Classifieds rotation - weighting Lucene results by previous show frequency?

Classifieds rotation - weighting Lucene results by previous show frequency?

Chun Wei Ho
We are starting to run a small index of classifieds alongside our main
search items. The classifieds are also in a lucene index. We show
classifieds that match the user's search criteria, which means we do a
lucene search on that index and show the top few results. We also keep
track of the number of times each classified is shown.

However, we would like to start some form of classified rotation by
weighting the results (weight down if that particular classified has
been shown regularly in the past day, for example). The classified
show statistics are stored in a database.

Does anyone here have any experience doing this that they can share,
or some idea as to how this can be best implemented with lucene?
Thanks in advance :)

Re: Classifieds rotation - weighting Lucene results by previous show frequency?

Doron Cohen
If the 'small classifieds index' is sufficiently small to be re-indexed
every night, I think this would be a simple solution - just set the
document boosts according to these statistics - i.e. boost more down docs
of classifieds that were shown more yesterday -
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/document/Document.html#setBoost(float)

- Doron

"Chun Wei Ho" <[hidden email]> wrote on 07/08/2006 19:01:05:

> We are starting to run a small index of classifieds alongside our main
> search items. The classifieds are also in a lucene index. We show
> classifieds that match the user's search criteria, which means we do a
> lucene search on that index and show the top few results. We also keep
> track of the number of times each classified is shown.
>
> However, we would like to start some form of classified rotation by
> weighting the results (weight down if that particular classified has
> been shown regularly in the past day, for example). The classified
> show statistics are stored in a database.
>
> Does anyone here have any experience doing this that they can share,
> or some idea as to how this can be best implemented with lucene?
> Thanks in advance :)

Re: Classifieds rotation - weighting Lucene results by previous show frequency?

Grant Ingersoll
You could also write a custom sorter that does this, I think.

-Grant

On Aug 7, 2006, at 10:24 PM, Doron Cohen wrote:

> If the 'small classifieds index' is sufficiently small to be re-
> indexed
> every night, I think this would be a simple solution - just set the
> document boosts according to these statistics - i.e. boost more
> down docs
> of classifieds that were shown more yesterday -
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/document/
> Document.html#setBoost(float)
>
> - Doron
>
> "Chun Wei Ho" <[hidden email]> wrote on 07/08/2006 19:01:05:
>
>> We are starting to run a small index of classifieds alongside our
>> main
>> search items. The classifieds are also in a lucene index. We show
>> classifieds that match the user's search criteria, which means we
>> do a
>> lucene search on that index and show the top few results. We also
>> keep
>> track of the number of times each classified is shown.
>>
>> However, we would like to start some form of classified rotation by
>> weighting the results (weight down if that particular classified has
>> been shown regularly in the past day, for example). The classified
>> show statistics are stored in a database.
>>
>> Does anyone here have any experience doing this that they can share,
>> or some idea as to how this can be best implemented with lucene?
>> Thanks in advance :)

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
Sr. Software Engineer