Change in config file (synonym.txt) requires container restart?

Change in config file (synonym.txt) requires container restart?

Sagar Khetkade-2

Hi,

I am using SolrJ client to connect to the Solr 1.3 server and the whole POC (doing a feasibility study ) reside in Tomcat web server. If any change I am making in the synonym.txt file to add the synonym in the file to make it reflect I have to restart the tomcat server. The synonym filter factory that I am using are in both in analyzers for type index and query in schema.xml. Please tell me whether this approach is good or any other way to make the change reflect while searching without restarting of tomcat server.

Thanks and Regards,
Sagar Khetkade
Chose your Life Partner? Join MSN Matrimony FREE
http://in.msn.com/matrimony

Re: Change in config file (synonym.txt) requires container restart?

Mark Miller-3
Sagar Khetkade wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using SolrJ client to connect to the Solr 1.3 server and the whole POC (doing a feasibility study ) reside in Tomcat web server. If any change I am making in the synonym.txt file to add the synonym in the file to make it reflect I have to restart the tomcat server. The synonym filter factory that I am using are in both in analyzers for type index and query in schema.xml. Please tell me whether this approach is good or any other way to make the change reflect while searching without restarting of tomcat server.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Sagar Khetkade
> Chose your Life Partner? Join MSN Matrimony FREE
> http://in.msn.com/matrimony

You can also reload the core.

- Mark

RE: Change in config file (synonym.txt) requires container restart?

Sagar Khetkade-2

But i am using CommonsHttpSolrServer for Solr server configuation as it is accepts the url. So here how can i reload the core.

-Sagar> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 07:55:02 -0500> From: [hidden email]> To: [hidden email]> Subject: Re: Change in config file (synonym.txt) requires container restart?> > Sagar Khetkade wrote:> > Hi,> > > > I am using SolrJ client to connect to the Solr 1.3 server and the whole POC (doing a feasibility study ) reside in Tomcat web server. If any change I am making in the synonym.txt file to add the synonym in the file to make it reflect I have to restart the tomcat server. The synonym filter factory that I am using are in both in analyzers for type index and query in schema.xml. Please tell me whether this approach is good or any other way to make the change reflect while searching without restarting of tomcat server.> > > > Thanks and Regards,> > Sagar Khetkade> > _________________________________________________________________> > Chose your Life Partner? Join MSN Matrimony FREE> > http://in.msn.com/matrimony> > > You can also reload the core.> > - Mark
Chose your Life Partner? Join MSN Matrimony FREE
http://in.msn.com/matrimony

Re: Change in config file (synonym.txt) requires container restart?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
Please note that a core reload will also stop Solr from serving any search
requests in the time it reloads.

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Sagar Khetkade
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> But i am using CommonsHttpSolrServer for Solr server configuation as it is
> accepts the url. So here how can i reload the core.
>
> -Sagar> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 07:55:02 -0500> From: [hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]> Subject: Re: Change in config file
> (synonym.txt) requires container restart?> > Sagar Khetkade wrote:> > Hi,> >
> > > I am using SolrJ client to connect to the Solr 1.3 server and the whole
> POC (doing a feasibility study ) reside in Tomcat web server. If any change
> I am making in the synonym.txt file to add the synonym in the file to make
> it reflect I have to restart the tomcat server. The synonym filter factory
> that I am using are in both in analyzers for type index and query in
> schema.xml. Please tell me whether this approach is good or any other way to
> make the change reflect while searching without restarting of tomcat
> server.> > > > Thanks and Regards,> > Sagar Khetkade> >
> _________________________________________________________________> > Chose
> your Life Partner? Join MSN Matrimony FREE> > http://in.msn.com/matrimony>
> > > You can also reload the core.> > - Mark
> Chose your Life Partner? Join MSN Matrimony FREE
> http://in.msn.com/matrimony

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

RE: Change in config file (synonym.txt) requires container restart?

Plaatje, Patrick
Hi ,

I'm wondering if you could not implement a custom filter which reads the
file realtime (you might even keep the create synonym map in memory for
a predefined time). This then doesn't need a restart of the container.

Best,

Patrick

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> But i am using CommonsHttpSolrServer for Solr server configuation as
> it is accepts the url. So here how can i reload the core.
>
> -Sagar> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 07:55:02 -0500> From:
> -Sagar> [hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]> Subject: Re: Change in config file
> (synonym.txt) requires container restart?> > Sagar Khetkade wrote:> >
> Hi,> >
> > > I am using SolrJ client to connect to the Solr 1.3 server and the
> > > whole
> POC (doing a feasibility study ) reside in Tomcat web server. If any
> change I am making in the synonym.txt file to add the synonym in the
> file to make it reflect I have to restart the tomcat server. The
> synonym filter factory that I am using are in both in analyzers for
> type index and query in schema.xml. Please tell me whether this
> approach is good or any other way to make the change reflect while
> searching without restarting of tomcat server.> > > > Thanks and
> Regards,> > Sagar Khetkade> >
> _________________________________________________________________> >
> Chose your Life Partner? Join MSN Matrimony FREE> >
> http://in.msn.com/matrimony>
> > > You can also reload the core.> > - Mark
> Chose your Life Partner? Join MSN Matrimony FREE
> http://in.msn.com/matrimony

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Change in config file (synonym.txt) requires container restart?

hossman

: Please note that a core reload will also stop Solr from serving any search
: requests in the time it reloads.

That's either not true, or a bug...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin
RELOAD

Load a new core from the same configuration as an existing registered
core. While the "new" core is initalizing, the "old" one will continue to
accept requests. Once it has finished, all new request will go to the
"new" core, and the "old" core will be unloaded.

Re: Change in config file (synonym.txt) requires container restart?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
Ah right, it swaps out the old core with the new one. Really sorry for the
confusion.

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Chris Hostetter
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> : Please note that a core reload will also stop Solr from serving any
> search
> : requests in the time it reloads.
>
> That's either not true, or a bug...
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin
> RELOAD
>
> Load a new core from the same configuration as an existing registered
> core. While the "new" core is initalizing, the "old" one will continue to
> accept requests. Once it has finished, all new request will go to the
> "new" core, and the "old" core will be unloaded.
>

> -Hoss

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.