[Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

[Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

nnagarajayya
Hi!

I am very excited to announce the availability of Solr 3.6 with
RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2.

This NRT supports now works with both RankingAlgorithm and Lucene. The
insert/update performance should be about 5000 docs in about 490 ms with
the MbArtists Index.

RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 has multiple algorithms, improved performance
over the earlier releases, supports the entire Lucene Query Syntax, ±
and/or boolean queries and can scale to more than a billion documents.

You can get more information about NRT performance from here:
http://solr-ra.tgels.org/wiki/en/Near_Real_Time_Search_ver_3.x

You can download Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 from here:
http://solr-ra.tgels.org

Please download and give the new version a try.

Regards,

Nagendra Nagarajayya
http://solr-ra.tgels.org
http://rankingalgorithm.tgels.org

ps. MbArtists index is the example index used in the Solr 1.4 Enterprise
Book

Re: [Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

Darren Govoni
Hi,
  Have you tested this with a billion documents?

Darren

On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 07:24 -0700, Nagendra Nagarajayya wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am very excited to announce the availability of Solr 3.6 with
> RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2.
>
> This NRT supports now works with both RankingAlgorithm and Lucene. The
> insert/update performance should be about 5000 docs in about 490 ms with
> the MbArtists Index.
>
> RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 has multiple algorithms, improved performance
> over the earlier releases, supports the entire Lucene Query Syntax, ±
> and/or boolean queries and can scale to more than a billion documents.
>
> You can get more information about NRT performance from here:
> http://solr-ra.tgels.org/wiki/en/Near_Real_Time_Search_ver_3.x
>
> You can download Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 from here:
> http://solr-ra.tgels.org
>
> Please download and give the new version a try.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nagendra Nagarajayya
> http://solr-ra.tgels.org
> http://rankingalgorithm.tgels.org
>
> ps. MbArtists index is the example index used in the Solr 1.4 Enterprise
> Book

Re: [Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

nnagarajayya
Actually, RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 has been scaled to more than 2 billion
docs. With RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3, using the parameters
age=latest&docs=number feature, you can retrieve the NRT inserted
documents in milliseconds from such a huge index improving query and
faceting performance and using very little resources ...

Currently, RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3 is only available with Solr 4.0, and
the NRT insert performance with Solr 4.0 is about 70,000 docs / sec.
RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3 should become available with Solr 3.6 soon.

On 5/27/2012 7:32 AM, Darren Govoni wrote:

> Hi,
>    Have you tested this with a billion documents?
>
> Darren
>
> On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 07:24 -0700, Nagendra Nagarajayya wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am very excited to announce the availability of Solr 3.6 with
>> RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2.
>>
>> This NRT supports now works with both RankingAlgorithm and Lucene. The
>> insert/update performance should be about 5000 docs in about 490 ms with
>> the MbArtists Index.
>>
>> RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 has multiple algorithms, improved performance
>> over the earlier releases, supports the entire Lucene Query Syntax, ±
>> and/or boolean queries and can scale to more than a billion documents.
>>
>> You can get more information about NRT performance from here:
>> http://solr-ra.tgels.org/wiki/en/Near_Real_Time_Search_ver_3.x
>>
>> You can download Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 from here:
>> http://solr-ra.tgels.org
>>
>> Please download and give the new version a try.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Nagendra Nagarajayya
>> http://solr-ra.tgels.org
>> http://rankingalgorithm.tgels.org
>>
>> ps. MbArtists index is the example index used in the Solr 1.4 Enterprise
>> Book

Re: [Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

Radim Kolar-2
My company is thinking to buy search algorithm from famous expert in
searching Petr Hejl - http://www.milionovastranka.net/
but i see RankingAlgorithm has fantastic results too and looking at its
reference page it even powers sites like oracle.com and ebay.com.

Re: [Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

Yonik Seeley-2-2
On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Radim Kolar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> but i see RankingAlgorithm has fantastic results too and looking at its
> reference page it even powers sites like oracle.com and ebay.com.

What reference page are you referring to?

-Yonik
http://lucidimagination.com

Re: [Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

Radim Kolar-2

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Radim Kolar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What reference page are you referring to?
>
> http://tgels.com/wiki/en/Sites_using/downloaded_RankingAlgorithm_or_Solr-RA

Ah, ok.... "sites using/downloaded"
So someone with a .oracle email / domain checked it out - that
certainly doesn't mean they are in production with it, or even plan to
be.

-Yonik
http://lucidimagination.com

Re: [Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

nnagarajayya
Solr with RankingAlgorithm is free (for test/development/production).
Here is the license page
http://tgels.com/docs/SoftwareLicenseAgreement.txt.

RankingAlgorithm is  also free ( for test/development/production).

Regards,
- NN

On 5/27/2012 8:57 AM, Radim Kolar wrote:
> My company is thinking to buy search algorithm from famous expert in
> searching Petr Hejl - http://www.milionovastranka.net/
> but i see RankingAlgorithm has fantastic results too and looking at
> its reference page it even powers sites like oracle.com and ebay.com.

Re: [Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

project2501
I think people on this list would be more interested in your approach to
scaling 2 billion documents than modifying solr/lucene scoring (which is
already top notch). So given that, can you share any references or
otherwise substantiate good performance with 2 billion documents?

Thanks.

On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 08:29 -0700, Nagendra Nagarajayya wrote:

> Actually, RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 has been scaled to more than 2 billion
> docs. With RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3, using the parameters
> age=latest&docs=number feature, you can retrieve the NRT inserted
> documents in milliseconds from such a huge index improving query and
> faceting performance and using very little resources ...
>
> Currently, RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3 is only available with Solr 4.0, and
> the NRT insert performance with Solr 4.0 is about 70,000 docs / sec.
> RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3 should become available with Solr 3.6 soon.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nagendra Nagarajayya
> http://solr-ra.tgels.org
> http://rankingalgorithm.tgels.org
>

> On 5/27/2012 7:32 AM, Darren Govoni wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    Have you tested this with a billion documents?
> >
> > Darren
> >
> > On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 07:24 -0700, Nagendra Nagarajayya wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I am very excited to announce the availability of Solr 3.6 with
> >> RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2.
> >>
> >> This NRT supports now works with both RankingAlgorithm and Lucene. The
> >> insert/update performance should be about 5000 docs in about 490 ms with
> >> the MbArtists Index.
> >>
> >> RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 has multiple algorithms, improved performance
> >> over the earlier releases, supports the entire Lucene Query Syntax, ±
> >> and/or boolean queries and can scale to more than a billion documents.
> >>
> >> You can get more information about NRT performance from here:
> >> http://solr-ra.tgels.org/wiki/en/Near_Real_Time_Search_ver_3.x
> >>
> >> You can download Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 from here:
> >> http://solr-ra.tgels.org
> >>
> >> Please download and give the new version a try.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Nagendra Nagarajayya
> >> http://solr-ra.tgels.org
> >> http://rankingalgorithm.tgels.org
> >>
> >> ps. MbArtists index is the example index used in the Solr 1.4 Enterprise
> >> Book

Re: [Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

nnagarajayya
Let me see if I can reference the performance with RankingAlgorithm.

On 5/27/2012 10:06 AM, Darren Govoni wrote:

> I think people on this list would be more interested in your approach to
> scaling 2 billion documents than modifying solr/lucene scoring (which is
> already top notch). So given that, can you share any references or
> otherwise substantiate good performance with 2 billion documents?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 08:29 -0700, Nagendra Nagarajayya wrote:
>> Actually, RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 has been scaled to more than 2 billion
>> docs. With RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3, using the parameters
>> age=latest&docs=number feature, you can retrieve the NRT inserted
>> documents in milliseconds from such a huge index improving query and
>> faceting performance and using very little resources ...
>>
>> Currently, RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3 is only available with Solr 4.0, and
>> the NRT insert performance with Solr 4.0 is about 70,000 docs / sec.
>> RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3 should become available with Solr 3.6 soon.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Nagendra Nagarajayya
>> http://solr-ra.tgels.org
>> http://rankingalgorithm.tgels.org
>>

>> On 5/27/2012 7:32 AM, Darren Govoni wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>     Have you tested this with a billion documents?
>>>
>>> Darren

Re: [Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

Li Li
yes, I am also interested in good performance with 2 billion docs. how
many search nodes do you use? what's the average response time and qps
?

another question: where can I find related paper or resources of your
algorithm which explains the algorithm in detail? why it's better than
google site(better than lucene is not very interested because lucene
is not originally designed to provide search function like google)?

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM, Darren Govoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think people on this list would be more interested in your approach to
> scaling 2 billion documents than modifying solr/lucene scoring (which is
> already top notch). So given that, can you share any references or
> otherwise substantiate good performance with 2 billion documents?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 08:29 -0700, Nagendra Nagarajayya wrote:
>> Actually, RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 has been scaled to more than 2 billion
>> docs. With RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3, using the parameters
>> age=latest&docs=number feature, you can retrieve the NRT inserted
>> documents in milliseconds from such a huge index improving query and
>> faceting performance and using very little resources ...
>>
>> Currently, RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3 is only available with Solr 4.0, and
>> the NRT insert performance with Solr 4.0 is about 70,000 docs / sec.
>> RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3 should become available with Solr 3.6 soon.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Nagendra Nagarajayya
>> http://solr-ra.tgels.org
>> http://rankingalgorithm.tgels.org
>>

>> On 5/27/2012 7:32 AM, Darren Govoni wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >    Have you tested this with a billion documents?
>> >
>> > Darren

Re: [Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

nnagarajayya
It is a single node. I am trying to find out if the performance can be
referenced.

Regarding information on Solr with RankingAlgorithm, you can find all
the information here:

http://solr-ra.tgels.org

On RankingAlgorithm:

On 5/27/2012 4:50 PM, Li Li wrote:

> yes, I am also interested in good performance with 2 billion docs. how
> many search nodes do you use? what's the average response time and qps
> ?
>
> another question: where can I find related paper or resources of your
> algorithm which explains the algorithm in detail? why it's better than
> google site(better than lucene is not very interested because lucene
> is not originally designed to provide search function like google)?
>
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM, Darren Govoni<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I think people on this list would be more interested in your approach to
>> scaling 2 billion documents than modifying solr/lucene scoring (which is
>> already top notch). So given that, can you share any references or
>> otherwise substantiate good performance with 2 billion documents?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 08:29 -0700, Nagendra Nagarajayya wrote:
>>> Actually, RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 has been scaled to more than 2 billion
>>> docs. With RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3, using the parameters
>>> age=latest&docs=number feature, you can retrieve the NRT inserted
>>> documents in milliseconds from such a huge index improving query and
>>> faceting performance and using very little resources ...
>>>
>>> Currently, RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3 is only available with Solr 4.0, and
>>> the NRT insert performance with Solr 4.0 is about 70,000 docs / sec.
>>> RankingAlgorithm 1.4.3 should become available with Solr 3.6 soon.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Nagendra Nagarajayya
>>> http://solr-ra.tgels.org
>>> http://rankingalgorithm.tgels.org

Re: [Announce] Solr 3.6 with RankingAlgorithm 1.4.2 - NRT support

project2501
I don't recall anyone being able to get acceptable performance with a
single index that large with solr/lucene. The conventional wisdom is
that parallel searching across cores (or shards in SolrCloud) is the
best way to handle index sizes in the "illions". So its of great
interest how you did.

Anyone else gotten an index(es) with billions of documents to perform
well? I'm greatly interested in how.