Carrot2 v. 1.0.1. [clustering plugin]

Dawid Weiss

Hi there,

We've been quite busy with putting things together at Carrot2. Version
1.0.1 is out -- it is a stable release with a few tweaks and tunings
that appeared after 1.0. We also have a Web site ;)

http://www.carrot2.org

So... I think it's time for reintegrating that code into Nutch
clustering plugin. If folks still consider it valuable enough to be kept
in the codebase, that is (I realize it is a big plugin).

Summarizing, my questions are:

- Is there still enough interest in maintaining this functionality in
the Nutch codebase? I admit I'm really busy and I don't have enough time
to keep up with Nutch's development. My contributions will be there, but
their frequency might be insufficient to keep the plugin usable at all
times.

- Which Nutch version you want me to work with if there's still interest
-- map-reduce, maintenance line or both?

Dawid

Re: Carrot2 v. 1.0.1. [clustering plugin]

Andrzej Białecki-2
Dawid Weiss wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We've been quite busy with putting things together at Carrot2. Version
> 1.0.1 is out -- it is a stable release with a few tweaks and tunings
> that appeared after 1.0. We also have a Web site ;)
>
> http://www.carrot2.org

Congratulations!

> So... I think it's time for reintegrating that code into Nutch
> clustering plugin. If folks still consider it valuable enough to be
> kept in the codebase, that is (I realize it is a big plugin).

Carrot2 provides a unique functionality, so in this case I think size
doesn't really matter..

> Summarizing, my questions are:
>
> - Is there still enough interest in maintaining this functionality in
> the Nutch codebase? I admit I'm really busy and I don't have enough
> time to keep up with Nutch's development. My contributions will be
> there, but their frequency might be insufficient to keep the plugin
> usable at all times.

Definitely there is interest! If the interfaces in carrot2 don't change
too much, there is not so much work with the adapters, they are quite
simple after all.

> - Which Nutch version you want me to work with if there's still
> interest -- map-reduce, maintenance line or both?

Most efforts go to the mapred version (in trunk/ now). If it's not much
work, or if there are compelling reasons, we try to update the
maintenance branches, but they are diverging more and more from the
trunk ...

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: Carrot2 v. 1.0.1. [clustering plugin]

Dawid Weiss

> Definitely there is interest!

Let's hear all the voices though :)

> If the interfaces in carrot2 don't change
> too much, there is not so much work with the adapters, they are quite
> simple after all.

You are right -- they don't change a lot on Carrot2 side. I was
concerned mostly with the Nutch GUI part, not the interfaces. There
should be some effort going in keeping the clustering search GUI usable
and functional.

> Most efforts go to the mapred version (in trunk/ now). If it's not much
> work, or if there are compelling reasons, we try to update the
> maintenance branches, but they are diverging more and more from the
> trunk ...

Ok, I'll focus on the mapred version then.

D.

Re: Carrot2 v. 1.0.1. [clustering plugin]

Byron Miller-2
I would love to see it continue as a plugin.  I'm
moving to mapreduce myself so i would be interested in
utilizing it there.

thanks for the great work! look forward to trying out
your updates.

feel free to contact me directly if you wish.

-byron