually find it's best to back
>> up, do one thing at a time and verify that I get the expected
>> results at each step. It's tedious, but....
>>
>> Best
>> Erick

>> > How do you start solr? using java -jar start.jar? Did you run 'ant clean
>> example' in the solr folder?

Re: Adding the suggest component

iorixxx

> checked out a recent version from SVN and
> ran:
>
> ant clean example
>
> This worked just fine. However when I went to start the
> solr server, I get
> this error message:
>
> SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading
> class
> 'org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler'

run 'ant clean dist' and copy trunk/solr/dist/

apache-solr-dataimporthandler-extras-4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
apache-solr-dataimporthandler-4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

to solrHome/lib directory.

Re: Adding the suggest component

Brian Lamb
Awesome! That fixed that problem. I'm getting another class not found error
but I'll see if I can fix it on my own first.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Ahmet Arslan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

I fixed a few other exceptions it threw when I started the server but I
don't know how to fix this one:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/slf4j/LoggerFactory
at
org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler.<clinit>(DataImportHandler.java:72)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.slf4j.LoggerFactory

I've searched Google but haven't been able to find a reason why this happens
and how to fix it.

Thanks,

Brian Lamb

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Brian Lamb
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Awesome! That fixed that problem. I'm getting another class not found error
> but I'll see if I can fix it on my own first.

You can find slf4j- related jars in \trunk\solr\lib, but this error is weird.

Re: Adding the suggest component

Brian Lamb
That fixed that error as well as the could not initialize Dataimport class
error. Now I'm getting:

org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error Instantiating Request Handler,
org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler is not a
org.apache.solr.request.SolrRequestHandler

I can't find anything on this one. What I've added to the solrconfig.xml
file matches whats in example-DIH so I don't quite understand what the issue
is here. It sounds to me like it is not declared properly somewhere but I'm
not sure where/why.

Here is the relevant portion of my solrconfig.xml file:

<requestHandler name="/dataimport"
class="org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler">
   <lst name="defaults">
     <str name="config">db-data-config.xml</str>
   </lst>
</requestHandler>

Thanks for all the help so far. You all have been great.

Brian Lamb

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Ahmet Arslan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
> > org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler
> > at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
> >
> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/slf4j/LoggerFactory
> > at
> >
> org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler.<clinit>(DataImportHandler.java:72)

> > org.slf4j.LoggerFactory
> > at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
> >

> You can find slf4j- related jars in \trunk\solr\lib, but this error is
> weird.

Re: Adding the suggest component

Brian Lamb
I'm still confused as to why I'm getting this error. To me it reads that the
.java file was declared incorrectly but I shouldn't need to change those
files so where am I doing something incorrectly?

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Brian Lamb
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> That fixed that error as well as the could not initialize Dataimport class
> error. Now I'm getting:
>
> org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error Instantiating Request Handler,
> org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler is not a
> org.apache.solr.request.SolrRequestHandler
>
> I can't find anything on this one. What I've added to the solrconfig.xml
> file matches whats in example-DIH so I don't quite understand what the issue
> is here. It sounds to me like it is not declared properly somewhere but I'm
> not sure where/why.
>
> Here is the relevant portion of my solrconfig.xml file:
>
> <requestHandler name="/dataimport"
> class="org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler">
>    <lst name="defaults">
>      <str name="config">db-data-config.xml</str>
>    </lst>
> </requestHandler>
>
> Thanks for all the help so far. You all have been great.
>
> Brian Lamb
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Ahmet Arslan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
>> > org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler
>> > at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
>> >
>> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/slf4j/LoggerFactory
>> > at
>> >
>> org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler.<clinit>(DataImportHandler.java:72)
>> >
>> > Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>> > org.slf4j.LoggerFactory
>> > at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
>> >

>> You can find slf4j- related jars in \trunk\solr\lib, but this error is
>> weird.

Re: Adding the suggest component

iorixxx
> I'm still confused as to why I'm
> getting this error. To me it reads that the
> .java file was declared incorrectly but I shouldn't need to
> change those
> files so where am I doing something incorrectly?

Brian, I think best thing to do is checkout a new clean copy from subversion and then do things step by step on this clean copy.

Re: Adding the suggest component

Brian Lamb
Thank you for the suggestion. I followed your advice and was able to get a
version up and running. Thanks again for all the help!