Clarification on LUCENE 4795 discussions ( Add FacetsCollector based on SortedSetDocValues )

Clarification on LUCENE 4795 discussions ( Add FacetsCollector based on SortedSetDocValues )

Kumaran Ramasubramanian

​Hi All,​

​i want to know the list of features ​which can be used by applications
using facet module of lucene.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4795?focusedCommentId=13599687

I ask because it seems that the only thing that we get from this SortedSet
> approach is not having to maintain a sidecar index (which for some reason
> freaks everybody), and we even lose performance. Plus, I don't see how we
> can support other facet features with it.

on the other hand SortedSet doesn't have these problems. maybe it doesnt
> support weighted facets or other features, but its a nice option. I
> personally don't think its the end of the world if Mike's patch doesnt
> support all the features of the faceting module initially or even ever.

what
​ ​is meant by
weighted facets
​? what are ​
othe
​r
 facets​
features ?

​--
Kumaran R

Re: Clarification on LUCENE 4795 discussions ( Add FacetsCollector based on SortedSetDocValues )

Michael McCandless-2
Weighted facets is the ability to associate a float value with each
facet label you index, and at search time to aggregate those floats.
See e.g. FloatAssociationFacetField.

"other features" refers to hierarchical facets, which
SortedSetDocValuesFacetField does not support (just flat facets)
though this is possible to fix, I think (patches welcome!).

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Kumaran Ramasubramanian
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> i want to know the list of features which can be used by applications
> using facet module of lucene.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4795?focusedCommentId=13599687
>
> I ask because it seems that the only thing that we get from this SortedSet
>> approach is not having to maintain a sidecar index (which for some reason
>> freaks everybody), and we even lose performance. Plus, I don't see how we
>> can support other facet features with it.
>

> on the other hand SortedSet doesn't have these problems. maybe it doesnt
>> support weighted facets or other features, but its a nice option. I
>> personally don't think its the end of the world if Mike's patch doesnt
>> support all the features of the faceting module initially or even ever.
>

> what
> is meant by
> weighted facets
> ? what are
> othe
>  facets
> features ?
>

> --
> Kumaran R

Re: Clarification on LUCENE 4795 discussions ( Add FacetsCollector based on SortedSetDocValues )

Kumaran Ramasubramanian
Hi mike,

Thanks for the clarification. Any example about difference in using flat vs
hierarchical facets? Any demo or sample page?

In a previous thread yesterday ( Faceting: Taxonomy index Vs
SortedSetDocValues ), there is a point like

"tried to achieve multilevel (hierarchical) categorization using
SortedSetDocValues and got it simply by changing the query  and opening the
IndexReader for each level of query using SortedSetDocValuesReaderState. "

Is it possible easily?

-
Kumaran R

On Sep 27, 2016 9:38 AM, "Michael McCandless" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Weighted facets is the ability to associate a float value with each
> facet label you index, and at search time to aggregate those floats.
> See e.g. FloatAssociationFacetField.
>
> "other features" refers to hierarchical facets, which
> SortedSetDocValuesFacetField does not support (just flat facets)
> though this is possible to fix, I think (patches welcome!).
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Kumaran Ramasubramanian
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Hi All,
> >
> > i want to know the list of features which can be used by applications
> > using facet module of lucene.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4795?focusedCommentId=13599687

> > I ask because it seems that the only thing that we get from this
SortedSet
> >> approach is not having to maintain a sidecar index (which for some
reason
> >> freaks everybody), and we even lose performance. Plus, I don't see how
we

> >> can support other facet features with it.
> >

> > on the other hand SortedSet doesn't have these problems. maybe it doesnt
> >> support weighted facets or other features, but its a nice option. I
> >> personally don't think its the end of the world if Mike's patch doesnt
> >> support all the features of the faceting module initially or even ever.
> >

> > what
> > is meant by
> > weighted facets
> > ? what are
> > othe
> >  facets
> > features ?

> > Kumaran R

Re: Clarification on LUCENE 4795 discussions ( Add FacetsCollector based on SortedSetDocValues )

Shai Erera
Hey,

Here's a blog I wrote a couple years ago about using facet associations:
http://shaierera.blogspot.com/2013/01/facet-associations.html. Note that
the examples in the blog were written against a very old Lucene version
(4.7 maybe). We have a couple of demo files that are maintained with the
code changes here
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucene-solr.git;a=tree;f=lucene/demo/src/java/org/apache/lucene/demo/facet;h=41085e3aaa1d4d0697a5ef5d9853a093c1600ca6;hb=HEAD.
Check them out, especially this one:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucene-solr.git;a=blob;f=lucene/demo/src/java/org/apache/lucene/demo/facet/AssociationsFacetsExample.java;h=3e2737d0c8f02d12e4fdb76f97891c8593ef5fbc;hb=HEAD

Hope this helps!

Shai

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 7:20 AM Kumaran Ramasubramanian <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi mike,
>
> Thanks for the clarification. Any example about difference in using flat vs
> hierarchical facets? Any demo or sample page?
>
> In a previous thread yesterday ( Faceting: Taxonomy index Vs
> SortedSetDocValues ), there is a point like
>
> "tried to achieve multilevel (hierarchical) categorization using
> SortedSetDocValues and got it simply by changing the query  and opening the
> IndexReader for each level of query using SortedSetDocValuesReaderState. "
>
> Is it possible easily?
>
> -
> Kumaran R
>
> On Sep 27, 2016 9:38 AM, "Michael McCandless" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Weighted facets is the ability to associate a float value with each
> > facet label you index, and at search time to aggregate those floats.
> > See e.g. FloatAssociationFacetField.
> >
> > "other features" refers to hierarchical facets, which
> > SortedSetDocValuesFacetField does not support (just flat facets)
> > though this is possible to fix, I think (patches welcome!).
> >
> > Mike McCandless
> >
> > http://blog.mikemccandless.com
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Kumaran Ramasubramanian
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > i want to know the list of features which can be used by applications
> > > using facet module of lucene.
> > >

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4795?focusedCommentId=13599687
> > >
> > > I ask because it seems that the only thing that we get from this
> SortedSet
> reason
> we
> > >

> > > on the other hand SortedSet doesn't have these problems. maybe it
> doesnt
> ever.
> > >

> > > what
> > > is meant by
> > > weighted facets
> > > ? what are
> > > othe
> > >  facets
> > > features ?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Kumaran R

Re: Clarification on LUCENE 4795 discussions ( Add FacetsCollector based on SortedSetDocValues )

Kumaran Ramasubramanian
Thank you shai. Will check them and let you know for clarifications.

-
Kumaran R

.