Branding Solr+Lucene

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Branding Solr+Lucene

steve_rowe
Now that Solr and Lucene live in the same space, there has been an on-going debate about what to call the merged entity.

The names being mulled at this point include (variously sized) snippets of both Lucene's and Solr's names, and include LuSolr, Solcene, etc. (my current personal favorites along these lines: Sorlusr :) ).

My guess is that Lucene partisans would like to see Solr just become a product (along with the Lucene java library) of the Lucene project.  Judging from suggestions coming from Solr partisans, though, I don't think this will fly.

So I think an entirely new name is needed for the merged project.  Lucene and Solr would remain the product names of this newly named merged project.

Along these lines, search.apache.org has been brought up a couple of times recently on the #lucene IRC channel.  However (with all due respect to what-happens-on-#lucene-stays-on-#lucene (TM) ), Grant wrote in response to one of these suggestions this morning:

   prob. is "Search" is not a brand
   ASF likes names

So in the spirit of a real name (i.e., an abstract symbol), I propose "Srrrch" (riffing off of "Riot Grrrls" and Solr's penchant for vowel droppings)....  Okay, not really.

I do have one idea, though: thinking about the icons for Lucene (looks to me like the font used on 50's automobile brand logos) and Solr (a sun): car+sun => convertible => "Ragtop".  Fun, short, abstract, apolitical.  Solr's and Lucene's icons could be easily embedded in a Ragtop logo.

Steve


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Ryan McKinley
I'm confused... what is the need for a new name?  The only place where
there is a conflict is in the top level svn tree...

What about something general like:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev
or
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/project

ryan


On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Steven A Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now that Solr and Lucene live in the same space, there has been an on-going debate about what to call the merged entity.
>
> The names being mulled at this point include (variously sized) snippets of both Lucene's and Solr's names, and include LuSolr, Solcene, etc. (my current personal favorites along these lines: Sorlusr :) ).
>
> My guess is that Lucene partisans would like to see Solr just become a product (along with the Lucene java library) of the Lucene project.  Judging from suggestions coming from Solr partisans, though, I don't think this will fly.
>
> So I think an entirely new name is needed for the merged project.  Lucene and Solr would remain the product names of this newly named merged project.
>
> Along these lines, search.apache.org has been brought up a couple of times recently on the #lucene IRC channel.  However (with all due respect to what-happens-on-#lucene-stays-on-#lucene (TM) ), Grant wrote in response to one of these suggestions this morning:
>
>   prob. is "Search" is not a brand
>   ASF likes names
>
> So in the spirit of a real name (i.e., an abstract symbol), I propose "Srrrch" (riffing off of "Riot Grrrls" and Solr's penchant for vowel droppings)....  Okay, not really.
>
> I do have one idea, though: thinking about the icons for Lucene (looks to me like the font used on 50's automobile brand logos) and Solr (a sun): car+sun => convertible => "Ragtop".  Fun, short, abstract, apolitical.  Solr's and Lucene's icons could be easily embedded in a Ragtop logo.
>
> Steve
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Shai Erera
I am confused about the need for a new name. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been decided that Lucene and Solr merge and become ONE thing ... but rather that Lucene can still be released on its own (and thus considered a project on its own) and that when Solr releases, so does Lucene. But Solr is still Solr ... and Lucene is still Lucene ... it's not like we said "from now on Apache has one search solution which is called XYZ", right?

If it's just to resolve SVN issues, I'd be careful about re-branding things. On the other thread someone mentioned executives being involved in the adoption of Lucene/Solr in their products - re-branding is a dangerous thing for these guys, and especially as we're not really changing core things right?

Shai

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm confused... what is the need for a new name?  The only place where
there is a conflict is in the top level svn tree...

What about something general like:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev
or
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/project

ryan


On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Steven A Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now that Solr and Lucene live in the same space, there has been an on-going debate about what to call the merged entity.
>
> The names being mulled at this point include (variously sized) snippets of both Lucene's and Solr's names, and include LuSolr, Solcene, etc. (my current personal favorites along these lines: Sorlusr :) ).
>
> My guess is that Lucene partisans would like to see Solr just become a product (along with the Lucene java library) of the Lucene project.  Judging from suggestions coming from Solr partisans, though, I don't think this will fly.
>
> So I think an entirely new name is needed for the merged project.  Lucene and Solr would remain the product names of this newly named merged project.
>
> Along these lines, search.apache.org has been brought up a couple of times recently on the #lucene IRC channel.  However (with all due respect to what-happens-on-#lucene-stays-on-#lucene (TM) ), Grant wrote in response to one of these suggestions this morning:
>
>   prob. is "Search" is not a brand
>   ASF likes names
>
> So in the spirit of a real name (i.e., an abstract symbol), I propose "Srrrch" (riffing off of "Riot Grrrls" and Solr's penchant for vowel droppings)....  Okay, not really.
>
> I do have one idea, though: thinking about the icons for Lucene (looks to me like the font used on 50's automobile brand logos) and Solr (a sun): car+sun => convertible => "Ragtop".  Fun, short, abstract, apolitical.  Solr's and Lucene's icons could be easily embedded in a Ragtop logo.
>
> Steve
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Yonik Seeley
In reply to this post by Ryan McKinley
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm confused... what is the need for a new name?  The only place where
> there is a conflict is in the top level svn tree...

Agree, no need to re-brand.

> What about something general like:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev
> or
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/project

Hmmm, that one isn't bad.

-Yonik

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Yonik Seeley-2
In reply to this post by Shai Erera
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Shai Erera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge, it
> hasn't been decided that Lucene and Solr merge and become ONE thing

Depends on what the meaning of "thing" is ;-)

We have merged into one development project.  But Lucene and Solr as
separate downloads will remain of course - some people want Java APIs,
some want a server.  And other things it makes sense to keep
relatively separate, like the user lists, documentation, etc.

-Yonik

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Branding Solr+Lucene

Shai Erera
Right. That was exactly my understanding .. I guess instead of "ONE thing" I should have written "single project" ... but I think you get my point.

BTW, this thread happens on java-dev only ...

Shai

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Shai Erera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge, it
> hasn't been decided that Lucene and Solr merge and become ONE thing

Depends on what the meaning of "thing" is ;-)

We have merged into one development project.  But Lucene and Solr as
separate downloads will remain of course - some people want Java APIs,
some want a server.  And other things it makes sense to keep
relatively separate, like the user lists, documentation, etc.

-Yonik

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Branding Solr+Lucene

steve_rowe
In reply to this post by Yonik Seeley
On 03/22/2010 at 2:30 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I'm confused... what is the need for a new name?  The only place where
> > there is a conflict is in the top level svn tree...
>
> Agree, no need to re-brand.

Hmm, I've apparently misunderestimated the name-mooting that's been echoing around lately.

Since "name" can refer to a bunch of partially overlapping things (Apache TLP name; svn directory name; development project name; product name; etc.):

- Lucene will remain the name of the Apache TLP hosting both the Lucene-Java product and the Solr product.

- Solr, while ceasing to refer to a stand-alone development sub-project, will continue to be a product, with no change in its user-facing *product* communications; Solr's downloadable artifacts, the wiki, the website, and the solr-user mailing list will remain as-is.  (The website javadocs will need re-jiggering, though, I'd guess.)

Any disagreement?

Steve


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]