Default Logging: OFF

Fuad Efendi

Hi,
How to set *default* SOLR logging level to OFF? My logs quickly become very
huge...

Re: Default Logging: OFF

Bill Au
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ?highlight=%28logging%29#head-ffe035452f21ffdb4e4658c2f87777f6553bd6ca

Solr uses JDK standard logging so you should be able to change its log level
as part of the configuration of your container.
The admin GUI can also be used to change the logging level once Solr is up
and running.

Bill

On Feb 12, 2008 11:54 PM, Fuad Efendi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> How to set *default* SOLR logging level to OFF? My logs quickly become
> very
> huge...

RE: Default Logging: OFF

Fuad Efendi
Would be nice to set default logging OFF.
- improved performance
- no need to open admin console after each (possible automated) SOLR restart
- no need to alter files outside SOLR (security...)

What I see from Admin Console is small subset of standard Java logging API:
[ALL] [CONFIG] [FINE] [FINER] [FINEST] [INFO] [OFF] [SEVERE] [WARNING]

- we are using SINGLE(!) logger for all classes and packages (at least via
Admin Console).

Isn't it better to have defaults and parameter in solrconfig.xml?

> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ?highlight=%28logging%29#head-f
fe035452f21ffdb4e4658c2f87777f6553bd6ca

> Solr uses JDK standard logging so you should be able to
> change its log level
> as part of the configuration of your container.
> The admin GUI can also be used to change the logging level
> once Solr is up
> and running.

Re: Default Logging: OFF

Bill Au
Those levels comes from java.util.logging.Level:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/logging/Level.html

I disagree that the default should be off.  Logging doesn't impact
performance that much unless it is set to something like FINEST.
I don't think you want to ignore SECERE and/or WARNING message.

Bill

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Fuad Efendi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would be nice to set default logging OFF.
> - improved performance
> - no need to open admin console after each (possible automated) SOLR
> restart
> - no need to alter files outside SOLR (security...)
>
> What I see from Admin Console is small subset of standard Java logging
> API:
> [ALL] [CONFIG] [FINE] [FINER] [FINEST] [INFO] [OFF] [SEVERE] [WARNING]
>
> - we are using SINGLE(!) logger for all classes and packages (at least via
> Admin Console).
>
> Isn't it better to have defaults and parameter in solrconfig.xml?
>

> > http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ?highlight=%28logging%29#head-f
> fe035452f21ffdb4e4658c2f87777f6553bd6ca<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ?highlight=%28logging%29#head-ffe035452f21ffdb4e4658c2f87777f6553bd6ca>
> >
> > Solr uses JDK standard logging so you should be able to
> > change its log level
> > as part of the configuration of your container.
> > The admin GUI can also be used to change the logging level
> > once Solr is up
> > and running.

RE: Default Logging: OFF

Fuad Efendi
Currently, default settings output "UPDATE" messages (thousands per second
in my case). Is it WARNING/SEVERE setting in SOLR source?

> I disagree that the default should be off.  Logging doesn't impact
> performance that much unless it is set to something like FINEST.
> I don't think you want to ignore SECERE and/or WARNING message.

RE: Default Logging: OFF

hossman
: Currently, default settings output "UPDATE" messages (thousands per second
: in my case). Is it WARNING/SEVERE setting in SOLR source?

They are INFO level messages, which is the jvm defualt.

One INFO level message per request doesn't seem that excessive to me,
almost any HTTP server i can think of is going to have an access log that
records even more info per request.

Solr doens't have any logging configuration options in the solrconfig.xml
for a variety of reasons, a few off hte top of my head...

  * most servlet containers already have a way to cofigure logging.  If
solr had it's own way (that trumped the servlet container) that would piss
a lot of people off would expect their container configs to work, and make
configuring solr really confusing.

  * even if people use a servlet container that doesn't have a
convinient way to configure logging, the JVM has a default logging
configuration mechanism which allows for truely globals logging
configuration (used by every JVM instance on the machine) with overrides
possible per JVM.  If solr had it's own way (that trumped the servlet
container) that would piss a lot of people who would expect the JVM
default configuration to work, and make configuring solr really confusing.

RE: Default Logging: OFF

Fuad Efendi
Thanks...
I am thinking about making *persistent* runtime configuration options
(available via SOLR admin screen)... It would be best option... Of course we
can write (global) config file and put it somewhere, even for people "who
would expect the JVM
default configuration to work" - many people expect HTTP Client to work
without deadlocks ;) in Java 6 (even 1.5.14; SUN)(what about backward
compatibility? Write once run everywhere?!!)

> : Currently, default settings output "UPDATE" messages
> (thousands per second
> : in my case). Is it WARNING/SEVERE setting in SOLR source?
>
> They are INFO level messages, which is the jvm defualt.
>
> One INFO level message per request doesn't seem that excessive to me,
> almost any HTTP server i can think of is going to have an
> access log that
> records even more info per request.
>
> Solr doens't have any logging configuration options in the
> solrconfig.xml
> for a variety of reasons, a few off hte top of my head...
>
>   * most servlet containers already have a way to cofigure
> logging.  If
> solr had it's own way (that trumped the servlet container)
> that would piss
> a lot of people off would expect their container configs to
> work, and make
> configuring solr really confusing.
>
>   * even if people use a servlet container that doesn't have a
> convinient way to configure logging, the JVM has a default logging
> configuration mechanism which allows for truely globals logging
> configuration (used by every JVM instance on the machine)
> with overrides
> possible per JVM.  If solr had it's own way (that trumped the servlet
> container) that would piss a lot of people who would expect the JVM
> default configuration to work, and make configuring solr
> really confusing.

Re: Default Logging: OFF

Mike Klaas
I wouldn't really be happy with such a solution.  The admin gui is a
diagnostic/inspection tool, not a graphical configuration mechanism.
Also, it would seem odd to have a config parameter in Solr that
overrode explicitly-configured container/jvm settings unnecessarily.

-Mike

On 15-Feb-08, at 6:34 PM, Fuad Efendi wrote:

> Thanks...
> I am thinking about making *persistent* runtime configuration options
> (available via SOLR admin screen)... It would be best option... Of
> course we
> can write (global) config file and put it somewhere, even for people
> "who
> would expect the JVM
> default configuration to work" - many people expect HTTP Client to
> work
> without deadlocks ;) in Java 6 (even 1.5.14; SUN)(what about backward
> compatibility? Write once run everywhere?!!)
>

>> : Currently, default settings output "UPDATE" messages
>> (thousands per second
>> : in my case). Is it WARNING/SEVERE setting in SOLR source?
>>
>> They are INFO level messages, which is the jvm defualt.
>>
>> One INFO level message per request doesn't seem that excessive to me,
>> almost any HTTP server i can think of is going to have an
>> access log that
>> records even more info per request.
>>
>> Solr doens't have any logging configuration options in the
>> solrconfig.xml
>> for a variety of reasons, a few off hte top of my head...
>>
>>  * most servlet containers already have a way to cofigure
>> logging.  If
>> solr had it's own way (that trumped the servlet container)
>> that would piss
>> a lot of people off would expect their container configs to
>> work, and make
>> configuring solr really confusing.
>>
>>  * even if people use a servlet container that doesn't have a
>> convinient way to configure logging, the JVM has a default logging
>> configuration mechanism which allows for truely globals logging
>> configuration (used by every JVM instance on the machine)
>> with overrides
>> possible per JVM.  If solr had it's own way (that trumped the servlet
>> container) that would piss a lot of people who would expect the JVM
>> default configuration to work, and make configuring solr
>> really confusing.

RE: Default Logging: OFF

hossman

: I am thinking about making *persistent* runtime configuration options
: (available via SOLR admin screen)... It would be best option... Of course we
: can write (global) config file and put it somewhere, even for people "who
: would expect the JVM

As mike said: the admin screen isn't really designed to be a config
management GUI.  if you want persistent configuration for logging, there
are standard places for that info to live ... if you want a custom logging
configuration file for Solr, you can make one (using the default JDK
logging properties syntax) and specify it when you start your JVM.

-Hoss