Branch policy question

12

Re: Branch policy question

Steve Loughran-3

> On 24 Mar 2016, at 02:24, Chris Douglas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> CTR is- and always has been- admissible in a branch.
>
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Steve Loughran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Given that only one +1 is needed to merge a non-branch patch, he could in theory convert the entire branch into a single .patch for review. Not that I'd encourage that, just observing that its possible
>
> That might be correct. If the branch is exploring an idea and a single
> patch is sufficient for review, then that's not exploiting a loophole
> but developing in the open. If it's a cynical end-run around the
> community, then the patch will be vetoed and the change reverted. -C

Oh,I concur: but as we allow a single +1 for stuff done on, say, github, we've actually got a higher standard for merging in patches from forks within the ASF repo than there are from outside.

Re: Branch policy question

Chris Douglas
On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 7:08 AM, Steve Loughran <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh,I concur: but as we allow a single +1 for stuff done on, say, github, we've actually got a higher standard for merging in patches from forks within the ASF repo than there are from outside.

The standard is the same. Merging a major feature in a single
patch/pull request is likely to be rolled back. A large github pull
request- like a massive JIRA patch- should usually be broken up into
smaller issues. -C
12