[DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

12

[DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Mike Drob-3
Devs,

I know that we had 8.5.1 only a few weeks ago, but with the fix for LUCENE-9350 I think we should consider another bug-fix. I know that without it I will be explicitly recommending several users to stay off of 8.5.x on their upgrade plans. There are some pretty scary looking charts on SOLR-14428 that describe the impact of the bug in more detail.

I'd be happy to volunteer as RM for this, would probably be looking at trying to get it a vote started sometime next week.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Anshum Gupta
Thanks for doing this, Mike.
+1 to the 8.5.2 release.

Anshum Gupta

Anshum Gupta

Anshum Gupta

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
+1

I’ll backport the small Admin UI fix in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14411

8. mai 2020 kl. 00:10 skrev Tomás Fernández Löbbe <[hidden email]>:

+1. Thanks Mike

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 2:55 PM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

Le jeu. 7 mai 2020 à 19:13, Mike Drob <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Devs,

I know that we had 8.5.1 only a few weeks ago, but with the fix for LUCENE-9350 I think we should consider another bug-fix. I know that without it I will be explicitly recommending several users to stay off of 8.5.x on their upgrade plans. There are some pretty scary looking charts on SOLR-14428 that describe the impact of the bug in more detail.

I'd be happy to volunteer as RM for this, would probably be looking at trying to get it a vote started sometime next week.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Mike Drob-3
While back porting LUCENE-9350, I ran into needing LUCENE-9349[1] which introduces a small API change to QueryVisitor. Do we think this is acceptable in a bug fix release, or do I need to figure out how to back port the changes without it?

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9349

On 2020/05/07 18:30:53, Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, thanks for volunteering Mike
>
> > On 7 May 2020, at 19:03, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for doing this, Mike.
> > +1 to the 8.5.2 release.
> >
> > On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:13 AM Mike Drob <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> > Devs,
> >
> > I know that we had 8.5.1 only a few weeks ago, but with the fix for LUCENE-9350 I think we should consider another bug-fix. I know that without it I will be explicitly recommending several users to stay off of 8.5.x on their upgrade plans. There are some pretty scary looking charts on SOLR-14428 that describe the impact of the bug in more detail.
> >
> > I'd be happy to volunteer as RM for this, would probably be looking at trying to get it a vote started sometime next week.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >

> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14428 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14428>
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9350 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9350>

> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >

> > --
> > Anshum Gupta

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Adrien Grand
I just reenabled 8.5 builds on the ASF's Jenkins.

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 5:18 PM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
While back porting LUCENE-9350, I ran into needing LUCENE-9349[1] which introduces a small API change to QueryVisitor. Do we think this is acceptable in a bug fix release, or do I need to figure out how to back port the changes without it?

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9349

On 2020/05/07 18:30:53, Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1, thanks for volunteering Mike
>
> > On 7 May 2020, at 19:03, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for doing this, Mike.
> > +1 to the 8.5.2 release.
> >
> > On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:13 AM Mike Drob <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> > Devs,
> >
> > I know that we had 8.5.1 only a few weeks ago, but with the fix for LUCENE-9350 I think we should consider another bug-fix. I know that without it I will be explicitly recommending several users to stay off of 8.5.x on their upgrade plans. There are some pretty scary looking charts on SOLR-14428 that describe the impact of the bug in more detail.
> >
> > I'd be happy to volunteer as RM for this, would probably be looking at trying to get it a vote started sometime next week.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >

> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14428 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14428>
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9350 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9350>

> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >

> > --
> > Anshum Gupta

Adrien

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Adrien Grand
I'd rather not change signatures on a patch release. Are there ways we could have the bug fix on 8.5 without backporting this API change?

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 5:18 PM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
While back porting LUCENE-9350, I ran into needing LUCENE-9349[1] which introduces a small API change to QueryVisitor. Do we think this is acceptable in a bug fix release, or do I need to figure out how to back port the changes without it?

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9349

On 2020/05/07 18:30:53, Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1, thanks for volunteering Mike
>
> > On 7 May 2020, at 19:03, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for doing this, Mike.
> > +1 to the 8.5.2 release.
> >
> > On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:13 AM Mike Drob <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> > Devs,
> >
> > I know that we had 8.5.1 only a few weeks ago, but with the fix for LUCENE-9350 I think we should consider another bug-fix. I know that without it I will be explicitly recommending several users to stay off of 8.5.x on their upgrade plans. There are some pretty scary looking charts on SOLR-14428 that describe the impact of the bug in more detail.
> >
> > I'd be happy to volunteer as RM for this, would probably be looking at trying to get it a vote started sometime next week.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >

> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14428 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14428>
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9350 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9350>

> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >

> > --
> > Anshum Gupta

Adrien

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Mike Drob-3
Alan and I worked out how to do this on the PR, and the change was made without affecting the API signatures.

I am now working on cutting the bugfix release, it doesn't look like there are any more pending issues to backport. Please follow the usual conventions if you need to backport to this branch including giving a notification here.

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 7:07 AM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd rather not change signatures on a patch release. Are there ways we could have the bug fix on 8.5 without backporting this API change?

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 5:18 PM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
While back porting LUCENE-9350, I ran into needing LUCENE-9349[1] which introduces a small API change to QueryVisitor. Do we think this is acceptable in a bug fix release, or do I need to figure out how to back port the changes without it?

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9349

On 2020/05/07 18:30:53, Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1, thanks for volunteering Mike
>
> > On 7 May 2020, at 19:03, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for doing this, Mike.
> > +1 to the 8.5.2 release.
> >
> > On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:13 AM Mike Drob <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> > Devs,
> >
> > I know that we had 8.5.1 only a few weeks ago, but with the fix for LUCENE-9350 I think we should consider another bug-fix. I know that without it I will be explicitly recommending several users to stay off of 8.5.x on their upgrade plans. There are some pretty scary looking charts on SOLR-14428 that describe the impact of the bug in more detail.
> >
> > I'd be happy to volunteer as RM for this, would probably be looking at trying to get it a vote started sometime next week.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >

> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14428 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14428>
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9350 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9350>

> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >

> > --
> > Anshum Gupta

Adrien

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Mike, I merged latest changes to releaseWizard to branch_8_5 as well. So you’ll be first to test the new instructions for updating the web site. So please be prepared for discovering quirks in that part of the releaseWizard.

Jan

> 7. mai 2020 kl. 19:13 skrev Mike Drob <[hidden email]>:
>
> Devs,
>
> I know that we had 8.5.1 only a few weeks ago, but with the fix for LUCENE-9350 I think we should consider another bug-fix. I know that without it I will be explicitly recommending several users to stay off of 8.5.x on their upgrade plans. There are some pretty scary looking charts on SOLR-14428 that describe the impact of the bug in more detail.
>
> I'd be happy to volunteer as RM for this, would probably be looking at trying to get it a vote started sometime next week.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Mike Drob-2
Thanks. I’ve found one small change for the release script so far, I plan to batch all my notes together and commit them at the end of the process.

Right now I think I’m waiting on a few final steps from 7.7.3 to complete and then we’ll be ready to roll with 8.5.2

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 4:59 PM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mike, I merged latest changes to releaseWizard to branch_8_5 as well. So you’ll be first to test the new instructions for updating the web site. So please be prepared for discovering quirks in that part of the releaseWizard.

Jan

> 7. mai 2020 kl. 19:13 skrev Mike Drob <[hidden email]>:
>
> Devs,
>
> I know that we had 8.5.1 only a few weeks ago, but with the fix for LUCENE-9350 I think we should consider another bug-fix. I know that without it I will be explicitly recommending several users to stay off of 8.5.x on their upgrade plans. There are some pretty scary looking charts on SOLR-14428 that describe the impact of the bug in more detail.
>
> I'd be happy to volunteer as RM for this, would probably be looking at trying to get it a vote started sometime next week.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
I'll fix them today

On Thu, May 14, 2020, 9:19 AM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I’ve found one small change for the release script so far, I plan to batch all my notes together and commit them at the end of the process.

Right now I think I’m waiting on a few final steps from 7.7.3 to complete and then we’ll be ready to roll with 8.5.2

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 4:59 PM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mike, I merged latest changes to releaseWizard to branch_8_5 as well. So you’ll be first to test the new instructions for updating the web site. So please be prepared for discovering quirks in that part of the releaseWizard.

Jan

> 7. mai 2020 kl. 19:13 skrev Mike Drob <[hidden email]>:
>
> Devs,
>
> I know that we had 8.5.1 only a few weeks ago, but with the fix for LUCENE-9350 I think we should consider another bug-fix. I know that without it I will be explicitly recommending several users to stay off of 8.5.x on their upgrade plans. There are some pretty scary looking charts on SOLR-14428 that describe the impact of the bug in more detail.
>
> I'd be happy to volunteer as RM for this, would probably be looking at trying to get it a vote started sometime next week.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
I just finished all the steps given in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseTodo

Please let me know if anything is missing.
I still don't see the solr release details in https://lucene.apache.org/

How do i do it?

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll fix them today
>
> On Thu, May 14, 2020, 9:19 AM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks. I’ve found one small change for the release script so far, I plan to batch all my notes together and commit them at the end of the process.
>>
>> Right now I think I’m waiting on a few final steps from 7.7.3 to complete and then we’ll be ready to roll with 8.5.2
>>
>> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 4:59 PM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mike, I merged latest changes to releaseWizard to branch_8_5 as well. So you’ll be first to test the new instructions for updating the web site. So please be prepared for discovering quirks in that part of the releaseWizard.
>>>
>>> Jan

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Perhaps because you named the news file "2020-04-dd-7-7-3-available.md» ? Not sure. The staging site is down at the moment, so hard to cross-check…

Jan

> 14. mai 2020 kl. 04:18 skrev Noble Paul <[hidden email]>:
>
> I just finished all the steps given in
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseTodo
>
> Please let me know if anything is missing.
> I still don't see the solr release details in https://lucene.apache.org/
>
> How do i do it?
>

> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'll fix them today
>>
>> On Thu, May 14, 2020, 9:19 AM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks. I’ve found one small change for the release script so far, I plan to batch all my notes together and commit them at the end of the process.
>>>
>>> Right now I think I’m waiting on a few final steps from 7.7.3 to complete and then we’ll be ready to roll with 8.5.2

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
I've committed the file name change directly to prod . It's showing
the correct version now
thanks,

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 7:28 PM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps because you named the news file "2020-04-dd-7-7-3-available.md» ? Not sure. The staging site is down at the moment, so hard to cross-check…
>
> Jan
>
> > 14. mai 2020 kl. 04:18 skrev Noble Paul <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > I just finished all the steps given in
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseTodo
> >
> > Please let me know if anything is missing.
> > I still don't see the solr release details in https://lucene.apache.org/
> >
> > How do i do it?
> >

> > On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'll fix them today

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Mike Drob-3

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:18 PM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just finished all the steps given in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseTodo

Please let me know if anything is missing.
I still don't see the solr release details in https://lucene.apache.org/

How do i do it?

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll fix them today
>
> On Thu, May 14, 2020, 9:19 AM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks. I’ve found one small change for the release script so far, I plan to batch all my notes together and commit them at the end of the process.
>>
>> Right now I think I’m waiting on a few final steps from 7.7.3 to complete and then we’ll be ready to roll with 8.5.2
>>
>> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 4:59 PM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mike, I merged latest changes to releaseWizard to branch_8_5 as well. So you’ll be first to test the new instructions for updating the web site. So please be prepared for discovering quirks in that part of the releaseWizard.
>>>
>>> Jan

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
Are you are talking about these?

https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/commit/ba0891415e9567bac96ace79013184aa039ac580

https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/commit/ada8be1b45d97c45234b45ae00ddce3425631420

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 3:41 AM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Noble,
>
> We're still missing a few:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseTodo#ReleaseTodo-UpdatetheprojectDOAPfiles
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseTodo#ReleaseTodo-GenerateBackcompatIndexes
>
> Also, the release is not on the mirrors - https://lucene.apache.org/core/downloads.html
> The link to https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/lucene/java/7.7.3/lucene-7.7.3-src.tgz doesn't resolve to anything...
>
> Mike
>
> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:18 PM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I just finished all the steps given in
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseTodo
>>
>> Please let me know if anything is missing.
>> I still don't see the solr release details in https://lucene.apache.org/
>>
>> How do i do it?
>>

>> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'll fix them today

Re: [DISCUSS] 8.5.2 Release?

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
./poll-mirrors.py -version 7.7.3                                                                                                                                                                1 ↵  11084  09:51:08

2020-05-15 09:52:38
Polling 204 Apache Mirrors and Maven Central...
XXXX.X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

7.7.3 is downloadable from Maven Central
7.7.3 is downloadable from 5/204 Apache Mirrors (2.45%)
Sleeping for 262 seconds...

The RM job is not done until it is done…

Note that you need to apply https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9288 to the poll-mirrors script for it to work. Do you have any idea why only 5 mirrors are updated Noble?

Jan