Downloading files from the solr replication Handler

Downloading files from the solr replication Handler

Eva Lacy-2
I downloaded some configuration and data files directly from solr in an
attempt to develop a backup solution.
I noticed there is some characters at the start and end of the file that
aren't in configuration files, I notice the same characters at the start
and end of the data files.
Anyone with any idea how I can download these files without the extra
characters or predict how many there are going to be so I can skip them?

Re: Downloading files from the solr replication Handler

Eva Lacy-2
Just to add to that, I'm using solr 3.6.1

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Eva Lacy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I downloaded some configuration and data files directly from solr in an
> attempt to develop a backup solution.
> I noticed there is some characters at the start and end of the file that
> aren't in configuration files, I notice the same characters at the start
> and end of the data files.
> Anyone with any idea how I can download these files without the extra
> characters or predict how many there are going to be so I can skip them?

Re: Downloading files from the solr replication Handler

Erick Erickson
How are you downloading them? I suspect the issue is
with the download process rather than Solr, but I'm just guessing.

Best
Erick

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Eva Lacy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just to add to that, I'm using solr 3.6.1
>

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Eva Lacy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I downloaded some configuration and data files directly from solr in an
> > attempt to develop a backup solution.
> > I noticed there is some characters at the start and end of the file that
> > aren't in configuration files, I notice the same characters at the start
> > and end of the data files.
> > Anyone with any idea how I can download these files without the extra
> > characters or predict how many there are going to be so I can skip them?

Re: Downloading files from the solr replication Handler

Eva Lacy-2
I tried downloading them with my browser and also with a c# WebRequest.
If I skip the first and last 4 bytes it seems work fine.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 2:28 AM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> How are you downloading them? I suspect the issue is
> with the download process rather than Solr, but I'm just guessing.
>
> Best
> Erick
>

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Eva Lacy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Just to add to that, I'm using solr 3.6.1
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Eva Lacy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I downloaded some configuration and data files directly from solr in an
> > > attempt to develop a backup solution.
> > > I noticed there is some characters at the start and end of the file
> that
> > > aren't in configuration files, I notice the same characters at the
> start
> > > and end of the data files.
> > > Anyone with any idea how I can download these files without the extra
> > > characters or predict how many there are going to be so I can skip
> them?

Re: Downloading files from the solr replication Handler

Lance Norskog-2
Maybe these are text encoding markers?

| I tried downloading them with my browser and also with a c#
| WebRequest.
| If I skip the first and last 4 bytes it seems work fine.
|

| On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 2:28 AM, Erick Erickson
| <[hidden email]>wrote:
|
| > How are you downloading them? I suspect the issue is
| > with the download process rather than Solr, but I'm just guessing.
| >
| > Best
| > Erick
| >

| > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Eva Lacy <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > > Just to add to that, I'm using solr 3.6.1

| > that
| > start
| > them?

Re: Downloading files from the solr replication Handler

Eva Lacy-2
Doesn't make much sense if they are in binary files as well.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Lance Norskog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe these are text encoding markers?

tag me baffled. But these are copied around all the time so I'm guessing an
interaction between your servlet container and your request, which is like
saying "it must be magic". You can tell I'm into places where I'm
clueless....

Sorry I can't be more help
Erick

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 4:06 AM, Eva Lacy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Doesn't make much sense if they are in binary files as well.
>

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Lance Norskog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Maybe these are text encoding markers?

Alexandre Rafalovitch
What mime type you get for binary files? Maybe server is misconfigured for
that extension and sends them as text. Then they could be the markers.

Do they look like markers?

Regards,
    Alex
On 30 Nov 2012 04:06, "Eva Lacy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Doesn't make much sense if they are in binary files as well.
>

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Lance Norskog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Maybe these are text encoding markers?

They are the '\0' character.
what is a marker?

Gettting the following with a wget