Facet Advice

Moyer, Brett
Hello, looking for some advice, I have the suspicion we are doing Facets all wrong. We host financial information and recently "tagged" our pages with appropriate Facets. We have built a Flat design. Are we going at it the wrong way?

In Solr we have a "Tags" field, based on some magic we tagged each page on the site with a number of the below example Facets. We have the UI team sending queries in the form of 1) q=get a loan&fq=Tags:Retirement, 2) q=get a loan&fq=Tags:Retirement AND Tags:Move Money. This restricts the resultset hopefully guiding the user to their desired result. Something about it doesn’t seem right. Is this right with a flat single level pattern like what we have? Should each doc have multiple Fields to map to different values? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Example Facets:
Brokerage
Retirement
Open an Account
Move Money
Estate Planning
Etc..

Brett
This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it.

TIAA

Re: Facet Advice

Shawn Heisey-2
On 10/14/2019 3:25 PM, Moyer, Brett wrote:

> Hello, looking for some advice, I have the suspicion we are doing Facets all wrong. We host financial information and recently "tagged" our pages with appropriate Facets. We have built a Flat design. Are we going at it the wrong way?
>
> In Solr we have a "Tags" field, based on some magic we tagged each page on the site with a number of the below example Facets. We have the UI team sending queries in the form of 1) q=get a loan&fq=Tags:Retirement, 2) q=get a loan&fq=Tags:Retirement AND Tags:Move Money. This restricts the resultset hopefully guiding the user to their desired result. Something about it doesn’t seem right. Is this right with a flat single level pattern like what we have? Should each doc have multiple Fields to map to different values? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Example Facets:
> Brokerage
> Retirement
> Open an Account
> Move Money
> Estate Planning

The queries you mentioned above do not have facets, only the q and fq
parameters.  You also have not mentioned what in the results is wrong to
you.

If you restrict the query to only a certain value in the tag field, then
facets will only count documents that match the full query -- users will
not be able to see the count of documents that do NOT match the query,
unless you use tagging/excluding with your filters.  This is part of the
functionality called multi-select faceting.

http://yonik.com/multi-select-faceting/

Because your message doesn't say what in the results is wrong, we can
only guess about how to help you.  I do not know if the above
information will be helpful or not.

Thanks,
Shawn

RE: Facet Advice

Moyer, Brett
Hello Shawn, thanks for reply. The results that come back are correct, but are we implementing the query correctly to filter by a selected facet? When I say wrong, it's more about the design/use of Facets in the Query. Is it proper to do fq=Tags:Retirement? Is using a Multivalued field correct for Facets? Why do you say the above are not Facets?

Here is an excerpt from our JSON:

"facet_counts": {
"facet_queries": {},
"facet_fields": {
"Tags": [
"Retirement",
1260,
"Locations & People",
1149,
"Advice and Tools",
1015,
"Careers",
156,
"Annuities",
101,
"Performance",

Brett Moyer
Manager, Sr. Technical Lead | TFS Technology
  Public Production Support
  Digital Search & Discovery

8625 Andrew Carnegie Blvd | 4th floor
Charlotte, NC 28263