Do I need Searcher on indexing machine

Gudata
Hi, I want (if possible) to dedicate one machine only for indexing and to be optimized only for that. In solrconfig.xml, I have: - commented all cache statements - set to use cold searchers. - set 1 In the log files I see this all the time: INFO: Registered new searcher Searcher@1d314cc main Jul 10, 2008 12:49:59 PM org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher close INFO: Closing Searcher@93f13f main Why Solr is registering new searcher all the time. Is this overhead, and if yes, how to stop it?

Re: Do I need Searcher on indexing machine

climbingrose
You do, I think. Have a look at DirectUpdateHandler2 class.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Gudata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I want (if possible) to dedicate one machine only for indexing and to be
> optimized only for that.
>
> In solrconfig.xml, I have:
> - commented all cache statements
> - set to use cold searchers.
> - set 1
>

> In the log files I see this all the time:
>
> INFO: Registered new searcher Searcher@1d314cc main
> Jul 10, 2008 12:49:59 PM org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher close
> INFO: Closing Searcher@93f13f main
>
> Why Solr is registering new searcher all the time. Is this overhead, and if
> yes, how to stop it?

Cuong Hoang

Re: Do I need Searcher on indexing machine

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
Searcher is started anyway. I do not think it is very expensive if the
searcher is not used.

--Noble Paul

Re: Do I need Searcher on indexing machine

Mike Klaas

On 10-Jul-08, at 4:16 AM, Gudata wrote:

> Why Solr is registering new searcher all the time. Is this overhead,
> and if
> yes, how to stop it?

It is needed for deleteByQuery.  Its overhead is negligable if unused.

-Mike