Error running MapReduce - Jetty server & .jsp files

Error running MapReduce - Jetty server & .jsp files

Ken Krugler-3
Hi all,

After a bit of thrashing with RSA keys and having to move
/Nutch/src/webapps up to /Nutch, I've gotten the 1/12/2006 build of
Nutch running on three servers.

The "master" is running as a NameNode & JobTracker, and two slaves
are running as DataNodes and TaskTrackers.

I'm running into a problem with using the JobTracker web interface.

I can see the two .jsp files (jobdetails.jsp and jobtracker.jsp) when
I point my browser at http://master:50030, but when I actually try to
run one of the JSPs (e.g. http://master:50030/jobdetails.jsp) I get a
500 error.

The nutch-crawler-jobtracker-main1.log file on the master tells me
that Jetty wasn't able to compile the .jsp because of a classpath
problem. The relevant portion of the log says:

060114 110818 SEVERE Javac exception
Unable to find a javac compiler;
com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK

[snip]

I've verified that JAVA_HOME is set to /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05

Is the problem because this isn't a full JDK?

What's confusing to me is that the classpath dumped by Jetty in the
log looks like:

classpath=/tmp/Jetty__50030___24406:/usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/lib/ext/localedata.jar:/usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/lib/ext/sunpkcs11.jar
[snip]

So obviously somebody is using JAVA_HOME to build the path to these .jar files.

But JAVA_HOME (the top-level path, ie /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05) isn't a
member of this classpath.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-- Ken
--
Ken Krugler
Krugle, Inc.
+1 530-470-9200

Re: Error running MapReduce - Jetty server & .jsp files

Raghavendra Prabhu
i think JAVA_HOME needs to point to JDK and not jre

For example tomcat requires the full JDK to run

Maybe it is the same issue with jetty

Prabhu

On 1/15/06, Ken Krugler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After a bit of thrashing with RSA keys and having to move
> /Nutch/src/webapps up to /Nutch, I've gotten the 1/12/2006 build of
> Nutch running on three servers.
>
> The "master" is running as a NameNode & JobTracker, and two slaves
> are running as DataNodes and TaskTrackers.
>
> I'm running into a problem with using the JobTracker web interface.
>
> I can see the two .jsp files (jobdetails.jsp and jobtracker.jsp) when
> I point my browser at http://master:50030, but when I actually try to
> run one of the JSPs (e.g. http://master:50030/jobdetails.jsp) I get a
> 500 error.
>
> The nutch-crawler-jobtracker-main1.log file on the master tells me
> that Jetty wasn't able to compile the .jsp because of a classpath
> problem. The relevant portion of the log says:
>
> 060114 110818 SEVERE Javac exception
> Unable to find a javac compiler;
> com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
> Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK
>
> [snip]
>
> I've verified that JAVA_HOME is set to /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05
>
> Is the problem because this isn't a full JDK?
>
> What's confusing to me is that the classpath dumped by Jetty in the
> log looks like:
>

> classpath=/tmp/Jetty__50030___24406:/usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/lib/ext/localedata.jar:/usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/lib/ext/sunpkcs11.jar
> [snip]
>
> So obviously somebody is using JAVA_HOME to build the path to these .jar
> files.
>
> But JAVA_HOME (the top-level path, ie /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05) isn't a
> member of this classpath.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Ken
> --
> Ken Krugler
> Krugle, Inc.
> +1 530-470-9200

Re: [Nutch-general] Error running MapReduce - Jetty server & .jsp files

Otis Gospodnetic-2-2
I believe javac is only included in the full JDK (not JRE).  Do 'which javac' or 'locate javac' or just do a fine in your $JAVA_HOME dir and look for javac.

Otis

Re: Error running MapReduce - Jetty server & .jsp files

John X
On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:46:42AM +0530, Raghavendra Prabhu wrote:
> i think JAVA_HOME needs to point to JDK and not jre
>
> For example tomcat requires the full JDK to run
>
> Maybe it is the same issue with jetty

I guess jdk is needed to compile jsp.
http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=425278

John

> Prabhu
>

> On 1/15/06, Ken Krugler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After a bit of thrashing with RSA keys and having to move
> > /Nutch/src/webapps up to /Nutch, I've gotten the 1/12/2006 build of
> > Nutch running on three servers.
> >
> > The "master" is running as a NameNode & JobTracker, and two slaves
> > are running as DataNodes and TaskTrackers.
> >
> > I'm running into a problem with using the JobTracker web interface.
> >
> > I can see the two .jsp files (jobdetails.jsp and jobtracker.jsp) when
> > I point my browser at http://master:50030, but when I actually try to
> > run one of the JSPs (e.g. http://master:50030/jobdetails.jsp) I get a
> > 500 error.
> >
> > The nutch-crawler-jobtracker-main1.log file on the master tells me
> > that Jetty wasn't able to compile the .jsp because of a classpath
> > problem. The relevant portion of the log says:
> >
> > 060114 110818 SEVERE Javac exception
> > Unable to find a javac compiler;
> > com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
> > Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > I've verified that JAVA_HOME is set to /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05
> >
> > Is the problem because this isn't a full JDK?
> >
> > What's confusing to me is that the classpath dumped by Jetty in the
> > log looks like:
> >

> > classpath=/tmp/Jetty__50030___24406:/usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/lib/ext/localedata.jar:/usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/lib/ext/sunpkcs11.jar
> > [snip]
> >
> > So obviously somebody is using JAVA_HOME to build the path to these .jar
> > files.
> >
> > But JAVA_HOME (the top-level path, ie /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05) isn't a
> > member of this classpath.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -- Ken
> > --
> > Ken Krugler
> > Krugle, Inc.
> > +1 530-470-9200

http://www.neasys.com - A Good Place to Be
Come to visit us today!

Re: [Nutch-general] Error running MapReduce - Jetty server & .jsp files

kkrugler
>I believe javac is only included in the full JDK (not JRE).  Do
>'which javac' or 'locate javac' or just do a fine in your $JAVA_HOME
>dir and look for javac.

Thanks for the input. Yes, the issue was actually a JDK vs. JRE problem.

What had confused me was that even after changing JAVA_HOME to the
1.4 JDK, I still got the same server result (internal server error)
from clicking on the http://master:50030/jobdetails.jsp.

But that was now caused by a different problem - if you don't pass in
a valid jobid param to the jobdetails.jsp, it dies with a null
pointer exception. This guy is only designed to be used via links
from the jobtracker.jsp page.

And thanks to Andrzej for his November post that noted this.

-- Ken

Ken Krugler

RE: [Nutch-general] Error running MapReduce - Jetty server & .jsp files

Fuad Efendi
Include tools.jar in your classpath.
tools.jar - this file contains javac compiler. It is not included with SUN's
JRE.