Aperture

Grant Ingersoll-2
What do you all make of http://aperture.sourceforge.net/ ?

-Grant

Re: Aperture

Jukka Zitting
Hi,

On 7/2/07, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What do you all make of http://aperture.sourceforge.net/ ?

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that before. Seems like their scope is
broader and more heavy-weight than Tika's, but I wonder if we could
set up some form of cooperation. It'll also be interesting to review
their design.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Aperture

Grant Ingersoll-2
Yes, they have some of the things that are planned for Tika (OSGi,
many extractors based on PDFBox, POI, etc.) plus they have crawlers
for things like Mail sources, etc.  The license is Academic Free
license or something like that.
Some Lucener's are using it, and I have started playing with it
instead of going the Nutch porting route.  I think it will meet my
needs, but I would still prefer an ASF version.  The authors are
pretty responsive, so you may consider talking to them about synergies.

-Grant

On Jul 9, 2007, at 5:50 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 7/2/07, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What do you all make of http://aperture.sourceforge.net/ ?
>
> Interesting, I hadn't noticed that before. Seems like their scope is
> broader and more heavy-weight than Tika's, but I wonder if we could
> set up some form of cooperation. It'll also be interesting to review
> their design.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Re: Aperture

Bertrand Delacretaz-2
On 7/2/07, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...What do you all make of http://aperture.sourceforge.net/ ?.

I've had a quick look at the license [2] and API.

The API is licensed under Lawrence Rosen's Academic Free License (AFL)
[1], which to my non-lawyer's eye looks a lot like the Apache License.

The implementations (crawlers, extractors, etc), however, are licensed
under the Open Software License [3] which is reciprocal and as such,
IIUC, incompatible with the Apache License.

I think the ExtractorExample [4] looks a lot like what we envision for Tika.

I agree with Grant that it'd be a good idea to talk to the Aperture
people - moving their API here (or incubating an Aperture project if
they want to keep the name) might be good?

The implementations could IMHO stay at Sourceforge if they want to
keep the OSL license for that.

WDYT?

-Bertrand

[1] http://www.rosenlaw.com/AFL3.0.htm