ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Erik Hatcher
Anyone proposing a Solr talk to EuroAC '07?  I'm considering it, but
don't want to step on anyones toes.

        Erik

Re: ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Bertrand Delacretaz
On 11/30/06, Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone proposing a Solr talk to EuroAC '07?  I'm considering it, but
> don't want to step on anyones toes....

I'm probably going to propose one, probably something along the lines
of using Solr + Cocoon to index the contents of Subversion
repositories ([1]).  It's fairly basic stuff, but people found it
interesting at the Cocoon GetTogether.

Or a case study and "lessons learned" talk on my current project,
which is also nothing special but would show how to integrate Solr
with existing CMSes.

Or an "introduction to Solr" talk if no one else wants to do it, I
think it's important to have one at the conference.

Or all three, for that matter ;-)

But I think it's cool to coordinate here, so that we don't all suggest
the same talk.

-Bertrand

[1] See the "13-SubversionSolr.pdf" link on
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/GT2006Notes

Re: ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Yonik Seeley-2
On 11/30/06, Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone proposing a Solr talk to EuroAC '07?

Wow, is it that time again already??

> I'm considering it, but don't want to step on anyones toes.

That would be cool!  Go for it!

Re: ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Yonik Seeley-2
Oh, and people should feel free to pilfer anything that might be
useful my last presentation.

> On 11/30/06, Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Anyone proposing a Solr talk to EuroAC '07?
>
> Wow, is it that time again already??
>
> > I'm considering it, but don't want to step on anyones toes.
>
> That would be cool!  Go for it!
>
> -Yonik

Re: ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Chris Hostetter-3

: Anyone proposing a Solr talk to EuroAC '07?  I'm considering it, but
: don't want to step on anyones toes.

I was thinking about it ... but i hadn't thought about it very hard.

Re: ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Bertrand Delacretaz
> ...Oh, and people should feel free to pilfer anything that might be
> useful my last presentation....

Is anyone submitting an "intro to Solr" talk?

I'm planing to submit a case study of my current project (how to graft
Solr on existing CMSes, preparing documents, ajax frontends, etc.),
but I think we should have an introductory talk as well.

-Bertrand

Re: ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Erik Hatcher
I haven't submitted yet, but I'd be happy to submit an intro Solr
preso.  I've got an interesting Solr/Ruby related project I plan to
contribute under client/ruby "real soon now" that I may want to
present instead, or in addition to.

        Erik

On Dec 23, 2006, at 4:40 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On 11/30/06, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ...Oh, and people should feel free to pilfer anything that might be
>> useful my last presentation....
>
> Is anyone submitting an "intro to Solr" talk?
>
> I'm planing to submit a case study of my current project (how to graft
> Solr on existing CMSes, preparing documents, ajax frontends, etc.),
> but I think we should have an introductory talk as well.
>
> -Bertrand

Re: ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Chris Hostetter-3

: > Is anyone submitting an "intro to Solr" talk?

I've been toying with the idea of submitting a proposal to talk about a
case study of using Solr to index isfdb.org and then generate faceted
results of the various content types -- something i haven't acctually
done, but i was thinking that if the abstract got accepted it might
motivate me to acctually do it -- the risk being that if i *don't* finish,
i'm really screwed.

I was also considering submitting an abstract to Give Yonik's intro talk
about, but updated to cover all of the features that have been added in
the past year (highlighting, simple facets, dismax, default params,
configurable response writers)

If you guys have specific case study presentations you want to submit,
then i'd be happy to submit an abstract for the intro talk -- but i
suspect that if there were 3 (or more) Solr proposals submitted, we'd wind
up hurting each others changes (i imagine that in the eyes of a confrence
planer, an up and coming incubation project doesn't seem worthy of more
then 1 confrence slot)

If you guys are game: what might make a killer proposal would be for the
two of you to lead a double length session that's 1/3 intro to Solr, 1/3
case study of Bertrand's Coccoon/Solr/CMS work, and 1/3 case study
of Erik's Solr/Rails stuff.

I imagine that would be a hard proposal for the ApacheCon folks to turn
down -- especially with your names on it :)

: I haven't submitted yet, but I'd be happy to submit an intro Solr
: preso.  I've got an interesting Solr/Ruby related project I plan to
: contribute under client/ruby "real soon now" that I may want to
: present instead, or in addition to.

: > I'm planing to submit a case study of my current project (how to graft
: > Solr on existing CMSes, preparing documents, ajax frontends, etc.),
: > but I think we should have an introductory talk as well.

Re: ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Bertrand Delacretaz

> ...If you guys are game: what might make a killer proposal would be for the
> two of you to lead a double length session that's 1/3 intro to Solr, 1/3
> case study of Bertrand's Coccoon/Solr/CMS work, and 1/3 case study
> of Erik's Solr/Rails stuff...

I like the idea very much, but I'd do that as an additional proposal
to leave planners the choice. How about submitting the things you
mention as individual talks, and submitting an additional "Solr bundle
talk" proposal to group the three in a double-length session?

If this happens, I think we should coordinate our talk outlines before
submitting, to be consistent.

Note that, if we do a double-length talk with three speakers, we might
need to split the speakers' reimbursements between us, as paying the
expenses of three speakers for two slots means extra money for the
conference organizers. I'm ok with that.

-Bertrand

Re: ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Chris Hostetter-3

: Note that, if we do a double-length talk with three speakers, we might

I'm sorry I guess i wasn't clear: I was suggesting that you (Bertrand)
and Erik give the double decker talk.

(and I stay home and play video games)

Re: ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Bertrand Delacretaz

> ...I'm sorry I guess i wasn't clear: I was suggesting that you (Bertrand)
> and Erik give the double decker talk...

Ah ok...I'm ok with that, but you're not planning on coming? As one of
the founders of the project, you deserve to be on stage!

-Bertrand

Re: ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Chris Hostetter-3

: Ah ok...I'm ok with that, but you're not planning on coming? As one of
: the founders of the project, you deserve to be on stage!

"Eh" ... I'm not really concerned with Limelight.  The only reason
I've been considering it was to make sure that Solr was represented
-- but if you and Erik are both submitting proposals, I'm a happy camper,
with that in mind I'd really only consider doing it if you guys weren't
going to have time to do any sort of Solr intro.

(I'm very tall, and I do a lot of PST to EST round trip flights as is ...
my apathy towrds writting an abstract has been largely due to the prospect
of spending double digit hours on a plane each direction for a 3 day trip)

Re: ApacheCon Europe '07 Solr proposals?

Bertrand Delacretaz
> ...if you and Erik are both submitting proposals, I'm a happy camper...

Ok, so I like the double-decker idea, let's wait for Erik's reply about that.

I'd gladly talk about my current project: concrete examples of how to
prepare and inject existing content into Solr, and show an interesting
video player based on a solr metadata backend, using the HTTP/JSON
interface. Or, if Erik wants to talk about more advanced stuff, I
could do the intro talk.

I'll be mostly offline in the next few days, I'll actually work on the
proposal after January 2nd (CFP deadline is Jan.12th).

-Bertrand