Compass vs Solr

Harini-2
 Hi Everyone,

We have a web application with search functionality built using lucene. The
search is across different types of data, so it does not scale well from the
database. As lucene does not allow to store relational data, we decided to
try out Compass since it provides a object relation mapping to the lucene

We have got good results with compass when compared to the database search.
But before we migrate the all the other search workflows to use compass, we
are trying to evaluate Solr. We will need to scale our application as our
data is increasing by the day.

Can anyone suggest which one would perform/scale well Compass or Solr?

OR

Has anyone tried to use a combination of Compass & Solr?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Harini

Re: Compass vs Solr

Otis Gospodnetic-2
If your question is about scaling only, I'd put my money on Solr when compared to Compass+Lucene if you are looking at the OO(T?)B offering.  Check the Solr Wiki for Master/Slave information.  If you go with Compass+Lucene, you'll need to do implement something like that yourself.

Otis
--
Lucene Consulting -- http://lucene-consulting.com

Re: Compass vs Solr

Ryan McKinley
compass is nice: you install it and it just works.  I was totally
impressed.

> Can anyone suggest which one would perform/scale well Compass or Solr?

It depends on what your app looks like.  If you need to update the index
from multiple computers at the same time (load balancing) - solr is the
much better approach.

If you can write your index all at once and it does not need to be
updated from *multiple* sources - you are fine with either approach.

If you don't need fine control of how fields are indexed, compass is
fine.  Solr lets you configure things like stopwords, synonyms, soundex,
spellchecking.

You can't search across multiple types in a single query.

With solr you will need to explicitly write the Object -> Document
conversion.  It does not have the nice annotated class helper (yet)

> Has anyone tried to use a combination of Compass & Solr?

I am using a hibernate event watcher to automatically store stuff to
solr when an object is changed.

http://solrstuff.org/svn/solrj-hibernate/src/org/apache/solr/client/solrj/hibernate/SolrSync.java

The code is dependent on an old version of SOLR-20.  I'll update it
later this week after SOLR-20 gets added to the official solr.