Dev platforms - installers

Dejan Nenov-2
Would there be an interest in developing / contributing "canned" installers
for the more popular IDEs.

I would love to have a continuously built set of install JARs that let me
install the Lucene sources, test apps, contributions and necessary libraries
in one shot on my choice of Eclipse, NetBeans or IntelliJ IDE. Setting up
and juggling project files, workspaces, debugger settings, etc. for various
contributed code and sub-projects can be very annoying.

Dejan

Re: Dev platforms - installers

Grant Ingersoll
Hey Dejan,

Don't know if it is an option for you, but I use Maven for all of
this.  You specify your Project model along with all of its
dependencies and it has plugins that create project files for
IntelliJ and Eclipse (not sure about NetBeans).  With a little
tweaking, it setups our version control, source locations, compiler/
debugger settings, etc.

-Grant

On Aug 22, 2006, at 6:07 PM, Dejan Nenov wrote:

> Would there be an interest in developing / contributing "canned"
> installers
> for the more popular IDEs.
>

> I would love to have a continuously built set of install JARs that
> let me
> install the Lucene sources, test apps, contributions and necessary
> libraries
> in one shot on my choice of Eclipse, NetBeans or IntelliJ IDE.
> Setting up
> and juggling project files, workspaces, debugger settings, etc. for
> various
> contributed code and sub-projects can be very annoying.
>

> Dejan

RE: Dev platforms - installers

Dejan Nenov-2
Hi Grant,

We tried Maven, but found it extremely tedious - yes I admit we are
influenced by the commercial nature of our work and have to tradeoff our
purist software engineering tendencies with pragmatic deadlines :)
My colleges, John wrote this up on the topic: http://safaridev.com/

In a nutshell - setting up Maven is not for someone who is pressed for time.
I would really like to see the mythical "one-click installer" - run it, it
discovers your development environment & IDE, then places JAR and libs where
they belong, adds classpaths and project files as necessary, and starts your
IDE with the Lucene project already loaded.

This will greatly increase the number of developers who can try their hand
with Lucene, I believe.

Dejan

PS. Were you at SIGIR? Would be interested on your thoughts on the Turpin &
Scholer (RMIT Melbourne, AU) paper!

Don't know if it is an option for you, but I use Maven for all of
this.  You specify your Project model along with all of its
dependencies and it has plugins that create project files for
IntelliJ and Eclipse (not sure about NetBeans).  With a little
tweaking, it setups our version control, source locations, compiler/
debugger settings, etc.

-Grant

On Aug 22, 2006, at 6:07 PM, Dejan Nenov wrote:

> Would there be an interest in developing / contributing "canned"
> installers
> for the more popular IDEs.
>

> I would love to have a continuously built set of install JARs that
> let me
> install the Lucene sources, test apps, contributions and necessary
> libraries
> in one shot on my choice of Eclipse, NetBeans or IntelliJ IDE.
> Setting up
> and juggling project files, workspaces, debugger settings, etc. for
> various
> contributed code and sub-projects can be very annoying.
>

> Dejan

Re: Dev platforms - installers

James liu-2
i think everyone like "one-click installer"

2006/8/23, Dejan Nenov <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Grant,
>
> We tried Maven, but found it extremely tedious - yes I admit we are
> influenced by the commercial nature of our work and have to tradeoff our
> purist software engineering tendencies with pragmatic deadlines :)
> My colleges, John wrote this up on the topic: http://safaridev.com/
>
> In a nutshell - setting up Maven is not for someone who is pressed for
> time.
> I would really like to see the mythical "one-click installer" - run it, it
> discovers your development environment & IDE, then places JAR and libs
> where
> they belong, adds classpaths and project files as necessary, and starts
> your
> IDE with the Lucene project already loaded.
>
> This will greatly increase the number of developers who can try their hand
> with Lucene, I believe.
>
> Dejan
>
> PS. Were you at SIGIR? Would be interested on your thoughts on the Turpin
> &
> Scholer (RMIT Melbourne, AU) paper!

Lukáš Vlček
Hi Grant,

Does it mean you already have maven script for Nutch, Lucene or Hadoop
(or all of them)?
I would be interested in it. Could you send me it or post somewhere no
the web or create wiki page for it?

Regards,
Lukas