Can we change structure of "add" command?

Can we change structure of "add" command?

Vikas-12
Hi Friends,

I am new to Solr technology. I want to do searching for xml documents. In source distribution examples of solr, we have same structure of XML documents i.e.
<add>
    <doc>
        <field></field>
        <field></field>
    </doc>
</add>

Can we change this structure of posting xml document?
i.e Can we do it like -->

<add>
    <doc>
        <field></field>
        <field></field>
            <student>
                <name>
                    <firstname>....</firstname>
                    <lastname>....</lastname>
                </name>
                <age>....</age>
                <sex>....</sex>
            </student>
    </doc>
</add>

    Actually I have student.xml in above format. I want to do indexing and searching on student database which is in XML files.

With best regards

From
Vikas R. Khengare

Re: Can we change structure of "add" command?

Erik Hatcher
Vika - no, Solr's add-document XML syntax is not flexible in the way
you've described.  Solr fronts a Lucene index.  A Lucene index is
made up of Documents which have Fields.  Fields are a flat structure,
not hierarchical.   The trick to leveraging Solr and Lucene
successfully is in the mapping of the business domain into this flat
structure.

Consider how queries to the system will be made.  You may be fine
just putting all searchable text into a single "text" field in Solr,
for example.  Or you may desire having individually searchable fields.

        Erik