Benefit of schema

mgkimsal
Is there any benefit to using a fixed schema as opposed to the 'wildcard'
approach demonstrated in the sample schema.xml file?

Michael Kimsal
http://webdevradio.com

Re: Benefit of schema

Erik Hatcher

On Jun 23, 2007, at 1:38 PM, Michael Kimsal wrote:
> Is there any benefit to using a fixed schema as opposed to the
> 'wildcard'
> approach demonstrated in the sample schema.xml file?

It's nice to have known straightforward field names for querying, like:

        title:"web development" AND author:kimsal

With wildcarded fields, you won't end up with such clean field names.

Other than aesthetics and how the client application will interact
with Solr, there really is no difference.

        Erik

Re: Benefit of schema

mgkimsal
I wasn't sure if I was perhaps missing some sort of optimization that may
occur under the hood during querying.  I sort of thought that what you just
wrote may be the case.

Thanks!

Michael Kimsal
http://webdevradio.com

Re: Benefit of schema

Paul Battley
On 23/06/07, Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's nice to have known straightforward field names for querying, like:
>
>         title:"web development" AND author:kimsal
>
> With wildcarded fields, you won't end up with such clean field names.

Actually, you can use clean wildcarded names as long they are all the
same type, e.g.

<dynamicField name="*" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true"
multiValued="true"/>

Paul.