Availability during merge

Charlie Jackson
The wiki page for merging solr cores
(http://wiki.apache.org/solr/MergingSolrIndexes) mentions that the cores
being merged cannot be indexed to during the merge. What about the core
being merged *to*? In terms of the example on the wiki page, I'm asking
if core0 can add docs while core1 and core2 are being merged into it.

Thanks,

- Charlie

Re: Availability during merge

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 2:30 AM, Charlie Jackson <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> The wiki page for merging solr cores
> (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/MergingSolrIndexes) mentions that the cores
> being merged cannot be indexed to during the merge. What about the core
> being merged *to*? In terms of the example on the wiki page, I'm asking
> if core0 can add docs while core1 and core2 are being merged into it.

A merge operation acquires the index writer lock, so any add operations sent
during the merge, will wait till the merge completes. So, even though you
can send add/delete commands to core0, they'll wait for the merge to finish.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Availability during merge

Jason Rutherglen
Kind of regrettable, I think we can look at changing this in Lucene.