Field compression

Charlie Jackson
I know I'm late to the party, but I recently learned that field compression was removed as of Solr 1.4.1. I think a lot of sites were relying on that feature, so I'm curious what people are doing now that it's gone. Specifically, what are people doing to efficiently store *and highlight* large fulltext fields? I can think of ways to store the text efficiently (compress it myself), or highlight it (leave it uncompressed), but not both at the same time.

Also, is anyone working on anything to restore compression to Solr? I understand it was removed because Lucene removed support for it, but I was hoping to upgrade my site to 3.1 soon and we rely on that feature.

- Charlie

Re: Field compression

David Smiley
It's probably not accurate to say that a lot of sites were *relying* on that feature. It's an optimization.

Getting a working patch applying to trunk is on my TODO-list within the next couple months.
"Watch" the issue to see when I get to it.

~ David Smiley
Author: http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/