Alternative search box for Nutch site

Otis Gospodnetic-2-2
Hello,
(sending this to dev@nutch instead of old nutch-dev@lucene)

source code, javadoc, jira...

Would the community be interested in a patch that adds another search option to
the search box on nutch.apache.org?

I happened to try a few searches from nutch.a.o just now (now: yesterday) and I
got stuff like this:

  Found 189 results in 6.211 seconds. Displaying page 1 of 19, sorted by
  Found 12,808 results in 64.342 seconds. Displaying page 1 of 1,281, sorted by

Note the times.  Ouch!
This makes me think having an alternative option would be a good thing to have.

Assuming people are for this, any suggestions for how the search should function
by default or any specific instructions for how the search box should be
modified would be great!

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Alternative search box for Nutch site

Otis Gospodnetic-2-2
Hello peeps,

We've created a patch for Tika and got some good and constructive feedback (see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-488 ).

Should we follow the same functionality pattern for nutch.apache.org as seen in
TIKA-488?

Thanks,
Otis
----
Sematext :: http://sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - Nutch

> Would the community be  interested in a patch that adds another search option
>
> the search box on  nutch.apache.org?
>
> I happened to try a few searches from nutch.a.o just  now (now: yesterday) and
>
> got stuff like this:
>
>   Found 189  results in 6.211 seconds. Displaying page 1 of 19, sorted by
>   Found  12,808 results in 64.342 seconds. Displaying page 1 of 1,281, sorted
>by
>
> Note the times.  Ouch!
> This makes me think having an  alternative option would be a good thing to
>have.
>
> Assuming people are for  this, any suggestions for how the search should
>function
>
> by default or any  specific instructions for how the search box should be
> modified would be  great!
>
> Thanks,
> Otis

Re: Alternative search box for Nutch site

Andrzej Białecki-2
On 2010-08-30 12:21, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Hello peeps,
>
> We've created a patch for Tika and got some good and constructive feedback (see
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-488 ).
>
> Should we follow the same functionality pattern for nutch.apache.org as seen in
> TIKA-488?

Sure, why not - when preparing the patch let's follow the same
rationales as those in TIKA-488, since they are applicable here too.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><