Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Rody BigData

I have some old ( not very old - each of 4GB RAM with a decent processor etc., and working fine till now ) Dell Windows XP machines and want to convert them to a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for a Hadoop cluster for my experimental purposes.

Can you give me some suggestions on how to proceed on this plan? My initial plan is to target 4 to 5 machines.

Does the hardware on which Windows XP machine is based supports RHEL?

Are there any other drivers or software should we install before installing RHEL on this machines?

How easy/difficult is this, if some one like a Linux Systems Administrator is involved in this?

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Niels Basjes
My first suggestion is to go for CentOS as it is free and almost the same as RHEL.
Also having a 64 bit OS lets you use a bit more of the installed memory

Then if you can simply install CentOS on these machines and have the network running you should be fine.

I have been running experiments on something identical to what you are describing here.

Niels Basjes

Niels Basjes

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Rody BigData
Thanks for the quick reply and advise. I work for a corporate and Red Hat Linux licenses is not an issue for us now. So we can plan it for 4 to 5 machines. So keeping that in mind - what would you recommend?

Alternatively, as per your suggestion, how easy is Cent OS installation? Where can i get the software? Can I install CentOS directly on the old machines or is it like a Virtual machine on Windows. Let me know please.

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Niels Basjes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Niels Basjes

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda-2
I have the same advice from Niels for your, Rody.
Use CentOS 6.3 x86_64 for your Hadoop cluster. You will be able to use the high performance kernel included in this version and the great performance of Java 1.6 on 64 bits systems.

You can use some of these guides for that:

Best wishes

--
Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda
Product Manager at PDVSA
http://about.me/marcosortiz

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Marco Shaw
If you're running XP, be aware of the others suggesting 64-bit.  That depends on the exact proc you're running.

You sort of need to break this down into first determining how to get Linux on your systems.

RHEL is pretty costly for a test, unless you've got that covered.  Go with CentOS for a proof of concept.

Get that covered first, then move on to determining how to get Hadoop on them.

Marco

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Rody BigData <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have some old ( not very old - each of 4GB RAM with a decent processor etc., and working fine till now ) Dell Windows XP machines and want to convert them to a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for a Hadoop cluster for my experimental purposes.

Can you give me some suggestions on how to proceed on this plan? My initial plan is to target 4 to 5 machines.

Does the hardware on which Windows XP machine is based supports RHEL?

Are there any other drivers or software should we install before installing RHEL on this machines?

How easy/difficult is this, if some one like a Linux Systems Administrator is involved in this?

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Marco Shaw
You should go look at a CentOS list for help...  It's really simple.

Try it first, then ask questions, if required.

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Rody BigData <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I've installed CentOS on several different types of old (originally Windows XP)  Dell desktops for the last 4 years (i.e. desktops as old as 7 years ago) and so far installing CentOS was as easy as booting from the installation CD/DVD and doing "next, next, finish".

The only thing that you may run into is that the specific cpu really doesn't support 64bit.
You'll get an error very early in the installation process.

Niels

On Jun 1, 2013 10:10 PM, "Rody BigData" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the reply and explanation. When the CPU doesn't support 64 bit , does CentOS fail ? Is there any work around or it is a show stopper?

Thanks,
Rody

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Niels Basjes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

If you can't install 64-bit, simply install 32-bit.  Basically, it means you have access to a smaller amount of RAM, even if you're using a computer with.

Honestly, getting Linux on your computers is going to be the easy part...

Marco