An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server

An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server

Shawn Heisey-2
I hope this won't serve to interrupt the momentum for SOLR-3619 and
related work, just perhaps influence the direction.  What I'm going to
relate here probably is no surprise to anyone involved with the effort.

fieldType, incorporate it into the main example on my source code
checkout, and fire up the example so I could poke around on the analysis
tab.

I only had branch_5x, and it was a clean checkout, so I did "svn up"
followed by "ant example" and got to work.  The first thing I discovered
is that there's no longer a conf directory in example/solr/collection1.
I poked around for a bit, found what looked like a likely candidate
config, and modified the schema.xml.  Then I poked around a bit more and
learned that "bin/solr start" was what I need to use to get it running.

I was surprised to see that when Solr started, there were no cores
loaded at all.  Thinking about all the discussions around this topic,
this makes a lot of sense ... but it does make it hard to implement what
I typically use the example for, which is quick tests of small
config/schema changes or user-provided scenarios from IRC or the mailing
list.

I think the README or other documentation should probably cover exactly
what to do if your intent is to use collection1, modify it, and poke around.

Separately, I noticed that there are a lot of java options used to start
the server, including an increase to PermSize.  In all my time using
Solr, I've never had to change that.  Do we have common problems with
the new startup script and solr version that require it?

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server

Mark Miller-3
I'm sure after such a large change there are some things to smooth over.

As far as starting with no cores or collections, I very strongly think that is the way to go.

I've been working with a Solr checkout designed this way for a long time and I tend to just keep a text file of common cmd line entries around, one of which is a simple curl command to create collection1 and the corresponding command to remove it.

Something that might make things a bit easier could also be an alternate developer 'run example' target that could also fire off a create for collection1.

For other cases, I'd think of it like a database example - step one is to create a table named foo, not dive in on the built in table1.

- Mark

On Sun Nov 02 2014 at 4:34:57 PM Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alexandre Rafalovitch
That's interesting. I did not realize we were going away from
ElasticSearch on that.

So, do we need to update the tutorial or some other super-obvious way
of what the next step is? (I haven't checked). Because one difference
between Solr and the Database is that create table is a standard SQL
command used in any database (for the basic use case). Whereas Solr is
a unique snowflake and we cannot expect any pre-existing knowledge
transfer.

Regards,
   Alex.
Personal: http://www.outerthoughts.com/ and @arafalov
Solr resources and newsletter: http://www.solr-start.com/ and @solrstart
Solr popularizers community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=6713853

On 2 November 2014 18:06, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm sure after such a large change there are some things to smooth over.
>
> As far as starting with no cores or collections, I very strongly think that
> is the way to go.
>
> I've been working with a Solr checkout designed this way for a long time and
> I tend to just keep a text file of common cmd line entries around, one of
> which is a simple curl command to create collection1 and the corresponding
> command to remove it.
>
> Something that might make things a bit easier could also be an alternate
> developer 'run example' target that could also fire off a create for
> collection1.
>
> For other cases, I'd think of it like a database example - step one is to
> create a table named foo, not dive in on the built in table1.
>
> - Mark
>
> On Sun Nov 02 2014 at 4:34:57 PM Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I hope this won't serve to interrupt the momentum for SOLR-3619 and
>> related work, just perhaps influence the direction.  What I'm going to
>> relate here probably is no surprise to anyone involved with the effort.

>> fieldType, incorporate it into the main example on my source code
>> checkout, and fire up the example so I could poke around on the analysis
>> tab.
>>
>> I only had branch_5x, and it was a clean checkout, so I did "svn up"
>> followed by "ant example" and got to work.  The first thing I discovered
>> is that there's no longer a conf directory in example/solr/collection1.
>> I poked around for a bit, found what looked like a likely candidate
>> config, and modified the schema.xml.  Then I poked around a bit more and
>> learned that "bin/solr start" was what I need to use to get it running.
>>
>> I was surprised to see that when Solr started, there were no cores
>> loaded at all.  Thinking about all the discussions around this topic,
>> this makes a lot of sense ... but it does make it hard to implement what
>> I typically use the example for, which is quick tests of small
>> config/schema changes or user-provided scenarios from IRC or the mailing
>> list.
>>
>> I think the README or other documentation should probably cover exactly
>> what to do if your intent is to use collection1, modify it, and poke
>> around.
>>
>> Separately, I noticed that there are a lot of java options used to start
>> the server, including an increase to PermSize.  In all my time using
>> Solr, I've never had to change that.  Do we have common problems with
>> the new startup script and solr version that require it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shawn

Re: An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server

Tomás Fernández Löbbe
My understanding is that you can run the examples, but you have to specifically ask for one using the "-e" argument, like:
./solr start -e techproducts

That said, I'm trying it right now and It's failing and giving confusing messages (Errors followed by success):

a82066179bf9:bin tflobbe$ ./solr start -e techproducts
Waiting to see Solr listening on port 8983 [|]  Still not seeing Solr listening on 8983 after 30 seconds!
tail: /Users/tflobbe/Documents/apache/lucene-solr-trunk-commit/solr/server/logs/solr.log: No such file or directory
Creating new core using command:
http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=techproducts&configSet=sample_techproducts_configs

WARN  - 2014-11-02 16:32:24.486; org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI; Request to http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=techproducts&configSet=sample_techproducts_configs failed due to: Connection refused, sleeping for 5 seconds before re-trying the request ...
Exception in thread "main" java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:339)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:200)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
    at org.apache.http.conn.scheme.PlainSocketFactory.connectSocket(PlainSocketFactory.java:117)
    at org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultClientConnectionOperator.openConnection(DefaultClientConnectionOperator.java:178)
    at org.apache.http.impl.conn.ManagedClientConnectionImpl.open(ManagedClientConnectionImpl.java:304)
    at org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultRequestDirector.tryConnect(DefaultRequestDirector.java:610)
    at org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultRequestDirector.execute(DefaultRequestDirector.java:445)
    at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.doExecute(AbstractHttpClient.java:863)
    at org.apache.http.impl.client.CloseableHttpClient.execute(CloseableHttpClient.java:72)
    at org.apache.http.impl.client.CloseableHttpClient.execute(CloseableHttpClient.java:214)
    at org.apache.http.impl.client.CloseableHttpClient.execute(CloseableHttpClient.java:160)
    at org.apache.http.impl.client.CloseableHttpClient.execute(CloseableHttpClient.java:136)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.getJson(SolrCLI.java:460)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.getJson(SolrCLI.java:413)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.getJson(SolrCLI.java:423)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.getJson(SolrCLI.java:399)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI$ApiTool.runTool(SolrCLI.java:692)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.main(SolrCLI.java:185)
Indexing tech product example docs from /Users/tflobbe/Documents/apache/lucene-solr-trunk-commit/solr/example/exampledocs
SimplePostTool version 1.5
Posting files to base url http://localhost:8983/solr/techproducts/update using content-type application/xml..
POSTing file gb18030-example.xml
SimplePostTool: FATAL: Connection error (is Solr running at http://localhost:8983/solr/techproducts/update ?): java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

Solr techproducts example launched successfully. Direct your Web browser to http://localhost:8983/solr to visit the Solr Admin UI

Tomás

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> this makes a lot of sense ... but it does make it hard to implement what
>> I typically use the example for, which is quick tests of small
>> config/schema changes or user-provided scenarios from IRC or the mailing
>> list.
>>
>> I think the README or other documentation should probably cover exactly
>> what to do if your intent is to use collection1, modify it, and poke
>> around.
>>
>> Separately, I noticed that there are a lot of java options used to start
>> the server, including an increase to PermSize.  In all my time using
>> Solr, I've never had to change that.  Do we have common problems with
>> the new startup script and solr version that require it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shawn

Re: An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server

I have to say I like "the new  way" of doing things. I'm sooo
tired of maintaining a bunch of command-line files that copy everything
from example to node1, node2, node3 then starting things up in 4
separate windows (or 6 recently) and... Hmmm, looks kind of similar to
what the new command does all for me...

I'm a little discomfited by having to learn new stuff, but that's "a personal
problem" ;).

I do think we have to be mindful of people who want something like what Shawn
was doing, I do this all the time as well. And of new people who haven't a clue.
Hmmm, actually new folks might have an easier time of it since they don't
have any expectations ;).

bq: "...'run example' target that could also fire off a create for collection1."

Exactly, with a note (perhaps in the help for this command) about where the
config files are located that are used. Perhaps with a 'clean' option that
blows away the current data directory and (if Zookeeper becomes the one
source of truth) does an upconfig first.

For me, the goal here is to be up and running as fast as I could be in the old
way of doing things, i.e.
1> cd to XXXX
2> execute the command YYYY
3> go into exampledocs and type 'java -jar post.jar *.xml"
4> search

The current questions (mine as well) are, as Mark says, that I'd
expect with such
a fundamental change. Now that it's checked in, people will be trying
all sorts of
things and uncovering nooks and crannies.

So let's have an umbrella JIRA that we collect things in and we can
fix what we find
as we go. I'll create one if there isn't one already, let me know.

Erick

On 11/2/2014 5:57 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:

> I'm a little discomfited by having to learn new stuff, but that's "a personal
> problem" ;).
>
> I do think we have to be mindful of people who want something like what Shawn
> was doing, I do this all the time as well. And of new people who haven't a clue.
> Hmmm, actually new folks might have an easier time of it since they don't
> have any expectations ;).
>
> bq: "...'run example' target that could also fire off a create for collection1."
>
> Exactly, with a note (perhaps in the help for this command) about where the
> config files are located that are used. Perhaps with a 'clean' option that
> blows away the current data directory and (if Zookeeper becomes the one
> source of truth) does an upconfig first.

Thanks for all the input on this thread, and for the hard work trying to
make everything easier for a beginner.

I actually do really like the fact that we now start with no cores, it
was just a bit of a shock.  It sounds like it's a relatively
straightforward thing to fire off a CoreAdmin 'curl' command after
startup that will populate an example core, and the conf directory is
probably easy to locate in the download too. I just ask that this
information be added to the immediately available docs (README.txt and
similar).  I did not check the tutorial ... if it's not already there,
it probably should be.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server

Erik Hatcher-4

On Nov 3, 2014, at 12:50 PM, Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/2/2014 5:57 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:
>> I'm a little discomfited by having to learn new stuff, but that's "a personal
>> problem" ;).
>>
>> I do think we have to be mindful of people who want something like what Shawn
>> was doing, I do this all the time as well. And of new people who haven't a clue.
>> Hmmm, actually new folks might have an easier time of it since they don't
>> have any expectations ;).
>>
>> bq: "...'run example' target that could also fire off a create for collection1."
>>
>> Exactly, with a note (perhaps in the help for this command) about where the
>> config files are located that are used. Perhaps with a 'clean' option that
>> blows away the current data directory and (if Zookeeper becomes the one
>> source of truth) does an upconfig first.
>
> Thanks for all the input on this thread, and for the hard work trying to
> make everything easier for a beginner.
>
> I actually do really like the fact that we now start with no cores, it
> was just a bit of a shock.  It sounds like it's a relatively
> straightforward thing to fire off a CoreAdmin 'curl' command after
> startup that will populate an example core, and the conf directory is
> probably easy to locate in the download too. I just ask that this
> information be added to the immediately available docs (README.txt and
> similar).  I did not check the tutorial ... if it's not already there,
> it probably should be.

Or on trunk (and hopefully back ported if we do another 4.10.x release):

$ bin/solr create_core -help

Usage: solr create_core [-n name] [-c configset]

  -n <name>       Name of core to create

  -c <configset>  Name of configuration directory to use, valid options are:
      basic_configs: Minimal Solr configuration
      data_driven_schema_configs: Managed schema with field-guessing support enabled
      sample_techproducts_configs: Example configuration with many optional features enabled to
         demonstrate the full power of Solr
      If not specified, default is: data_driven_schema_configs

Re: An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server

Erick Erickson
OK, I'm playing naive user here and coming up with some notes that
need explication. They may already be somewhere, but....

Anyway, where should we collect these? I'm particularly good at taking
the role of someone easily confused ;)...

Latest thing. Once I create a set of nodes for SolrCloud, how to
bounce one? I spent some time trying to get bin/solr to do it before
realizing that was just setup. Killing the Solr running on that port
then going into node# and starting the jar in the regular way works.

That said, it seems like we should be able to restart a Solr node with
bin/solr and have it pick up where it left off. The scenario is this:

I start a SolrCloud cluster.
I want to test behavior where a node goes down. I do NOT want to
restart, I want to stop, poke around, then start.

bin/solr start -p 7574 -c -z localhost:2181

has the nodes show in the admin UI, but as "down" although not the
gray version. Is there a way I'm missing to start a downed node from
bin/solr and have it pick up where we left off?

Erick

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2014, at 12:50 PM, Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 11/2/2014 5:57 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:
>>> I'm a little discomfited by having to learn new stuff, but that's "a personal
>>> problem" ;).
>>>
>>> I do think we have to be mindful of people who want something like what Shawn
>>> was doing, I do this all the time as well. And of new people who haven't a clue.
>>> Hmmm, actually new folks might have an easier time of it since they don't
>>> have any expectations ;).
>>>
>>> bq: "...'run example' target that could also fire off a create for collection1."
>>>
>>> Exactly, with a note (perhaps in the help for this command) about where the
>>> config files are located that are used. Perhaps with a 'clean' option that
>>> blows away the current data directory and (if Zookeeper becomes the one
>>> source of truth) does an upconfig first.
>>
>> Thanks for all the input on this thread, and for the hard work trying to
>> make everything easier for a beginner.
>>
>> I actually do really like the fact that we now start with no cores, it
>> was just a bit of a shock.  It sounds like it's a relatively
>> straightforward thing to fire off a CoreAdmin 'curl' command after
>> startup that will populate an example core, and the conf directory is
>> probably easy to locate in the download too. I just ask that this
>> information be added to the immediately available docs (README.txt and
>> similar).  I did not check the tutorial ... if it's not already there,
>> it probably should be.
>
> Or on trunk (and hopefully back ported if we do another 4.10.x release):
>
> $ bin/solr create_core -help
>
> Usage: solr create_core [-n name] [-c configset]
>
>   -n <name>       Name of core to create
>
>   -c <configset>  Name of configuration directory to use, valid options are:
>       basic_configs: Minimal Solr configuration
>       data_driven_schema_configs: Managed schema with field-guessing support enabled
>       sample_techproducts_configs: Example configuration with many optional features enabled to
>          demonstrate the full power of Solr
>       If not specified, default is: data_driven_schema_configs

Re: An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server

Yonik Seeley-5
On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I just ask that this
> information be added to the immediately available docs (README.txt and
> similar).

+1

If we look at the old (4.x) README, it shows you how to start the
server, get to the admin screen, and index some documents.

-Yonik
http://heliosearch.org - native code faceting, facet functions,
sub-facets, off-heap data

Re: An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Also a crucial part here is to add a Collection tab in Admin GUI, and a more intelligent Cores tag, so that when people open Admin UI and see "There are no cores", they can create one by a few clicks. We already have a config_sets folder, perhaps the UI could look for that one and offer to create a core/collection based on one of the sets?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 4. nov. 2014 kl. 01.34 skrev Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just ask that this
>> information be added to the immediately available docs (README.txt and
>> similar).
>
> +1
>
> If we look at the old (4.x) README, it shows you how to start the
> server, get to the admin screen, and index some documents.
>
> -Yonik
> http://heliosearch.org - native code faceting, facet functions,
> sub-facets, off-heap data

Re: An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
+1 Yeah, this would be huge.

~ David Smiley
Freelance Apache Lucene/Solr Search Consultant/Developer

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also a crucial part here is to add a Collection tab in Admin GUI, and a more intelligent Cores tag, so that when people open Admin UI and see "There are no cores", they can create one by a few clicks. We already have a config_sets folder, perhaps the UI could look for that one and offer to create a core/collection based on one of the sets?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 4. nov. 2014 kl. 01.34 skrev Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just ask that this
>> information be added to the immediately available docs (README.txt and
>> similar).
>
> +1
>
> If we look at the old (4.x) README, it shows you how to start the
> server, get to the admin screen, and index some documents.
>
> -Yonik
> http://heliosearch.org - native code faceting, facet functions,
> sub-facets, off-heap data

Re: An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server

Erick Erickson
OK, let's start collecting there. Here's an umbrella JIRA:

I know Jan has entered several JIRAs, can we link them here for
tracking purposes?