Change solr/lucene Readme file format

Man with No Name
Hey folks,
I have been looking into the solr/lucene source code, and the first thing caught my eye was the different Readme files. All the files had different file and text format. What do you guys think about making all the readmes to markdown file rather than text files, and a standard template?

Regards:
Pinkesh Sharma

Re: Change solr/lucene Readme file format

Erick Erickson
Personally I’d make them text files. The last thing I want to do is make reading/updating these have a barrier to entry. We should save formatting for the ref guide and/or Wiki.

Best,
Erick

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 1:01 AM, Man with No Name <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey folks,
> I have been looking into the solr/lucene source code, and the first thing caught my eye was the different Readme files. All the files had different file and text format. What do you guys think about making all the readmes to markdown file rather than text files, and a standard template?
>

> --
> Regards:
> Pinkesh Sharma

Re: Change solr/lucene Readme file format

Marcus Eagan
Most README files in contemporary open source projects are Markdown because of the formatting features. I personally favor convention over ease of use in this case.

Marcus Eagan

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019, 8:58 AM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Personally I’d make them text files. The last thing I want to do is make reading/updating these have a barrier to entry. We should save formatting for the ref guide and/or Wiki.

Best,
Erick

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 1:01 AM, Man with No Name <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey folks,
> I have been looking into the solr/lucene source code, and the first thing caught my eye was the different Readme files. All the files had different file and text format. What do you guys think about making all the readmes to markdown file rather than text files, and a standard template?
>

> --
> Regards:
> Pinkesh Sharma

Re: Change solr/lucene Readme file format

Uwe Schindler
Hi,

When building the documentation (ant documentation), all readme files included in the documentation are parsed as markdown (see flexmark task in ant) and converted to html. This works well, although not everything is markdown. If you have a plain readme file it would still parse as valid markdown and HTML output looks fine, so Erik's problem with markdown isn't one.

Uwe

Am November 10, 2019 4:00:21 PM UTC schrieb Marcus Eagan <[hidden email]>:
Most README files in contemporary open source projects are Markdown because of the formatting features. I personally favor convention over ease of use in this case.

Marcus Eagan

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019, 8:58 AM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Personally I’d make them text files. The last thing I want to do is make reading/updating these have a barrier to entry. We should save formatting for the ref guide and/or Wiki.

Best,
Erick

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 1:01 AM, Man with No Name <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey folks,
> I have been looking into the solr/lucene source code, and the first thing caught my eye was the different Readme files. All the files had different file and text format. What do you guys think about making all the readmes to markdown file rather than text files, and a standard template?
>

> --
> Regards:
> Pinkesh Sharma

Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, 28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Change solr/lucene Readme file format

Man with No Name
Hey guys,
I have created a PR on this, please have a look to see if that's helpful.

Thanks:
Pinkesh Sharma

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:29 AM Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

When building the documentation (ant documentation), all readme files included in the documentation are parsed as markdown (see flexmark task in ant) and converted to html. This works well, although not everything is markdown. If you have a plain readme file it would still parse as valid markdown and HTML output looks fine, so Erik's problem with markdown isn't one.

Uwe

Am November 10, 2019 4:00:21 PM UTC schrieb Marcus Eagan <[hidden email]>:
Most README files in contemporary open source projects are Markdown because of the formatting features. I personally favor convention over ease of use in this case.

Marcus Eagan

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019, 8:58 AM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Personally I’d make them text files. The last thing I want to do is make reading/updating these have a barrier to entry. We should save formatting for the ref guide and/or Wiki.

Best,
Erick

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 1:01 AM, Man with No Name <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey folks,
> I have been looking into the solr/lucene source code, and the first thing caught my eye was the different Readme files. All the files had different file and text format. What do you guys think about making all the readmes to markdown file rather than text files, and a standard template?
>

> --
> Regards:
> Pinkesh Sharma

Uwe Schindler