An Idea to make Hadoop Code setup easy

Raghavendra Vaidya
I have been struggling to setup hadoop code with native libraries on mac
osx .... this gave me an idea to write a utility which can help setup
hadoop development environment either on intellij or eclipse including
local libraries ....

I would appreciate if some of the experienced developers respond to this
thread and add notes on how to setup hadoop development environment I can
start working on an automation utility

Re: An Idea to make Hadoop Code setup easy

Niels Basjes
Hi,

I think you should have a look at these two that both go the docker route
to setting up a development environment:

https://github.com/apache/hbase/tree/master/dev-support/hbase_docker

My suggestion: Do the same trick (i.e. reuse and improve).

Niels Basjes

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Raghavendra Vaidya <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been struggling to setup hadoop code with native libraries on mac
> osx .... this gave me an idea to write a utility which can help setup
> hadoop development environment either on intellij or eclipse including
> local libraries ....
>
> I would appreciate if some of the experienced developers respond to this
> thread and add notes on how to setup hadoop development environment I can
> start working on an automation utility

Niels Basjes

Re: An Idea to make Hadoop Code setup easy

Allen Wittenauer-4

On Dec 20, 2014, at 9:09 AM, Raghavendra Vaidya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been struggling to setup hadoop code with native libraries on mac
> osx .... this gave me an idea to write a utility which can help setup
> hadoop development environment either on intellij or eclipse including
> local libraries ….

        Only recent branches support building the native code on OS X.  Additionally, I doubt you'll be able to build that part of Hadoop from IntelliJ or Eclipse, given they are a) C and C++ and b) driven primarily by cmake….

> I would appreciate if some of the experienced developers respond to this
> thread and add notes on how to setup hadoop development environment I can
> start working on an automation utility

        a) Install XCode via the App Store
        b) Install homebrew
        c) $ brew install cmake openssl protobuf
        d) Add -Pnative to your mvm command line.

        That should pretty much do it.

Re: An Idea to make Hadoop Code setup easy

Devopam Mittra
Please check this out , and let me know what are the issues you are facing.

regards
Dev

Devopam Mittra
Life and Relations are not binary

Re: An Idea to make Hadoop Code setup easy

Devopam Mittra
Silly me, forgot to paste the link :
http://www.slideshare.net/devopam/hadoop-on-osx/
The basics remain the same, only tweaking required will be to accommodate
new features if you are on an upgraded OS version.

Devopam Mittra
Life and Relations are not binary

Re: An Idea to make Hadoop Code setup easy

Raghavendra Vaidya
HEre is the exception I get when I execute maven install -Pnative ...
please note that I have installed Protobuf and openssl using Brew on Mac OSX

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.7:run (make) on project
hadoop-common: An Ant BuildException has occured: exec returned: 1

[ERROR] around Ant part ...<exec
dir="/Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/native"
executable="cmake" failonerror="true">... @ 4:161 in
/Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/antrun/build-main.xml

[ERROR] -> [Help 1]

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute
goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.7:run (make) on project
hadoop-common: An Ant BuildException has occured: exec returned: 1

around Ant part ...<exec
dir="/Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/native"
executable="cmake" failonerror="true">... @ 4:161 in
/Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/antrun/build-main.xml

at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:216)

at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:153)

at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:145)

at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:116)

at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:80)

at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.builder.singlethreaded.SingleThreadedBuilder.build(SingleThreadedBuilder.java:51)

at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:120)

at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:347)

at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:154)

at

at

at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:289)

at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:229)

at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:415)

at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:356)

Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: An Ant
BuildException has occured: exec returned: 1

around Ant part ...<exec
dir="/Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/native"
executable="cmake" failonerror="true">... @ 4:161 in
/Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/antrun/build-main.xml

at org.apache.maven.plugin.antrun.AntRunMojo.execute(AntRunMojo.java:355)

at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:132)

at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:208)

... 19 more

Caused by:
/Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/antrun/build-main.xml:4:
exec returned: 1

at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecTask.runExecute(ExecTask.java:646)

at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecTask.runExec(ExecTask.java:672)

at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecTask.execute(ExecTask.java:498)

at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:291)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor22.invoke(Unknown Source)

at

at
org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:411)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1399)

at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1368)

at org.apache.maven.plugin.antrun.AntRunMojo.execute(AntRunMojo.java:327)

On Sun Dec 21 2014 at 8:27:47 AM Devopam Mittra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Silly me, forgot to paste the link :
> http://www.slideshare.net/devopam/hadoop-on-osx/
> The basics remain the same, only tweaking required will be to accommodate
> new features if you are on an upgraded OS version.
>

> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Devopam Mittra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Please check this out , and let me know what are the issues you are
> facing.
> >
> > regards
> > Dev
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Raghavendra Vaidya <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I have been struggling to setup hadoop code with native libraries on mac
> >> osx .... this gave me an idea to write a utility which can help setup
> >> hadoop development environment either on intellij or eclipse including
> >> local libraries ....
> >>
> >> I would appreciate if some of the experienced developers respond to this
> >> thread and add notes on how to setup hadoop development environment I
> can
> >> start working on an automation utility
> >>

> > --
> > Devopam Mittra
> > Life and Relations are not binary
> >

> --
> Devopam Mittra
> Life and Relations are not binary

Re: An Idea to make Hadoop Code setup easy

Ray Chiang
You might also want to read this blog post for setting up IntelliJ (does
not covering native builds)

http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2014/06/how-to-create-an-intellij-idea-project-for-apache-hadoop/

-Ray

On Dec 20, 2014, at 10:23 PM, Raghavendra Vaidya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HEre is the exception I get when I execute maven install -Pnative ...
> please note that I have installed Protobuf and openssl using Brew on Mac OSX
>
> around Ant part ...<exec
> dir="/Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/native"
> executable="cmake" failonerror="true">... @ 4:161 in
> /Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/antrun/build-main.xml

You also need cmake .

Re: An Idea to make Hadoop Code setup easy

Rich Haase-2
Do you have cmake installed on your machine?  Compiling the native
libraries is done with cmake, so if it¹s missing I would expect to see an
error like this.

Rich Haase | Sr. Software Engineer | Pandora
m 303.887.1146 | [hidden email]

On 12/21/14, 1:23 AM, "Raghavendra Vaidya" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> The basics remain the same, only tweaking required will be to
>>accommodate
>> new features if you are on an upgraded OS version.
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Devopam Mittra <[hidden email]>
>>wrote:
>>
>> > Please check this out , and let me know what are the issues you are
>> facing.
>> >
>> > regards
>> > Dev

>>mac
>>including

>>this
>> can
>> >>

>> > --
>> > Devopam Mittra
>> > Life and Relations are not binary
>> >

>> --
>> Devopam Mittra
>> Life and Relations are not binary

Re: An Idea to make Hadoop Code setup easy

Steve Loughran-3
On 21 December 2014 at 06:23, Raghavendra Vaidya <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.7:run (make) on project
> hadoop-common: An Ant BuildException has occured: exec returned: 1
>
> [ERROR] around Ant part ...<exec
>
> dir="/Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/native"
> executable="cmake" failonerror="true">... @ 4:161 in
>
> /Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/antrun/build-main.xml
>
> [ERROR] -> [Help 1]
>
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute
> goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.7:run (make) on project
> hadoop-common: An Ant BuildException has occured: exec returned: 1
>
> around Ant part ...<exec
>
> dir="/Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/native"
> executable="cmake" failonerror="true">... @ 4:161 in
>
> /Users/302000545/Documents/workspace/Hadoop/hadoop-common/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/antrun/build-main.xml

I'm afraid debugging build problems is a precursor to interpreting stack
traces on failed tests.

Here
-the ant command <exec executable="cmake"> failed with the error number "1".
-this halted the build.

Finding out why cmake failed on your machine is going to be your homework,
I'm afraid.

Most of the time, those of us doing development on OSX boxes don't bother
with the native code —really. If you are doing windows-based development
you must do it, and if you are doing linux dev then you can do it
relatively easily.

My recommendation then: skip the native bits unless you are actually adding
new features to the native libraries.

-steve

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: An Idea to make Hadoop Code setup easy

Raghavendra Vaidya
Cmake is installed. When I enter Cmake at console - it prints out the help
for the command.

On Monday, 22 December 2014, Rich Haase <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >)
> >
> >at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)
> >
> >at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:390)
> >
> >at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:411)
> >
> >at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1399)
> >
> >at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1368)
> >
> >at org.apache.maven.plugin.antrun.AntRunMojo.execute(AntRunMojo.java:327)
> >
> >On Sun Dec 21 2014 at 8:27:47 AM Devopam Mittra <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> >> Silly me, forgot to paste the link :
> >> http://www.slideshare.net/devopam/hadoop-on-osx/
> >> The basics remain the same, only tweaking required will be to
> >>accommodate
> >> new features if you are on an upgraded OS version.
> >>

> >> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Devopam Mittra <[hidden email]

CIO, GE India Technology Center

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: An Idea to make Hadoop Code setup easy

Chris Nauroth
Mac cmake had a bug in the 2.x line that impacted the Hadoop build.  I
forget the details of the bug, but I'm currently building successfully with
cmake 3.0.2 on Mac.  Our BUILDING.txt file documents this requirement:

* CMake 2.6 or newer (if compiling native code), must be 3.0 or newer on Mac

If you're certain that cmake is installed and on the PATH, then I recommend
running cmake --version to check your version and upgrade if necessary.

If that's not the problem, then another possibly helpful debugging step
would be to run the cmake command manually.  Here is the relevant snippet
from the hadoop-common pom.xml.

                    <exec executable="cmake"
dir="${project.build.directory}/native" failonerror="true">
                      <arg line="${basedir}/src/
-DGENERATED_JAVAH=${project.build.directory}/native/javah
-DJVM_ARCH_DATA_MODEL=${sun.arch.data.model}
-DREQUIRE_BZIP2=${require.bzip2} -DREQUIRE_SNAPPY=${require.snappy}
-DCUSTOM_SNAPPY_PREFIX=${snappy.prefix} -DCUSTOM_SNAPPY_LIB=${snappy.lib}
-DCUSTOM_SNAPPY_INCLUDE=${snappy.include}
-DREQUIRE_OPENSSL=${require.openssl}
-DCUSTOM_OPENSSL_PREFIX=${openssl.prefix}
-DCUSTOM_OPENSSL_LIB=${openssl.lib}
-DCUSTOM_OPENSSL_INCLUDE=${openssl.include}
-DEXTRA_LIBHADOOP_RPATH=${extra.libhadoop.rpath}"/>
                    </exec>

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/