Deploying Solr CORES on OVH Cloud

Rosa (Anuncios)
Hi,

I'm a bit new in Solr. I'm trying to set up a bunch of server (just for
solr) on OVH cloud (http://www.ovh.co.uk/cloud/) and create new cores as
needed on each server.

First question:

What do you recommend: Ubuntu or Debian? I mean in term od performance?

Second question:

Jetty or Tomcat? Again in term of performance and security?

Third question:

I've followed all the wiki but i can't get it working the CORES...
Impossible to create CORE or access my cores? Does anyone have a working
config to share?

Thanks a lot for your help

Re: Deploying Solr CORES on OVH Cloud

Billnbell
The first two questions are almost like religion. I am not sure we
want to start a debate.

Core setup is fairly easy. Add a solr.xml file and subdirs one per
core (see example/) directory. Make sure you use the right URL for the
admin console.

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Rosa (Anuncios)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit new in Solr. I'm trying to set up a bunch of server (just for
> solr) on OVH cloud (http://www.ovh.co.uk/cloud/) and create new cores as
> needed on each server.
>
> First question:
>
> What do you recommend: Ubuntu or Debian? I mean in term od performance?
>
> Second question:
>
> Jetty or Tomcat? Again in term of performance and security?
>
> Third question:
>
> I've followed all the wiki but i can't get it working the CORES...
> Impossible to create CORE or access my cores? Does anyone have a working
> config to share?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help
>
> Regards,

Re: Deploying Solr CORES on OVH Cloud

Rosa (Anuncios)
Thanks for your response, but it doesn't help me a whole lot!

Jetty VS Tomcat?
Ubuntu o Debian?

What are the pro of solr using?

Le 14/02/2011 23:12, William Bell a écrit :

> The first two questions are almost like religion. I am not sure we
> want to start a debate.
>
> Core setup is fairly easy. Add a solr.xml file and subdirs one per
> core (see example/) directory. Make sure you use the right URL for the
> admin console.
>
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Rosa (Anuncios)
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a bit new in Solr. I'm trying to set up a bunch of server (just for
>> solr) on OVH cloud (http://www.ovh.co.uk/cloud/) and create new cores as
>> needed on each server.
>>
>> First question:
>>
>> What do you recommend: Ubuntu or Debian? I mean in term od performance?
>>
>> Second question:
>>
>> Jetty or Tomcat? Again in term of performance and security?
>>
>> Third question:
>>
>> I've followed all the wiki but i can't get it working the CORES...
>> Impossible to create CORE or access my cores? Does anyone have a working
>> config to share?
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your help
>>
>> Regards,

Re: Deploying Solr CORES on OVH Cloud

Erick Erickson
The usual answer is "whatever you're most comfortable/experienced with".
From my perspective, there's enough to learn getting Solr running and
understanding how search works without throwing new environments into
the mix...

So, I'd pick the one you're most familiar with and use that. If you're
not familiar
with either, flip a coin <G>...

This isn't all that  helpful either, but all that means is that this
is a question
that doesn't have a one-recommendation-fits-all answer.

Best
Erick

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Rosa (Anuncios)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your response, but it doesn't help me a whole lot!
>
> Jetty VS Tomcat?
> Ubuntu o Debian?
>
> What are the pro of solr using?
>

> Le 14/02/2011 23:12, William Bell a écrit :
>>
>> The first two questions are almost like religion. I am not sure we
>> want to start a debate.
>>
>> Core setup is fairly easy. Add a solr.xml file and subdirs one per
>> core (see example/) directory. Make sure you use the right URL for the
>> admin console.
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Rosa (Anuncios)
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm a bit new in Solr. I'm trying to set up a bunch of server (just for
>>> solr) on OVH cloud (http://www.ovh.co.uk/cloud/) and create new cores as
>>> needed on each server.
>>>
>>> First question:
>>>
>>> What do you recommend: Ubuntu or Debian? I mean in term od performance?
>>>
>>> Second question:
>>>
>>> Jetty or Tomcat? Again in term of performance and security?
>>>
>>> Third question:
>>>
>>> I've followed all the wiki but i can't get it working the CORES...
>>> Impossible to create CORE or access my cores? Does anyone have a working
>>> config to share?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot for your help
>>>
>>> Regards,

Re: Deploying Solr CORES on OVH Cloud

Otis Gospodnetic-2

Jetty on Ubuntu has been working well for us and a bunch of our customers.

Otis
----
Sematext :: http://sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - Nutch