BlendedInfixSuggester wiki errata corrige

BlendedInfixSuggester wiki errata corrige

Alessandro Benedetti
Hi all,
I have been working quite a bit on the BlendedInfixSuggester :
- to fix a bug :  LUCENE-8343
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8343>
- to bring an improvement :  LUCENE-8347
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8347>

I was reviewing the wiki documentation for the BlendedInfixSuggester[1].

This bit is incorrect or at least confusing :

"position_linear
weightFieldValue * (1 - 0.10*position): Matches to the start will be given a
higher score. This is the default.

position_reciprocal
weightFieldValue / (1 + position): *Matches to the end will be given a
higher score*.

exponent
An optional configuration variable for position_reciprocal to control how
fast the score will increase or decrease. Default 2.0."

1) the *position_exponential_reciprocal* blenderType is missing ( it is the
one the "exponent" apply to

2) It is not true that the position_reciprocal gives higher scores to
matches in the end of a suggestion.
All the blenderTypes boost matches at the beginning of the suggestions, the
only difference is how fast the score of such terms decay with the position
:

e.g.

Position Of First match =   *0 |  1  | 2  | 3 |*
Linear                             |1 | 0.9|0.8|0.7
Reciprocal                       |1 | 1/2|1/3|1/4
Exponential Reciprocal     |1 | 1/4|1/8|1/16

I would be grateful if anyone can fix the documentation.

Cheers

[1]
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_3/suggester.html#blendedinfixlookupfactory

-----
---------------
Alessandro Benedetti
Sease Ltd. - www.sease.io
---------------
Alessandro Benedetti
Sease Ltd. - www.sease.io

Re: BlendedInfixSuggester wiki errata corrige

Alessandro Benedetti
Errata corrige to my Errata corrige post :

e.g.

Position Of First match =   *0 |  1  | 2  | 3 |*
Linear                             |1 | 0.9|0.8|0.7
Reciprocal                       |1 | 1/2|1/3|1/4
Exponential Reciprocal     |1 | 1/4|*1/9*|1/16

-----
---------------
Alessandro Benedetti
Sease Ltd. - www.sease.io
---------------
Alessandro Benedetti
Sease Ltd. - www.sease.io

Re: BlendedInfixSuggester wiki errata corrige

Cassandra Targett
Solr's documentation is now integrated with Lucene/Solr source code, so can
be edited by anyone who is willing or able to submit a patch for it. In
your case, you could integrate these edits with the code changes you're
making for the JIRA issues you reference and include them with the patches
you're working on. I would be happy to review your suggested edits as part
of those patches - I can give you feedback on the doc changes while
ignoring the code changes, which in this case I know nothing about.

If I may, could I suggest we not call Solr's official documentation a
"wiki"? It used to be a wiki, 5 years ago, and then we shifted to a wiki
platform without the wiki features, but since last year it's really not a
wiki at all - it's not a collaborative platform and it's not open for
anyone to edit. It's just the documentation, with edits made via commits to
Lucene/Solr source code in the same way as any code change.

- Cassandra

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:06 AM Alessandro Benedetti <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Errata corrige to my Errata corrige post :
>
> e.g.
>
> Position Of First match =   *0 |  1  | 2  | 3 |*
> Linear                             |1 | 0.9|0.8|0.7
> Reciprocal                       |1 | 1/2|1/3|1/4
> Exponential Reciprocal     |1 | 1/4|*1/9*|1/16
>

> -----
> ---------------
> Alessandro Benedetti
> Search Consultant, R&D Software Engineer, Director
> Sease Ltd. - www.sease.io

Re: BlendedInfixSuggester wiki errata corrige

Alessandro Benedetti
Hi Cassandra,
thanks for your reply.
I did the fix in the official documentation as part of the bugfix I am
working on:

LUCENE-8343
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8343>

Any feedback is welcome !