Commiting index while time-consuming query is running

Commiting index while time-consuming query is running

wojtekpia
Once in a while my Solr instance receives a query that takes a really long time to execute (several minutes or more). What will happen if I update my index (and commit) while one of these really long queries is executing? Will Solr wait for the query to complete before it commits my update?

(on a side note, I'm re-working my UI to eliminate these queries)

Thanks!

RE: Commiting index while time-consuming query is running

Feak, Todd
I believe that when you commit, a new IndexReader is created, which is
warmed, etc. New incoming queries will be sent to this new IndexReader.
Once all previously existing queries have been answered, the old
IndexReader will shut down.

The commit doesn't wait for the query to finish, but it shouldn't impact
the results of that query either. What may be impacted is overall system
performance while you have 2 IndexReaders in play. There will always be
some amount of overlap, but it may be drawn out by the long query.

-Todd Feak