Distribution and Tomcat

jrodenburg
I'm reading in earnest the wiki entries regarding collection distribution
and the master/slave operational basis.  This is very similar to what we've
used previously in our operation based on the lucene core.  We're deploying
initially on Tomcat 5.5.17, Linux RHEL 3 and the latest bits from Solr.

My question concerns how Solr handles slave querying & configuration.

- How is failover achieved?
- How is performance load balancing achieved?

thanks,
jeff r.

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

Bill Au
Solr itself does not handle failover and load balancing of the slave
servers.
You can put a load balancer in front of the pool of slave servers for that.
You can add and remove slave servers from the pool dynamicly without
making any change of the master and other slaves.

Bill

On 6/23/06, Jeff Rodenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm reading in earnest the wiki entries regarding collection distribution
> and the master/slave operational basis.  This is very similar to what
> we've
> used previously in our operation based on the lucene core.  We're
> deploying
> initially on Tomcat 5.5.17, Linux RHEL 3 and the latest bits from Solr.
>
> My question concerns how Solr handles slave querying & configuration.
>
> - How is failover achieved?
> - How is performance load balancing achieved?
>

> thanks,
> jeff r.

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

Chris Hostetter-3

: You can put a load balancer in front of the pool of slave servers for that.

Solr does have some features designed to make Load Balancing easy

  * "healthcheck" URLs that your LoadBalancer can query to determine when
it should add/remove a server from rotation

  * a pingQuery which allowing you to control in the solrconfig.xml what
query should be executed when a LoadBalancer (or anyone) hits the
/admin/ping URL for checkign the response time of various slaves if you
want "response time" load balancing.

Neither of which seeem to be documented very well in the Wiki...

Bill, do you think maybe you could add a little bit on each of these to
the SolrConfigXml wiki page?

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

jrodenburg
Should the /admin/ping URL work on any Solr instance? i.e.,
http://solr-server:8080/solr/admin/ping?  I'm seeing a 500 error.
Based on this information, it doesn't sound as if any failover or LB
capacity in Tomcat is being used.  Is that correct?

thanks,

> : You can put a load balancer in front of the pool of slave servers for
> that.
>
> Solr does have some features designed to make Load Balancing easy
>
>   * "healthcheck" URLs that your LoadBalancer can query to determine when
> it should add/remove a server from rotation
>
>   * a pingQuery which allowing you to control in the solrconfig.xml what
> query should be executed when a LoadBalancer (or anyone) hits the
> /admin/ping URL for checkign the response time of various slaves if you
> want "response time" load balancing.
>
> Neither of which seeem to be documented very well in the Wiki...
>
> Bill, do you think maybe you could add a little bit on each of these to
> the SolrConfigXml wiki page?
>

> -Hoss

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

jrodenburg
O/E on the ping.  Just found the adminPing config setting.

On 6/23/06, Jeff Rodenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should the /admin/ping URL work on any Solr instance? i.e.,
> http://solr-server:8080/solr/admin/ping?  I'm seeing a 500 error.
> Based on this information, it doesn't sound as if any failover or LB
> capacity in Tomcat is being used.  Is that correct?
>
> thanks,
>

> On 6/23/06, Chris Hostetter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > : You can put a load balancer in front of the pool of slave servers for
> > that.
> >
> > Solr does have some features designed to make Load Balancing easy
> >
> >   * "healthcheck" URLs that your LoadBalancer can query to determine
> > when
> > it should add/remove a server from rotation
> >
> >   * a pingQuery which allowing you to control in the solrconfig.xml what
> > query should be executed when a LoadBalancer (or anyone) hits the
> > /admin/ping URL for checkign the response time of various slaves if you
> > want "response time" load balancing.
> >
> > Neither of which seeem to be documented very well in the Wiki...
> >
> > Bill, do you think maybe you could add a little bit on each of these to
> > the SolrConfigXml wiki page?
> >

> > -Hoss

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

Chris Hostetter-3

: Based on this information, it doesn't sound as if any failover or LB
: capacity in Tomcat is being used.  Is that correct?

Correct, Solr doesn't try to take advantage of any special features in any
one servlet container (Tomcat or otherwise)

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

Bill Au
I added what I considered a first draft into the solrconfig.xml wiki.

Bill

> : You can put a load balancer in front of the pool of slave servers for
> that.
>
> Solr does have some features designed to make Load Balancing easy
>
>   * "healthcheck" URLs that your LoadBalancer can query to determine when
> it should add/remove a server from rotation
>
>   * a pingQuery which allowing you to control in the solrconfig.xml what
> query should be executed when a LoadBalancer (or anyone) hits the
> /admin/ping URL for checkign the response time of various slaves if you
> want "response time" load balancing.
>
> Neither of which seeem to be documented very well in the Wiki...
>
> Bill, do you think maybe you could add a little bit on each of these to
> the SolrConfigXml wiki page?
>

> -Hoss

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

jrodenburg