Dropping support for JDK6 in Apache Hadoop

Dropping support for JDK6 in Apache Hadoop

Arun Murthy
[Apologies for the wide distribution.]

Dear HBase/Hive/Pig/Oozie communities,

 We, over at Hadoop are considering dropping support for JDK6 this year.

 As you maybe aware we just released hadoop-2.5.0 and are now considering making the next release i.e. hadoop-2.6.0 the *last* release of Apache Hadoop which supports JDK6. This means, from hadoop-2.7.0 onwards we will not support JDK6 anymore and we *may* start relying on JDK7-specific apis.

 Now, the above releases a proposal and we do not want to pull the trigger without talking to projects downstream - hence the request for you feedback.

 Please feel free to forward this to other communities you might deem to be at risk from this too.

thanks,
Arun

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Dropping support for JDK6 in Apache Hadoop

Konstantin Boudnik-2
While it sounds like a topic for a different discussion (or list@), do you
think it would be too crazy to skip JDK7 completely and just go to JDK8
directly? I think downstream components like HBase, Spark and so on would be a
huge driving factor to make the same change in Hadoop and other parts of the
ecosystem.

Thoughts?
  Cos

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 11:23AM, Devaraj Das wrote:

> I think we are good on HBase side, at least on the 1.x+ branches. We
> are dropping support for 1.6 from HBase-1.0 onwards.
>
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Arun C Murthy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > [Apologies for the wide distribution.]
> >
> > Dear HBase/Hive/Pig/Oozie communities,
> >
> >  We, over at Hadoop are considering dropping support for JDK6 this year.
> >
> >  As you maybe aware we just released hadoop-2.5.0 and are now considering making the next release i.e. hadoop-2.6.0 the *last* release of Apache Hadoop which supports JDK6. This means, from hadoop-2.7.0 onwards we will not support JDK6 anymore and we *may* start relying on JDK7-specific apis.
> >
> >  Now, the above releases a proposal and we do not want to pull the trigger without talking to projects downstream - hence the request for you feedback.
> >
> >  Please feel free to forward this to other communities you might deem to be at risk from this too.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Arun
> >

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> > NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
> > of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
> > received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Dropping support for JDK6 in Apache Hadoop

Steve Loughran-3
On 19 August 2014 19:44, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While it sounds like a topic for a different discussion (or list@), do you
> think it would be too crazy to skip JDK7 completely and just go to JDK8
> directly?

The trouble with that as nobody who provides commercial big-data stacks is
going to to commit to  java 8+ only in 2014, or the things downstream.

Switching to Java 7 now not only gives us a start to that by getting off
all pretence of Java 6 support, it frees up those QE teams from having to
look at Java 7.

While the Java 8 language changes are the really compelling ones, mandating
it right now would only postpone any switch to Java > 6.

Otherwise, I'm +1 for any switch to Java 7, and in the slider project we're
ready for it as soon as the switch can happen.

-steve

> I think downstream components like HBase, Spark and so on would be a
> huge driving factor to make the same change in Hadoop and other parts of
> the
> ecosystem.
>
> Thoughts?
>   Cos
>
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 11:23AM, Devaraj Das wrote:
> > I think we are good on HBase side, at least on the 1.x+ branches. We
> > are dropping support for 1.6 from HBase-1.0 onwards.
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Arun C Murthy <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > > [Apologies for the wide distribution.]
> > >
> > > Dear HBase/Hive/Pig/Oozie communities,
> > >
> > >  We, over at Hadoop are considering dropping support for JDK6 this
> year.
> > >
> > >  As you maybe aware we just released hadoop-2.5.0 and are now
> considering making the next release i.e. hadoop-2.6.0 the *last* release of
> Apache Hadoop which supports JDK6. This means, from hadoop-2.7.0 onwards we
> will not support JDK6 anymore and we *may* start relying on JDK7-specific
> apis.
> > >
> > >  Now, the above releases a proposal and we do not want to pull the
> trigger without talking to projects downstream - hence the request for you
> feedback.
> > >
> > >  Please feel free to forward this to other communities you might deem
> to be at risk from this too.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Arun
> > >

> > > --
> > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> entity to
> reader
> that
> immediately
> >
> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Dropping support for JDK6 in Apache Hadoop

Roman Shaposhnik-2
FWIW: in Bigtop we've made the switch to JDK7 for the Bigtop
0.8.0 release across the board. No major issues so far.

Thanks,
Roman.

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Arun C Murthy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Apologies for the wide distribution.]
>
> Dear HBase/Hive/Pig/Oozie communities,
>
>  We, over at Hadoop are considering dropping support for JDK6 this year.
>
>  As you maybe aware we just released hadoop-2.5.0 and are now considering making the next release i.e. hadoop-2.6.0 the *last* release of Apache Hadoop which supports JDK6. This means, from hadoop-2.7.0 onwards we will not support JDK6 anymore and we *may* start relying on JDK7-specific apis.
>
>  Now, the above releases a proposal and we do not want to pull the trigger without talking to projects downstream - hence the request for you feedback.
>
>  Please feel free to forward this to other communities you might deem to be at risk from this too.
>
> thanks,
> Arun
>

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Dropping support for JDK6 in Apache Hadoop

Matt Foley-2
Yes, in terms of forward compatibility, my company has been certifying the
current Hadoop-related stack on JDK7 (both Oracle and OpenJDK) for some
time.  No problems there, in our experience.

For stopping supporting JDK6 in the near future, and enabling JDK7 feature
usage, +1.

--Matt

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW: in Bigtop we've made the switch to JDK7 for the Bigtop
> 0.8.0 release across the board. No major issues so far.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.
>
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Arun C Murthy <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > [Apologies for the wide distribution.]
> >
> > Dear HBase/Hive/Pig/Oozie communities,
> >
> >  We, over at Hadoop are considering dropping support for JDK6 this year.
> >
> >  As you maybe aware we just released hadoop-2.5.0 and are now
> considering making the next release i.e. hadoop-2.6.0 the *last* release of
> Apache Hadoop which supports JDK6. This means, from hadoop-2.7.0 onwards we
> will not support JDK6 anymore and we *may* start relying on JDK7-specific
> apis.
> >
> >  Now, the above releases a proposal and we do not want to pull the
> trigger without talking to projects downstream - hence the request for you
> feedback.
> >
> >  Please feel free to forward this to other communities you might deem to
> be at risk from this too.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Arun
> >

> > --